Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What might my 1981 modified Katana GSX1100SZ be worth and will I hate myself to sell

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R

What might my 1981 modified Katana GSX1100SZ be worth and will I hate myself to sell

On paper as a GSX1100SZ (not a 750)
    Frame super strengthened by engineer for himself to race
    Has a GSX1100EFE engine (1984) grandad of the hyabusa
    124HP standard often used for drag bikes, common to turbo
    I have a complete spare engine which is a runner but a little tired
    I've a set of bored out barrels and a complete piston kit (I think to around 1200cc will check)
    Runs a tidy 4 into 1 with a nice Yoshi pipe I got cut down to suit
    1992 GSXR1100 forks (these are ideal for USD conversion being long)
    Internal back shock with after market swing arm (no Kat has an internal back shock other than the Icon Katana that I've ever seen)
    Hardly run USA Mikuni 30mm flatslides (still have the original smooth bore carbs that cam with it also which ran ok)
    GSXR1100 wheels
    Some uprated coils I forget but can add details
    GSXR1100 gauges
    Tank moded to GSXR1100 petrol cap centered, flush, same key as ignition

The paint job is crap but sanded smooth. It is probably better at this stage to get it tidy if I am going to sell it.

I love this bike but its a liability and I'm starting to think it makes more sense to be turned into an asset (by selling it and buying an asset).

Costs are not generally that relevant to sale price (bag of chips, no kettle fries). But here is the eye watering (in my new life) list.

$7000 purchase of bike was already done minus below
    $1200 for carbies (from memory I can look them up)
    $1400 for spare engine
    $500 for barrels and piston set (deal just the set is $1000+)
    $200 coils (actually I cannot remember)
    $250 exhaust
    $300 Yoshi engine cover (so cool had to have it)

The seat is horrible but I've a proper base waiting pickup (cheers if you are reading)

Probably spent Nasa's budget on various work on the bike such as fitting the carbs (all work done by professionals)

Right now it need leads and I think smaller idle jets which I'd sort to have it running well. It runs fine and does not seem to smoke.

If I get it all running and tidy I was planning to keep it forever as my dream bike but.... I've been riding Blades for years and it will probably kill me. Also high commuting has nailed my limbs already and Kats are not comfy bikes so I doubt I'd enjoy riding it for any distance. It has been around Manfield and I bloody loved that (its a lot of bike to ride and it goes well in a straight line).

Really to complete it needs front disks a good paint job (including wheels which are spanky orange) the seat changed over (will require some welding, machining) and tuning. You could build up the other engine with the piston kit and paint it then put that in.

I spent YEARS coveting a moded Kat never saw one for sale (fluked this one calling a guy about a different bike and chatting it was in his collection).

What would it be worth done and now? As it stands it need some decent $$ to complete which I could do. However I could sell it and ideally see someone else complete it and use that $$.

When I get out and ride now I'm still a nutter so I'm thinking sell the crazy bikes make some investments and buy something to love and ride around like an NC35 (ok NC30) or a Royal Enfield Continental GT. Something I can just love for the riding (verses speeding... Fireblade, snotty Kat not bikes I want to ride slow). And maybe some Tesla shares because I love Elon and it would be just freakn cool (for me) to own some Tesla (if I am going to be sensible then I am going to nerd out on something I still think is cool it is after all my Kat).

Geez who is going to read this BS but anyway thoughts?

Bike
    Couple photos here from a very old thread of the bike in question

It has a much nicer Yoshi pipe now and some Yoshi engine bling, Mikuni's but the same bike same paint job though the tank peeled a little from primer around the full filler (never top coated I was going a more gun metal version of the original Kat grey likely after discussion in the thread below. I see the piston set is a 1260cc Wecco

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...a-1100sz/page9

Also contains correction to my botched list above 36mm Mikuni's etc.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I've got no idea what it is worth.

But that is one sweet looking bike.

I suspect you will kick yourself forever if you sell.

Can you not put the rego on hold and push it to the back of the garage until such time as she can be resurrected?
    =mjc=

Bike
    Probably right. I'm over not having the skill to sort it out and not being able to pay to get it going well (within reason spent a lot still not running right). If someone with the goods buys it I'd be happy with some pics of it looking amazing and running nicely.

Trademe perhaps, reserve and let the market decide. Still I might give it one more winter to see if I get the time. Its a ball ache to figure out even the parts when your no expert. Just trying to work out the front disks to by for example... Plus that seat is so out of place (so it is hard to just love looking at it). Honestly I think I'm done but have other bike things to sort out first before I decide.

Impossible to price something that never comes up for sale. Not sure there is another me out there that would pay what I think it is worth when I was in a position to pay a chunk of what it cost to get it where it is.

Appreciate the comment and only time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I've got no idea what it is worth.

But that is one sweet looking bike.

I suspect you will kick yourself forever if you sell.

Can you not put the rego on hold and push it to the back of the garage until such time as she can be resurrected?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    The seat is horrible but I've a proper base waiting pickup (cheers if you are reading)
    I hate to say it but, looking at the photos of the bike, the original seat is never going to fit back on there without extensive modification of the frame back to original.

Bike
    suzuki
    Glen Spink from kai iwi did one of the best Kat customs, he may be keen on another project? his was a pop top, the only decent looking Kat.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    his was a pop top, the only decent looking Kat.
    You need to go to spec savers because your eyesight must be shit
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Glen Spink from kai iwi did one of the best Kat customs, he may be keen on another project? his was a pop top, the only decent looking Kat.
    Yer 'avin a giraffe.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Yer 'avin a giraffe.
    nah, we'd finally moved into a time when body panels flowed and smooth lines were in and they couldn't even put a curve in the front guard, and everything looked like a school project.
    Then they throw one colour at it, don't even paint the bike from one end to other in that though, no striping etc and add to the bland look.
    They always look unfinshed to me simply

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I can't imagine riding a Kat today. Bit like the gsxr1100 of the 90's, too much reach to the bars and the pegs were up under your arse!

Unless you have dreams of the past ,then they're ok I guess ?
    (but I think the Kat should be finished to get any reasonable $$$$$ for it ?).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I can't imagine riding a Kat today. Bit like the gsxr1100 of the 90's, too much reach to the bars and the pegs were up under your arse!

Unless you have dreams of the past ,then they're ok I guess ?
    (but I think the Kat should be finished to get any reasonable $$$$$ for it ?).
    Very true. Resto mods by their nature usually appeal only to those whose taste is similar to the builders. IMO this bike would be worth more if it was still original. And appeal to a wider range of potential buyers too.

The other potential market is as the basis for a pre 82 racer. But too much of it is now ineligible.

I'd doubt if it would make a nice daily ride. Lack of comfort and it's state of tune would see to that.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Very true. Resto mods by their nature usually appeal only to those whose taste is similar to the builders. IMO this bike would be worth more if it was still original. And appeal to a wider range of potential buyers too.

The other potential market is as the basis for a pre 82 racer. But too much of it is now ineligible.

I'd doubt if it would make a nice daily ride. Lack of comfort and it's state of tune would see to that.
    not far off the forty year rego rule, dirt cheap rego adds value, they might get it finished by 2022 when it's forty years old

Bike
    Such a long time since this comment and now I find myself living in Kai Iwi...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Such a long time since this comment and now I find myself living in Kai Iwi...
    pretty sure you were there when i posted that, and that was why i posted it

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So did you sell it and buy something fun? Don't let your life get away. Enjoy it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information