Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 months of owning a KTM Duke 790

Bike
    Sold

18 months of owning a KTM Duke 790

I've had my KTM Duke 790 for 18 months now. KTM's and other European bikes in particular have a somewhat variable reputation with respect to reliability and servicing costs, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. What we end up buying is a highly personal thing depending on what we look for in a bike. On a wet day, I sat down and detailed my thoughts about owning one. Hope it's not too boring: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020...ss-report.html .

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    R1200GSA
    what are you doing? we can't have things posted about motorcycles on this forum!!!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    what are you doing? we can't have things posted about motorcycles on this forum!!!

Sorry Paul, what was I thinking? I'll try harder to be obnoxious and irrelevant in future

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Haha, I feature in the first sentence It wasn't really affirming KTMs are awesome, more that I simple see 3 levels of reliability. Japs, main Euros, "special" Euros

Owning both a BMW and a KTM concurrently (along with a Honda) my eyes are open, but I really enjoy the Euros that much, that I guess I'll suffer some potential issues - like hanging out in Huntly for an hour, playing with my life, because the Aprilia wanted more parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Haha, I feature in the first sentence It wasn't really affirming KTMs are awesome, more that I simple see 3 levels of reliability. Japs, main Euros, "special" Euros

Owning both a BMW and a KTM concurrently (along with a Honda) my eyes are open, but I really enjoy the Euros that much, that I guess I'll suffer some potential issues - like hanging out in Huntly for an hour, playing with my life, because the Aprilia wanted more parts.
    I laughed my head off when you said that Alan! My best friend in the UK had a Guzzi 1100 Sport. He claimed he was on first name terms with the AA recovery service in 5 counties .

I know exactly what you mean about Eurobikes though

Bike
    A
    Nice write up Geoff, despite you mentioning your enjoyment of the 790 there's no hint of rose tinted glasses in there

Only surprising part was you've had it for 18 months already

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Nice write up Geoff, despite you mentioning your enjoyment of the 790 there's no hint of rose tinted glasses in there

Only surprising part was you've had it for 18 months already
    Thanks , Rob - I try to be impartial

Yep, time flies when you're having fun. When I bought it, I remember you saying that you thought it suited me. I'm still not sure how to take that

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Thanks , Rob - I try to be impartial

Yep, time flies when you're having fun. When I bought it, I remember you saying that you thought it suited me. I'm still not sure how to take that
    No need to be coy...for the same reason I still have a Busa

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I've had my KTM Duke 790 for 18 months now. KTM's and other European bikes in particular have a somewhat variable reputation with respect to reliability and servicing costs, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. What we end up buying is a highly personal thing depending on what we look for in a bike. On a wet day, I sat down and detailed my thoughts about owning one. Hope it's not too boring: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020...ss-report.html .

Cheers,

Geoff
    Thanks for that Geoff - I enjoyed reading it and many of the things you've said strike a chord with me. I do after all have eclectic tastes in bikes...

The Euro brand question is a good one and is something I ruminate on regularly. Having a dealer you have a good relationship with really helps as you say and the price you pay for exclusivity and that certain 'something' is usually worth it IMHO.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Thanks for that Geoff - I enjoyed reading it and many of the things you've said strike a chord with me. I do after all have eclectic tastes in bikes...

The Euro brand question is a good one and is something I ruminate on regularly. Having a dealer you have a good relationship with really helps as you say and the price you pay for exclusivity and that certain 'something' is usually worth it IMHO.
    Thanks Lee - you of all people would know what was meant . Some of it is deserved, some not. My Blackbird fried its stator (a known fault up to the 2002 model). The Street Triple had its reg/rec replaced under a world-wide recall, the GSX-S 1000 had the ECM replaced to improve bottom end fuelling so issues aren't solely the province of mainland Eurobikes. I must say that the "certain something" of the KTM has made it the right choice for me though. Absolutely no regrets.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    To me, what you ride has far more to do with the "value" aspect rather than the "cost" aspect - if you're all "know the cost of everything but the value of nothing" then owning a bike must be the greatest disappointment you can imagine. Bikes are not cost efficient. However, they offer value beyond belief.

If you get on your bike and worry about the cost of the tyres you need to buy soon, or worry about the licence and ACC fee you need to pay, or worry about some other aspect's cost I believe you're missing the point.

But if you get on your bike and look at the tyres and think they'll need replacing soon cause you've ridden the bike as often as you can and the little hoon in the head is saying "So what, you've had fun!" then there's a value in the bike. And it doesn't need to be the hoon either, the black dog can be a better behaved companion when you get out on a bike...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    To me, what you ride has far more to do with the "value" aspect rather than the "cost" aspect - if you're all "know the cost of everything but the value of nothing" then owning a bike must be the greatest disappointment you can imagine. Bikes are not cost efficient. However, they offer value beyond belief.

If you get on your bike and worry about the cost of the tyres you need to buy soon, or worry about the licence and ACC fee you need to pay, or worry about some other aspect's cost I believe you're missing the point.

But if you get on your bike and look at the tyres and think they'll need replacing soon cause you've ridden the bike as often as you can and the little hoon in the head is saying "So what, you've had fun!" then there's a value in the bike. And it doesn't need to be the hoon either, the black dog can be a better behaved companion when you get out on a bike...
    Exactly. I couldn't agree more. It's not what you ride but the fact you do ride is what really matters.

Just saying...

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

That's deep man, deep...

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks Lee - you of all people would know what was meant . Some of it is deserved, some not. My Blackbird fried its stator (a known fault up to the 2002 model). The Street Triple had its reg/rec replaced under a world-wide recall, the GSX-S 1000 had the ECM replaced to improve bottom end fuelling so issues aren't solely the province of mainland Eurobikes. I must say that the "certain something" of the KTM has made it the right choice for me though. Absolutely no regrets.

I'll be in touch ref coming up your way later this year Geoff. Then we can compare Euro brand bike stories over a cold one.

Bike
    Sold
    ......And it doesn't need to be the hoon either, the black dog can be a better behaved companion when you get out on a bike...
    Yep, that last sentence is incredibly important and often overlooked. Well said!

Thread Information