Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Bonkers rules

  1. #1
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,295

    Bonkers rules

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200827_101006.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	840.7 KB 
ID:	347471

    The silver Gilera is licenced as a motorcycle. It costs more to licence.
    The rider has to have a motorcycle licence.
    It's allowed to park in a motorcycle space.
    It doesn't have to have a front number plate.

    The blue Tri City is licenced as a car. It's cheap to licence.
    You can ride it with a car licence.
    It's not supposed to be in a motorcycle space, as it's a car.
    Because it's a car, it has to have a front number plate.

    It'd be funny if it weren't true.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 12:32
    Bike
    Black as
    Location
    Te Mosgiel
    Posts
    2,870
    All three wheelers are for handicapped people so they can park anywhere they like.

    I blame ACC myself.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,359
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200827_101006.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	840.7 KB 
ID:	347471

    The silver Gilera is licenced as a motorcycle. It costs more to licence.
    The rider has to have a motorcycle licence.
    It's allowed to park in a motorcycle space.
    It doesn't have to have a front number plate.

    The blue Tri City is licenced as a car. It's cheap to licence.
    You can ride it with a car licence.
    It's not supposed to be in a motorcycle space, as it's a car.
    Because it's a car, it has to have a front number plate.

    It'd be funny if it weren't true.
    made by the same people who put a 100kmh limit for all vehicles other than trucks on most of our roads probably.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    All three wheelers are for handicapped people so they can park anywhere they like.

    I blame ACC myself.
    Really? Like, we had some influence on that?

    Still it's always good to have someone else to blame.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    12th January 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Location
    Prebbleton
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200827_101006.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	840.7 KB 
ID:	347471
    The blue Tri City is licenced as a car. It's cheap to licence.
    You can ride it with a car licence.
    It's not supposed to be in a motorcycle space, as it's a car.
    Because it's a car, it has to have a front number plate.
    It's a car, but it doesn't need a seat belt...

    It's a car - are you required (as opposed to choosing) to wear a helmet?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    made by the same people who put a 100kmh limit for all vehicles other than trucks on most of our roads probably.
    All heavy (OVER a set weight) vehicles ... and any vehicles with trailers ... actually.

    Note the distinction ... and try to think WHY that distinction exists ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The blue Tri City is licenced as a car. It's cheap to licence.
    You can ride it with a car licence.
    It's not supposed to be in a motorcycle space, as it's a car.
    Because it's a car, it has to have a front number plate.

    It'd be funny if it weren't true.
    If you were still a cop ... you could issue a ticket to it.


    Funny ... because it's true ...

    maybe ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    4th May 2017 - 10:23
    Bike
    Old Bikes
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    113
    So whatís the fundamental difference between the two three wheelers?

    I understand thatís the point of the thread but I donít know why oneís a bike and one isnít.

    Power? Dimensions? Import rules?

    Who gets to choose and how much are they being paid...
    Ginge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,295
    It gets better.

    On the Gilera, you have to wear a helmet.

    On the Tri City, you don't. True,

    If you privately import a Tri City it gets registered as a bike. If it gets registered new by the licenced importer it gets registered as a car.

    In other news, the people who wrote this set of rules were removed by a van full of men in white coats.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,295
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If you were still a cop ... you could issue a ticket to it.


    Funny ... because it's true ...

    maybe ...
    I would have some fun with this rule to be sure.

    I miss the blue suit sometimes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    31st March 2005 - 02:18
    Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Location
    East Aucks
    Posts
    10,259
    Blog Entries
    140
    Same people that made the rules for pedal assisted power cycles and power assisted pedal cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    4th May 2017 - 10:23
    Bike
    Old Bikes
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    113
    So the distinction is just import status for the three wheelers? It comes down to the certifiers rules vs the OEM rules?

    If itís first registered in NZ itís one thing, if itís imported itís another?

    Either way I think theyíre a branch on the motorcycle family tree that will wither and die.
    Ginge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Papakowhai
    Posts
    4,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginge09 View Post
    So the distinction is just import status for the three wheelers? It comes down to the certifiers rules vs the OEM rules?

    If itís first registered in NZ itís one thing, if itís imported itís another?

    Either way I think theyíre a branch on the motorcycle family tree that will wither and die.
    Pretty much. I reckon the rules will change one day, when common sense prevails.

    Oh, hold on, no chance of that.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I would have some fun with this rule to be sure.

    I miss the blue suit sometimes.
    I hope the one's that did miss you ... did so intentionally.

    It could have been painful.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    10th December 2009 - 22:42
    Bike
    less than I used to have
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    3,098
    ...as I've always said, better to stay at home and grow vegetables than to go out the gate and have to deal with vegetables...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •