Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get a mt-07 LA now or wait

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)

Get a mt-07 LA now or wait

Hey guys, I’m currently on my restricted and looking to get an mt07 next year on my full. I currently have a 1990 cbr 250rr, and am wanting an mt07 quite badly. I have about 9 months until I can sit my full, I know I’m being very impatient but I was wondering if it is a good idea to get a lams mt07 and sell it when I get my full and upgrade to a full power one. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm thinking that the LAMS MT07 is always going to be popular, so shouldn't be hard to sell.

It might be a bit of a faff changing bikes twice, but you'll love the MT07 LAMS, every time I ride one it turns me into a semi-hooligan. And when you get your full, you can go up to an MT09.

You might lose a few dollars on the trades, but that's bikes for you. And you'll get 9 months of fun from the MT.

Personally, I'd be looking at an XSR700. But I'm old.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'm thinking that the LAMS MT07 is always going to be popular, so shouldn't be hard to sell.

It might be a bit of a faff changing bikes twice, but you'll love the MT07 LAMS, every time I ride one it turns me into a semi-hooligan. And when you get your full, you can go up to an MT09.

You might lose a few dollars on the trades, but that's bikes for you. And you'll get 9 months of fun from the MT.

Personally, I'd be looking at an XSR700. But I'm old.
    Cheers, I do like the XSR series so I wouldn't mind what one I end up getting

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Cheers, I do like the XSR series so I wouldn't mind what one I end up getting
    The XSR900 comes in a nice blue, so maybe get am MT07 LAMS, then decide what you want to upgrade too when the time comes.

Buying well reduces the pain of having to sell to upgrade.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    The XSR900 comes in a nice blue, so maybe get am MT07 LAMS, then decide what you want to upgrade too when the time comes.

Buying well reduces the pain of having to sell to upgrade.
    Sweet, yeah I have a little while on my LAMs still and want something more modern and I believe that the mt07 LAMs has quite a bit of power

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Sweet, yeah I have a little while on my LAMs still and want something more modern and I believe that the mt07 LAMs has quite a bit of power
    I'm not a big fan of massive power. I had a 160hp bike at one stage, and my first thought every time I rode it was "unnecessary".

I'm more interested in useable power, and torque. Which the MT07 LAMS does both of, well.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    I'm not a big fan of massive power. I had a 160hp bike at one stage, and my first thought every time I rode it was "unnecessary".

I'm more interested in useable power, and torque. Which the MT07 LAMS does both of, well.
    Awesome, so it has good power/torque whilst being restricted (because I see some people de-restricting them)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Awesome, so it has good power/torque whilst being restricted (because I see some people de-restricting them)
    The MT07 was my LAMS bike of choice until the XSR came along.

As an instructor I always had people turning up fir courses on LAMS bikes. Every time I said "Let's have a go" nobody ever said no. The MT was always a gem. Lots of upright fun.

Mind you, I also love the LAMS V-Strom. I'm at the other end of the experience scale, and I just don't need eye-watering power any more. You can have a power of fun on bikes without needing massive power.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    The MT07 was my LAMS bike of choice until the XSR came along.

As an instructor I always had people turning up fir courses on LAMS bikes. Every time I said "Let's have a go" nobody ever said no. The MT was always a gem. Lots of upright fun.

Mind you, I also love the LAMS V-Strom. I'm at the other end of the experience scale, and I just don't need eye-watering power any more. You can have a power of fun on bikes without needing massive power.
    Yeah I'm just not sure if I should spend 7-8k for it or wait 9 months for the full power version

Bike
    A
    Yeah I'm just not sure if I should spend 7-8k for it or wait 9 months for the full power version
    It's a fairly simple proposition, as Rastus has already said. If you can't wait for your full and you can handle dropping a bit of value from the LAMs MT-07 then go for it.

There's been a few folks who've kept a LAMs MT-07 for a spell after passing their 6F. You don't need more grunt. Truth be told the suspension is the weakest link on this style/budget bike

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I found there was little difference in the prices of used XSR700's and 900's-The 9 is twice the bike of the 7 once the rear suspension has been sorted-I love my 9,I rarely use the power it has available (as I am older than Rastucat)but in a situation where you need it,that is a different story.I also think the XR looks way better than the MT-I would stick with the CB but thats just me.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Get a second-hand 07 now, enjoy it for the next 9 months, then sell it to upgrade to whatever your heart desires when you have your full.

I went sv650 to mt09. I loved the sv to pieces but the mt is streets better (and, a better size for me so easier to handle). I was considering a full power sv650 but in the end they aren't "that" different from the LAMS version so wouldn't have alleviated my desire to get a different experience/ride (nearly 25,000kms with SVs meant I was a little bored...).

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Get a second-hand 07 now, enjoy it for the next 9 months, then sell it to upgrade to whatever your heart desires when you have your full.

I went sv650 to mt09. I loved the sv to pieces but the mt is streets better (and, a better size for me so easier to handle). I was considering a full power sv650 but in the end they aren't "that" different from the LAMS version so wouldn't have alleviated my desire to get a different experience/ride (nearly 25,000kms with SVs meant I was a little bored...).
    I've often found that people who bag LAMS bikes due to their limited power often haven't actually ridden one.

The LAMS V-Strom, MT07, Street 660, XSR, are all very capable bikes. The DR650 equally so. I draw the line at the street 500, it's built for people with short legs, not me.

The GPz550 is another. In fact, the list is long of LAMS bikes that I'd have as my full time ride, if I wanted a mid range ride.

Folk who look down their noses at LAMS bikes are missing a treat. I'd have a Yamaha RD400 for enjoyment and laughs, if I thought I could hide one where my wife wouldn't see it.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post

Cheers for your advice, I think I will get one and upgrade when I get my full

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    I've often found that people who bag LAMS bikes due to their limited power often haven't actually ridden one.

The LAMS V-Strom, MT07, Street 660, XSR, are all very capable bikes. The DR650 equally so. I draw the line at the street 500, it's built for people with short legs, not me.

The GPz550 is another. In fact, the list is long of LAMS bikes that I'd have as my full time ride, if I wanted a mid range ride.

Folk who look down their noses at LAMS bikes are missing a treat. I'd have a Yamaha RD400 for enjoyment and laughs, if I thought I could hide one where my wife wouldn't see it.
    Yeah I think it's the name LAMS that makes me think twice which is pretty stupid because usually when I hear LAMS they are low powered bikes, but from what everyone is saying it is a very capable bike.

Thread Information