Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18 months of owning a KTM Duke 790

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    But if you get on your bike and look at the tyres and think they'll need replacing soon cause you've ridden the bike as often as you can and the little hoon in the head is saying "So what, you've had fun!" then there's a value in the bike. And it doesn't need to be the hoon either, the black dog can be a better behaved companion when you get out on a bike...
    It's relative though. Normally I don't give it a much of a thought, but the first TKC80 on the 1090R was replaced after 2100km... because it was urgent and mid trip (for the next few days I had almost no tyre options) I also had only one option... another TKC80...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Time goes so fast. It seems like just the other day that you were posting on here having just bought the bike.

I'm glad that you're having a blast with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    Time goes so fast. It seems like just the other day that you were posting on here having just bought the bike.

I'm glad that you're having a blast with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Can hardly believe it either. Perhaps that's a sign with respect to how much fun it is!

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    It's relative though. Normally I don't give it a much of a thought, but the first TKC80 on the 1090R was replaced after 2100km... because it was urgent and mid trip (for the next few days I had almost no tyre options) I also had only one option... another TKC80...
    And how enjoyable were those 2100Km?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    And how enjoyable were those 2100Km?
    Well the first 1k was running it in, so I was actually quite good. Didn't change out of street, no excessive revs, no gravel, barely got her dirty save for some bugs.

Kinda scares me for the next TKC80... It's actually odd wanting to explore the higher revs now, as she really comes alive, exhaust note changes, then you think... uh, the rear needs to last at least a little bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    An enjoyable read thank you Geoff.

I especially understand the crossed fingers from friends when talking about buying a KTM. Got the same reaction myself back in 2015. Even after purchase, any warranty issue would be met with a bunch of "I told you so's". However, after fitting 29 tyres, 3 chain sprocket sets, 380+ fuel fills and 115,000km, I kinda think they're keeping quiet now.

My rotors were replaced under warranty, though it's believed the issue actually lies with poor front wheel casting. Perhaps the 790 shares this?

Overall I've loved this bike and I don't plan on parting with it anytime soon. If I did, I think I'd be looking at another KTM 1290.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

I especially understand the crossed fingers from friends when talking about buying a KTM. Got the same reaction myself back in 2015. Even after purchase, any warranty issue would be met with a bunch of "I told you so's". However, after fitting 29 tyres, 3 chain sprocket sets, 380+ fuel fills and 115,000km, I kinda think they're keeping quiet now.

My rotors were replaced under warranty, though it's believed the issue actually lies with poor front wheel casting. Perhaps the 790 shares this?

Overall I've loved this bike and I don't plan on parting with it anytime soon. If I did, I think I'd be looking at another KTM 1290.
    Thanks Owl! The fun I've had from this bike massively outweighs any of its quirks and delighted to hear you feel the same. One of the 790 forum members had the wheel problem that you described. I'll do an update when I hear back from Boyds as they were liaising with the KTM importer.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

its interesting, when I got my first GS there were those telling me it would be hienous to run and have lots of problems, nope!
    On the KTM side, not sure if any of you follow Brett Tkacs, he bought a 790 Adventure. His video test riding it is titled "best adventure bike out there" or some such.
    From new he has a list of warranty issues including 2 significant rear brake issues (caliper came away from its mount and rear brake on fire/overheating)
    He loves the bike, meanwhile lots of comment along the "told you so" lines.
    they are machines, machines break don't they?
    I like Geoff's measure for telling if you have the right bike or not, do you have a second look or give it a pat when you walk past? If yes, its all good. Wisdom indeed!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    its interesting, when I got my first GS there were those telling me it would be hienous to run and have lots of problems, nope!
    On the KTM side, not sure if any of you follow Brett Tkacs, he bought a 790 Adventure. His video test riding it is titled "best adventure bike out there" or some such.
    From new he has a list of warranty issues including 2 significant rear brake issues (caliper came away from its mount and rear brake on fire/overheating)
    He loves the bike, meanwhile lots of comment along the "told you so" lines.
    they are machines, machines break don't they?
    I like Geoff's measure for telling if you have the right bike or not, do you have a second look or give it a pat when you walk past? If yes, its all good. Wisdom indeed!
    Hi Paul,

I know Brett's name but must follow up with a looksee now - thank you!

One of our Rotorua IAM members has a 790 Adventure and loves it and a friend of mine down your way has just bought one. I'd probably go for the 390 for use on the gravel up our way (although the urge to get a Desert Sled is also there ). I've just had an email from Boyd's saying that KTM will be supplying new disc rotors under warranty. Looking forward to that.

Yep, staring at your bike or fondling it is a dead giveaway

Thread Information