Thread: Slowest rebuild on the planet of 2 x RG50 Gamma

Bike
    RG50 x 2 x AC50 MAverick

Slowest rebuild on the planet of 2 x RG50 Gamma

Hi guys, well yes I'm new here, ..... A good guy in the forums advised me to start posting and talking about my project and see what sort of feedback I get.

Long story cut short to get things started.

Have had only a few bikes over the years , nothing too scary or fast but plenty of fun, AC50, A100, R5350 (yep an R5) ,GT250X7 and now I am back to my roots riding an AC50 for fun and have started rebuilding 2 mid 80's RG50 Gamma's.

Plan is to run one mostly stock RG50 and the other will be sort of a fast street tune - what ever that is please educate me........ I do have a recipe I am using as a guide but welcome all views and experience.

I will start a blog about the builds once the system allows me to.

Priority right now is to get 2 frames and swingarms blasted and swell painted - so I seek your learned opinions and facts about what you all think is the best approach. I am not adverse to doing it right first time and spending a little bit more.

Have 2 good engines and enough parts to get 2 full rolling bikes and a fair bit of tatty plastic and 2 average tanks.

Pipes I am ordering from Graham Coker in South Africa............. he has some nice gear and it seems the best and most economical approach to be honest.

Every nut bolt washer bushing suspension links .....etc etc has been ultrasonic cleaned and sorted into a pile of good and average condition parts. Thinking of replating a lot of it? how to go about such - have googled a lot of this and its quite diy-able

Plenty more to come, please feel free to fire all your thoughts flames poopoos and help, I won't take it too seriously unless its helpful

cheers
    Rich

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by splitn2 View Post
    Hi guys, well yes I'm new here, .....
    Everybody needs a hobby ... some just aren't aware they need a hobby.

One or two on here have done the Postie bike thing ... but I'm sure a few on here will know all about RG50's ... for one reason or another.

But welcome to the site ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RG50 x 2 x AC50 MAverick
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Everybody needs a hobby ... some just aren't aware they need a hobby..
    true that , I actually am one for having (too ?) many hobbies and I fluctuate between them a bit, but I am very excited about tinkering with the RG !!!

cheers
    Rich

Bike
    RG50 x 2 x AC50 MAverick

off to get the frames stripped

off to get the frames and swingarms stripped today, then painting, progress.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201030_122039.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	347648

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Graham is a good guy, must make contact with him again. The Cheetah 500cc pipes on his site were made for me.

I raced RG50 for 20 years. But I also had a road one for about 10. Took it to the Cold Kiwi 6 times from Wellington. Despite usually having at least two more appropriate bikes in the garage.

A mate called me a month or so back asking if I wanted to buy it back as it had come into his possession. He's doing it up.

Tanks are the biggest issue for rust bottom left corner gets water rust damage.

I sold all my bits a couple of years ago to someone doing roadbike up.

There are not many claims to fame, but I can put my hand up as an RG50 expert if you need some advice.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Sold
    One of the entrants for the 2003 Southern Cross ride rode an RG50. For those who don't know about the SC, the start that year was mid-day at Cape Egmont lighthouse, with 24 hours to check in at East Cape lighthouse. Another 2 days to check in at Cape Reinga lighthouse and then 3 days to reach the signpost at Bluff. Good going on any bike but bloody impressive on an RG50 AND he made it on time!

Just for info, there used to be one at the transport museum just outside Wanaka. Photo taken in 2007 when we toured down south. Also a nice NSR 50 there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOT0112.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	347655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wanaka transport10.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	347656  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That's one of those mini not really gsxr gag bikes. Ain't no RG50.

Bike
    RG50 x 2 x AC50 MAverick
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Graham is a good guy, must make contact with him again. The Cheetah 500cc pipes on his site were made for me.

I raced RG50 for 20 years. But I also had a road one for about 10. Took it to the Cold Kiwi 6 times from Wellington. Despite usually having at least two more appropriate bikes in the garage.

A mate called me a month or so back asking if I wanted to buy it back as it had come into his possession. He's doing it up.

Tanks are the biggest issue for rust bottom left corner gets water rust damage.

I sold all my bits a couple of years ago to someone doing roadbike up.

There are not many claims to fame, but I can put my hand up as an RG50 expert if you need some advice.
    Thanks, yes keen for your thoughts on this. I've attached the document Graham shared publicly that documents his tested proven RG60 recipes, its very helpful for me but equally I welcome other ideas too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suzuki-rg60-enginespecs.pdf  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    He seems to have moved over to Facebook these days, not a fan.

Biggest issue is making sure you have a fresh birendra. Bikes that have been sitting around years die if revved like crazy.

Thread Information