Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get a mt-07 LA now or wait

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The LAMS V-Strom, MT07, Street 660, XSR, are all very capable bikes. The DR650 equally so. I draw the line at the street 500, it's built for people with short legs, not me.
    As soon as you're paying the rego for 600cc+, why not get all the torque and hp of ~1L. (if your licence allows of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I've often found that people who bag LAMS bikes due to their limited power often haven't actually ridden one.

The LAMS V-Strom, MT07, Street 660, XSR, are all very capable bikes. The DR650 equally so. I draw the line at the street 500, it's built for people with short legs, not me.

The GPz550 is another. In fact, the list is long of LAMS bikes that I'd have as my full time ride, if I wanted a mid range ride.

Folk who look down their noses at LAMS bikes are missing a treat. I'd have a Yamaha RD400 for enjoyment and laughs, if I thought I could hide one where my wife wouldn't see it.
    I prefer motorcycles in the 40-75hp rang. Generally (but no always)lighter, nimbler and definitely fun on the tighter roads.

Getting older, 60 plus, I prefer something I can pick up on my own and not need a six man crew to do it.

Oh and have enough puff to travel outside the city limits no problem at all

Just saying...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000015.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	347381  

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I prefer motorcycles in the 40-75hp ranger. Generally (but no always)lighter, nimbler and definitely fun on the tighter roads.
    That makes two of us. It's nice to ride a bike where I can use all of the engine and the gears without riding like a complete hoon. There's a lot of fun to be had on a small bike going up and down though the gears on a tight and twisty bit of road. I find it a much more engaging riding experience.

If they still made VFR400s or similar, there would definitely be one in my garage.

Sent from my SHT-AL09 using Tapatalk

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    That makes two of us. It's nice to ride a bike where I can use all of the engine and the gears without riding like a complete hoon. There's a lot of fun to be had on a small bike going up and down though the gears on a tight and twisty bit of road. I find it a much more engaging riding experience.

If they still made VFR400s or similar, there would definitely be one in my garage.

Sent from my SHT-AL09 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I think I'll be keeping my MC22 forever

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Yeah I think I'll be keeping my MC22 forever
    You always remember your first. Mine was a '77Honda CJ250.

Just saying...

Bike
    he's back !!!
    HP is always a strong subject matter to discuss & in doing so the "Discussion" can go in all sorts of directions, I do have a couple of bikes in my garage & at the moment my 08' ZX14 is the flavour of the season. Although it has a ton of grunt up to 200km+ I prefer to use the power down low & having gone down 1 tooth on the rear sprocket it makes it jump out of corners & more useable power in the lower rev range. Anyone can go fast in a straight line but to me that's not what the experience is about I like to roll through corners drawing on the power available so for you stepping up once on your full license will be when the real fun begins. Distance riding is addictive also, check out NZ Distance Riders on FB
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Cheers for your advice, I think I will get one and upgrade when I get my full
    Rastus nailed it - most of the LAMS models are a LOT of bike. Bloody good value for money, too. You'll have tons of fun regardless which you choose. I chose the SV as my first bike as I had so much feedback from older, experienced riders who said they would happily ride one over a larger engine.

Let's be honest about the power, too... You can get into plenty of trouble on a LAMS bike: a larger engine is not truly required for that, ha.

Bike
    Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Rastus nailed it - most of the LAMS models are a LOT of bike. Bloody good value for money, too. You'll have tons of fun regardless which you choose. I chose the SV as my first bike as I had so much feedback from older, experienced riders who said they would happily ride one over a larger engine.

Let's be honest about the power, too... You can get into plenty of trouble on a LAMS bike: a larger engine is not truly required for that, ha.

I got bored very quickly with the 250cc I had on my learners license. Purchased a street triple 660 before siting my restricted.
    Now I have had my full license for over 3 years, and still love the 660cc bike. I am in no urgency to upgrade or go to a bigger bike.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
    I got bored very quickly with the 250cc I had on my learners license. Purchased a street triple 660 before siting my restricted.
    Now I have had my full license for over 3 years, and still love the 660cc bike. I am in no urgency to upgrade or go to a bigger bike.
    Yes, that Stripple is a gem.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Yes, that Stripple is a gem.
    If it's anything like my 675 (obviously not the outright power but the brakes, the suspension, and the handling), then I'm very jealous of the bike's that are available for learners these days. The Street Triple is a fantastic bike and would be streets ahead (no pun intended) over the KR150 that I started out on in the late 1990s.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Cheers for all of the replies guys, going to have a look at one tomorrow

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Cheers for all of the replies guys, going to have a look at one tomorrow
    How did you get on?

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    How did you get on?
    Just test road one this morning and it was great, a lot more torque and power than I thought it would have.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Just test road one this morning and it was great, a lot more torque and power than I thought it would have.
    Exactly. Anyone who talks down LAMS bikes like that MT-07 probably hasn't ridden one.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Exactly. Anyone who talks down LAMS bikes like that MT-07 probably hasn't ridden one.
    Yup it’s awesome, picking one up this week

Thread Information