Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil brands?!

Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono v4 Factory

Engine oil brands?!

So I’ve been looking at some brands and Motul seems to that bike specific oil brand. I’ve also seen Penrite have motorcycle oil too, motul 10w 40 7100 is $130 whereas Penrite 10w 40 full synthetic is $50. What’s everyone’s view on this?

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Just about to pour 3.4lts of the Penrite stuff into the 1200 Tenere

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/p...100102#start=1

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've used Penrite for years, it's perfectly good oil. Make sure you get the PAO/ester version in mulletman's link as they make 2 full synthetic 10W-40 oils.

Repco or Supercheap usually have it on special every few months.

$130 for Motul 7100 seems a bit excessive.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I've used Penrite for years, it's perfectly good oil. Make sure you get the PAO/ester version in mulletman's link as they make 2 full synthetic 10W-40 oils.

yeah that's the one...

I've got a 2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory.

Would you say the Penrite will be ok to use?

I mean, is this just a brand thing where one just sells it for much higher purely because of the brand or are there actually significant difference?

Cheers

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    yeah that's the one...

I've got a 2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory.

Would you say the Penrite will be ok to use?

I mean, is this just a brand thing where one just sells it for much higher purely because of the brand or are there actually significant difference?

Cheers
    Just look at how much Motul spends on advertising and sponsorship competed to Penrite, and there is some of your price difference. The margins a bike shop makes on Motul will be higher, especially if you buy Penrite when it's discounted.

I've tried other brands, and found the PAO/ester Penrite to be at least as good.

What oil have you been using?

Bike
    Just look at how much Motul spends on advertising and sponsorship competed to Penrite, and there is some of your price difference. The margins a bike shop makes on Motul will be higher, especially if you buy Penrite when it's discounted.

I've tried other brands, and found the PAO/ester Penrite to be at least as good.

What oil have you been using?

Might sound odd but on my jap bikes I’ve used Penrite and I’ve bought motul (not the 10w 40 7100) for my Triumph. That’s just my brain telling me ‘use the higher quality stuff for the non-jap’. Silly. But I’m starting to think they’re all quite the same?

I mean, what triggered this thought was that when I go to these motor shop retailer’s; even to get oil for my car, I get Penrite and Castrol. But mind you, big mechanic companies use brands you wouldn’t have even heard of and they’ve been using them for years and they would be considered cheaper than Castrol and Penrite. Won’t name the brands!

Interesting stuff.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    Might sound odd but on my jap bikes I’ve used Penrite and I’ve bought motul (not the 10w 40 7100) for my Triumph. That’s just my brain telling me ‘use the higher quality stuff for the non-jap’. Silly. But I’m starting to think they’re all quite the same?

I mean, what triggered this thought was that when I go to these motor shop retailer’s; even to get oil for my car, I get Penrite and Castrol. But mind you, big mechanic companies use brands you wouldn’t have even heard of and they’ve been using them for years and they would be considered cheaper than Castrol and Penrite. Won’t name the brands!

Interesting stuff.
    Engine oil is basically a blend of base oils plus an additive package. Penrite actually has some advantages as an independent because they can source product from almost any of the manufacturers of base oils. I understand that they generally use Lubrizol additives, and you would probably be surprised who else does the same.

Bike
    moped
    Using "Penrite" 10 Tenths, for the Classic Race bikes Full Synthetic - Full Zinc, good for the older Bikes.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Ditto what he said. I use the Penrite PAO and Ester-based oil in my machines and it's been fine thus far. It's usually around $80 for 4 litres, sometimes less if there's a promotion going on.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    An absolute rip, but then there's a reason every bike shop has a Motul stand and it's not for the benefit of the customer.

I found Penrite ok in my Triumph, but I switched to Total full synthetic due to grade (10W50) for the 1290. Now I'm paying around $11 per litre, so it's way better value.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    An absolute rip, but then there's a reason every bike shop has a Motul stand and it's not for the benefit of the customer.

I found Penrite ok in my Triumph, but I switched to Total full synthetic due to grade (10W50) for the 1290. Now I'm paying around $11 per litre, so it's way better value.
    If I wait for a discount, I can usually get the Penrite PAO/ester oils for about $50 for 4 l.

Total recommend Moto 4 Tech 10W-50 for the R1. Is that the one that you are using?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    If I wait for a discount, I can usually get the Penrite PAO/ester oils for about $50 for 4 l.

Total recommend Moto 4 Tech 10W-50 for the R1. Is that the one that you are using?
    $50 is alright for the Penrite

No, I'm using "TOTAL HI-PERF 4T RACING 10W-50", a full synthetic as opposed to Elf's MOTO 4 which is synthetic tech, so effectively not a true synthetic.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    $50 is alright for the Penrite

No, I'm using "TOTAL HI-PERF 4T RACING 10W-50", a full synthetic as opposed to Elf's MOTO 4 which is synthetic tech, so effectively not a true synthetic.
    Where are you buying the Total oil? I remember there was a place in East Tamaki, but that was a few years ago.

I did try a 10W-50 semi synthetic in the R1, which worked well as there was less clutch drag when cold. But the semi didn't last as long as the Penrite PAO / ester oil.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I think the biggest thing is to ensure that whatever oil you use meets the bike manufacturers rating. My TDM requires 10w 40, Jaso Ma. I think the Jaso Ma bit is about additives and and the Japanese oil testing regime. If it's Jaso Ma, I use it, no issues with different brands.

Having said that, when I had my car serviced recently the mechanic told me he was changing his oil brand from Penrite to Valvoline. Simply because Valvoline has been tested and recommended by the car manufacturer and removes any argument should their be a warranty claim.

Food for thought if you have a new bike under warranty.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Where are you buying the Total oil? I remember there was a place in East Tamaki, but that was a few years ago.
    I'm getting it directly from a distibutor in Feilding. His details should be on the Total NZ site.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information