Thread: Ducati Hypermotard 950 SP

Bike
    2017 XSR900

Ducati Hypermotard 950 SP

Hi all

I'm up for a new bike, one which I intend to keep for a while.

Currently have an XSR900 but am a twin man at heart, the last one being a Firestorm.

I'm tossing up between 2 very different bikes, for different reasons, the hypermotard being one of them. Never had a Ducati before but I'm not so sure about the reliability and longevity of what this hypermotard might be. Anybody had any of the previous ones? or in deed the current 950? Would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    Long time Honda owner, finally coerced into buying Italian by a Ducati owning friend of mine.
    Painfully aware of his inability to go for a ride due to "bike not running quite right" (despite having 8 of the things), I wanted a cheap to own / reliable Ducati. Sounds like Unicorn hunting to me.

Anyway, I settled on the 1100DS engine.
    Last of the simple, air cooled, 2 valve engines. More reliable, less complicated, cheaper to service.
    Once I'd selected an engine, I went looking for a Ducati with that engine. There were a few to choose from.
    I picked a 2008 Hypermotard, with said 1100DS engine.

I love it, completely bonkers to ride.

Took it to Moto Magnet for a service. Previous owner had DIY'd his service. Lots of problems (including still had the original 2008 fuel filter).
    Total service bill was about $1500, which is good for about 3 years until the next one.

If you're near Hamilton (and have appropriate license / insurance), then you're welcome to test ride mine.

Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Thanks for the info.

I'm Auckland based.

While my heart says the Ducati 950SP my head is telling me optioned BMW R Nine T. I haven't yet ridden either. I know they are very different and to be honest both satisfy the type and amount of riding I'm doing these days ie some commute from rural twisties to town and then some weekend rides through the twisties of no more than 2 hours duration plus the occassional 2 up with the wife to go get coffee somewhere on the edge of town. I'm tall so the seat height wont be a problem on the Ducati.

My main concern was reliability and my head puts the ducati in the fragile throughbred department but I'm positive I'd love it. Still the idea of a boxer and shaft drive I can keep for many years also appeals plus the Beemer has a 3 year factory warranty.

I guess it will all come down to the demo (hopefully). I guess if I could sway the financial controller I could get the ducati and then in about 3 years move to the beemer

I guess another important consideration will be which dealership fronts up with a better trade in deal on my XSR as well.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Very different choices? Although it is hard to know which variant of R9T you are thinking of...
    but the Duc is lighter, has a higher seat height and has way better suspension travel with a smidge more power. I would say that both will put a smile on your face!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Very different choices? Although it is hard to know which variant of R9T you are thinking of...
    but the Duc is lighter, has a higher seat height and has way better suspension travel with a smidge more power. I would say that both will put a smile on your face!
    looking at a fully optioned one, ie paint job, rider aids etc (not pure, scrambler or racer).

both bikes are basically the same price and very similar power output but the beemer has a 3 year factory warranty against 2 for the ducati I believe. They both have pros and cons. In my head I'd say I want the beemer for the long term but its just whether I can justify getting the ducati for a couple of years before swapping to the beemer.

Anyway I haven't ridden either yet so that could seal the deal. I'll probably arrange demos in the next couple of weeks.

Bike
    2017 XSR900
    So...long story short.

Bought a Hypermotard.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX R 750 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOman View Post
    So...long story short.

Bought a Hypermotard.
    What are your impressions?

Bike
    2009 Kawasaki Versys 650
    It's been a couple of months, care to share your previous experience or expedition with this car?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Calix Lee View Post
    It's been a couple of months, care to share your previous experience or expedition with this car?
    Umm don't you mean motorbicicle?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX R 750 2011
    Yes, I would like to hear feedback on Hypermotard!

Thread Information