Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What might my 1981 modified Katana GSX1100SZ be worth and will I hate myself to sell

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    On paper as a GSX1100SZ (not a 750)
    Frame super strengthened by engineer for himself to race
    Has a GSX1100EFE engine (1984) grandad of the hyabusa
    124HP standard often used for drag bikes, common to turbo
    I have a complete spare engine which is a runner but a little tired
    I've a set of bored out barrels and a complete piston kit (I think to around 1200cc will check)
    Runs a tidy 4 into 1 with a nice Yoshi pipe I got cut down to suit
    1992 GSXR1100 forks (these are ideal for USD conversion being long)
    Internal back shock with after market swing arm (no Kat has an internal back shock other than the Icon Katana that I've ever seen)
    Hardly run USA Mikuni 30mm flatslides (still have the original smooth bore carbs that cam with it also which ran ok)
    GSXR1100 wheels
    Some uprated coils I forget but can add details
    GSXR1100 gauges
    Tank moded to GSXR1100 petrol cap centered, flush, same key as ignition

The paint job is crap but sanded smooth. It is probably better at this stage to get it tidy if I am going to sell it.

I love this bike but its a liability and I'm starting to think it makes more sense to be turned into an asset (by selling it and buying an asset).

Costs are not generally that relevant to sale price (bag of chips, no kettle fries). But here is the eye watering (in my new life) list.

$7000 purchase of bike was already done minus below
    $1200 for carbies (from memory I can look them up)
    $1400 for spare engine
    $500 for barrels and piston set (deal just the set is $1000+)
    $200 coils (actually I cannot remember)
    $250 exhaust
    $300 Yoshi engine cover (so cool had to have it)

The seat is horrible but I've a proper base waiting pickup (cheers if you are reading)

Probably spent Nasa's budget on various work on the bike such as fitting the carbs (all work done by professionals)

Right now it need leads and I think smaller idle jets which I'd sort to have it running well. It runs fine and does not seem to smoke.

If I get it all running and tidy I was planning to keep it forever as my dream bike but.... I've been riding Blades for years and it will probably kill me. Also high commuting has nailed my limbs already and Kats are not comfy bikes so I doubt I'd enjoy riding it for any distance. It has been around Manfield and I bloody loved that (its a lot of bike to ride and it goes well in a straight line).

Really to complete it needs front disks a good paint job (including wheels which are spanky orange) the seat changed over (will require some welding, machining) and tuning. You could build up the other engine with the piston kit and paint it then put that in.

I spent YEARS coveting a moded Kat never saw one for sale (fluked this one calling a guy about a different bike and chatting it was in his collection).

What would it be worth done and now? As it stands it need some decent $$ to complete which I could do. However I could sell it and ideally see someone else complete it and use that $$.

When I get out and ride now I'm still a nutter so I'm thinking sell the crazy bikes make some investments and buy something to love and ride around like an NC35 (ok NC30) or a Royal Enfield Continental GT. Something I can just love for the riding (verses speeding... Fireblade, snotty Kat not bikes I want to ride slow). And maybe some Tesla shares because I love Elon and it would be just freakn cool (for me) to own some Tesla (if I am going to be sensible then I am going to nerd out on something I still think is cool it is after all my Kat).

Geez who is going to read this BS but anyway thoughts?
    Sell it. If you're asking the question you have made up your mind/realised and you're just looking for a way to justify it to yourself. I love the look of these but having ridden a couple I will never buy one - too uncomfortable for an old fella*. By the way NC30's aren't particularly comfortable. And finding a tidy one will be the trick. Unless you are happy to finish it and turn it into a lounge ornament, sell it. * same as that racer-y BMW RNine T I lusted after till I sat on it.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Bikes can mean important thing to you. A statement of what you think or how they make you feel.

. . . At a certain time of your life.

But like that signed copy of a Eurythmics record- Do you really care about it now? Or are you just holding onto it because you know that you used to care?

Go test ride something entirely different. Get that joy back again.

If someone offered me back my old SZ Kat I wouldn't look up from my lunch. When I was 19 it was a spaceship.

Disclaimer: Spouces shouldn't fall into the same criteria.
    Disclaimer 2: I've never owned a Eurythmics record.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

If someone offered me back my old SZ Kat I wouldn't look up from my lunch. When I was 19 it was a spaceship.
    Great to see that things have improved and Kiwibiker has improved your life then, even in a little way

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...-lunch-at-home

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Disclaimer 2: I've never owned a Eurythmics record.
    Aww I was gonna ask if it was signed by Annie and Dave, what album and pressing - disappoint.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Great to see that things have improved and Kiwibiker has improved your life then, even in a little way

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...-lunch-at-home
    Well it has enriched my soul, but as if to prove a point I was tucking into a bought lunch when I was typing that rather than in lockdown work at home lunch dysphoria.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information