Thread: HOG repair at the top of the South Island

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

HOG repair at the top of the South Island

Hi All

My wife's Sportster 883 has developed what appears to be an electrical fault. The fuel pump isn't priming when the ignition is flashed up. I've done the usual such as checking the fob battery, fuses and relays on the bike as well as checking the fuel pump connector itself however it still refuses to prime the pump or fire up.

Is there an independent mechanic that I could go to try and shed some light on this? I'm loath to go to the H-D dealer and pay an exorbitant price when a good independent would be a better bet?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Hi All

My wife's Sportster 883 has developed what appears to be an electrical fault. The fuel pump isn't priming when the ignition is flashed up. I've done the usual such as checking the fob battery, fuses and relays on the bike as well as checking the fuel pump connector itself however it still refuses to prime the pump or fire up.

Is there an independent mechanic that I could go to try and shed some light on this? I'm loath to go to the H-D dealer and pay an exorbitant price when a good independent would be a better bet?
    Any Auto Electrician should be able to find the fault.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Hi All

WSM motorcycles. Pat will sort you out.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks chaps.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I managed to ascertain what the snag was. A mechanic friend of mine whom I met through my local IAM Roadsmart group here in the Top of the South diagnosed it down as being a duff relay. The starter motor and fuel pump use a relay each and one of them had failed.

$50 to him for his time (It took him less than an hour to diagnose the problem) and two new relays later (At just over $11 each) and the problem should be sorted once I fit the new ones this weekend.

Result!

Thread Information