Thread: FIRST BIKE FOR BEGINNERS GN125H vs GSX150

Bike
    gn125

FIRST BIKE FOR BEGINNERS GN125H vs GSX150

Hi guys, my girlfriend and I(We both girls) just got motorcycle learners license and ready to buy our first motorbike. We basically just gonna share the bike to go to work or to go around town.

We have 2 options for the bike so far, Suzuki GN125H and GSX150. My girlfriend like the look of the GN125H but I think the GSX150 is more safe to ride for beginners. The GSX150 is around $200 more expensive than the GN125H. Both are new.

So what do you think about these 2 bikes? Do you have any suggestion for other bikes?

Thank you

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by human_dishwasher View Post
    Hi guys, my girlfriend and I(We both girls) just got motorcycle learners license and ready to buy our first motorbike. We basically just gonna share the bike to go to work or to go around town.

We have 2 options for the bike so far, Suzuki GN125H and GSX150. My girlfriend like the look of the GN125H but I think the GSX150 is more safe to ride for beginners. The GSX150 is around $200 more expensive than the GN125H. Both are new.

So what do you think about these 2 bikes? Do you have any suggestion for other bikes?

Thank you
    Welcome along to KB ladies,me, I'd get the 150, much better machine and so much more maneuverable, will get you out of trouble with a whole lot less stress than the GN, if you can't agree on these 2 then go look seriously at the 250 GN, it has enough power to again, get you out of harm's way.A certain young lady (Thani-B) rode a 250 GN with the SATNR crew on our regular Thursday night rides, wasn't long before she was showing most old hands a clean pair of heels in the twisties, she moved on after a while to a 600 Kwaka, an Orange one, got her uni degree, been overseas come back and settled down to work and to ride.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You don't necessarily need new bikes for your first.
    Not all GN125/250 are created equal, with the older ones being better built (Jap from memory with newer ones being Chinese?)
    Remember you're not restricted to 250cc or less, there is a LAMS scheme: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...d-motorcycles/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    nightrod
    Quote Originally Posted by human_dishwasher View Post

Thank you
    You’re talking to the right person.

I have many extensive years of experience riding bikes on and off.

Deans not list:
    - Anything GN is too slow.
    - GSX150 is a lawn mower.

You want something with a little more pep in it’s step.
    Something that puts a smile on your dial.

Deans hot tips:
    - RS 250 2 stroke
    - CBR 250 90’s

Let’s talk leather gears - what have you got?
    We can talk about bikes all day but it’s the gear that compliments the bike - like bread and butter.

Thanks,
    Dean

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Deans hot tips:
    - RS 250 2 stroke
    The RS250 is not approved for learners, nor suitable as a first bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    You’re talking to the right person.

I have many extensive years of experience riding bikes on and off.

Deans hot tips:
    - RS 250 2 stroke
    - CBR 250 90’s
    Yeah, nah she's not. As pointed out the RS250 is not learner permitted and decent mid 90's 250's are few and far between.

Back to the OP, both options you've mentioned are good learner bikes but my choice would be the 150 for the reasons caseye mentioned.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I sold a GSX150 recently. It'll do 110 fully tapped out with my 80kg weight on it. (I'd hate to have to break a brand new one in as you'd be pottering around for 1000 km in 50km/h zones.) It also has 4000km service intervals, which is something to bear in mind when considering the cost.

If you do get the GSX, factor in another couple of hundred dollars to put some decent tyres on it - the first wet day on it and the back slid sideways under a minor lean. I've been riding long enough to deal with that, but I'd hate it to have happened to a newby. after a couple of low traction events, I put some Pilot Streets on it and it never happened unexpectedly again.

I had a GN250 back in the day. It probably couldn't go much faster than the GSX, so I'm not sure what the 125s would go like. Perhaps you would be better off looking at a second hand GN250 rather than a GN125. Likewise, a GSXR250 might be better than a GSX150. A 150 is a decent enough option around town. But, if you ever intend to take your bike on a 100 km/h road, I'd definitely recommend a 250 over a 150.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you might be better off looking at an R15 v3 or a Duke 200, as they come with ABS. Personally, I'd recommend a second hand MT03 or similar as you'd get ABS, a far superior bike compared to what you're looking at (brakes, engine, suspension etc), and a bike with 10,000km service intervals. I'd also single out a CBR300 as a great bike to learn on. I rode a CBR250 (the gen before it was expanded to a 300) from Cromwell to Auckland once. It was a fantastic weekend of riding.

Sent from my SHT-AL09 using Tapatalk

Thread Information