Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on electronics repair - how badly have I bricked my DAC?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

Advice on electronics repair - how badly have I bricked my DAC?

So I have a nice NAD combination DAC and headphone amplifier which I've enjoyed listening to for some years now, that was until I was reorganising things in my flat during the last lockdown in Auckland and accidentally plugged the wrong AC adapter into it.

So instead of getting the required 5V DC input, it ended up getting (I think) 22V for a couple of seconds before I saw the wisps of smoke coming out of it and unplugged it as quickly as I could. Suffice to say the burnt electronics smell lasted for a few days.

Now with the correct adapter plugged in the standby power light comes on but not surprisingly it won't switch on.

I got in touch with the place I bought it at the time and they quoted $90 just for a diagnosis with any repair costs on top of that. It is admittedly now a bit out of date but I like it and if I could get it working again I would feel a whole lot less stupid.

Unfortunately I have no income at the moment so $90 is a sizeable amount to write off if a repair isn't feasible, so just wondering if anyone out there could advise me how badly pouring 22V into a 5V power supply even for a few seconds is likely to damage what I guess are some fairly delicate circuits inside.

My expectation is that the smoke and the burning smell probably indicates a fatal blow, just looking for an unbiased confirmation of that really. Thanks in advance.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    so just wondering if anyone out there could advise me how badly pouring 22V into a 5V power supply even for a few seconds is likely to damage what I guess are some fairly delicate circuits inside.
    Connect your flat to a 1000 volt system and compare the result. Four times the voltage it was designed for.

My expectation is that the smoke and the burning smell probably indicates a fatal blow, just looking for an unbiased confirmation of that really. Thanks in advance.
    Although I'm no electrician ... I would surmise your expectation is correct.

My recommendation is not waste money getting that confirmed. Spend that money on a new one.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I'd say it was fucked, wouldn' you?

I think I'd skip the $90 bit too. Last time I had that thrown at me (a different product), I compared the price of a new one and it was only $29 more than "examination" of the old one.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Its the smoke thats the dead give away with electrical goods.

I worked with 2 electricians recently, they both said the smoke injection machine was the most underrated piece of equipment they owned

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Failing one of those smoke injecting machines, a delay like they have on the radio would be very useful in real life, just a few extra seconds to catch the stupid before it’s too late.

Thanks I’ll save myself the $90 then and turn it into an ashtray or something equally useful these days.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Can you get the cover off and the circuit board out? You may have fried everything or it may be a single component that can be replaced.
    Put up a photo of the damage
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Definitely worth a look inside. You may have just taken out a voltage regulator for example.

What is it worth?

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I’ll definitely give opening it up a go as soon as I get back to it.

Was a bit of an extravagance for me at the time but at the low end of the audio price spectrum, I think i got it on special for $599.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I’ll definitely give opening it up a go as soon as I get back to it.

Was a bit of an extravagance for me at the time but at the low end of the audio price spectrum, I think i got it on special for $599.
    Definitely worth making an effort then. I rescued a phono preamp about 10 years ago by replacing the power supply caps. It's still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    You just need to gather up all the Magic Smoke, and carefully put it back into the relevant components.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    You just need to gather up all the Magic Smoke, and carefully put it back into the relevant components.
    I think the Genie has left the building ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    So, who knew electronics could be so complicated...I'm starting to appreciate why they charge $90 just to look at this kind of thing.

So I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I can't see any obvious evidence of damage, or where the magic smoke goes. Here are some images from around the power connector anyways for your amusement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NAD D1050 pic1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	347521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NAD D1050 pic2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	347520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NAD D1050 pic3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	347519

At this point I'm thinking of making it into some kind of collage.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    It was on the good
    What happens if you pull that bit of chewing gum off it?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Don't think it'll show much? The circular wrapped wire thingy under it looks unscathed.

Name:	NAD D1050 pic4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	347523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NAD D1050 pic5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	347522
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The block diagram shows a protect cct on the 5V front end, if you're lucky it's designed to guard against what you did....

Name:	blk.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	347547

Circuit diagram looks like a reverse polarity protection diode, then some filtering and a couple of series pass transistors, if you don't have 5V I or 5V D where it's shown, it's on the input side.

Name:	input cct.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	347546

If 5V D is present across C734 then it's further downstream and a bit uglier, as there are a bunch of psu circuits that need to be checked, if one of them is missing it won't go...

Name:	psu.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	347548

That's about all I can do from where I'm sitting, other than point you at the Service Manual that google found for me...
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Thread Information