Thread: New Leathers - recommendations?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

New Leathers - recommendations?

Im in the market to replace my gear. Im only looking at leather, as it will be track / race used a well as road.

prefer 2 piece, but open to one piece as well

Been a long time since I have needed to buy anything other than a helmet - so whats your opinions on worthwhile brands / retailers, vs ones to completely avoid?
    Ive used 1tonne and Qmoto stuff previously, and been fairly happy with it.
    Seems like theres a few different options out there, many of which Ive never heard of - Curvento, FC moto to name a few.

So, hit me with your thoughts, preferably based on actual experience with the brand.

budget somewhat flexible, but I cant afford the fancy airbag stuff, or the $2k stuff

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    Sometimes the best value is in the clearance rack to make way for the new season stuff. An example below.

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rvrsnova1.aspx

My preferred brand is Rev'it as it fits me quite well. Have a one piece that comes out for track adventures, with a two piece set (Vertex GT) that I favour for road riding.

The budget stuff never really does it for me, so despite me being a Dutchie, prefer to pay a few bucks more for stuff that suits/fits properly. Works better long term.

Have fun shopping around

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    yup have had a look there. one issue is they seem to have quite low stock, and quite a few sizes not available

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Im in the market to replace my gear. Im only looking at leather, as it will be track / race used a well as road.

prefer 2 piece, but open to one piece as well

Been a long time since I have needed to buy anything other than a helmet - so whats your opinions on worthwhile brands / retailers, vs ones to completely avoid?
    Ive used 1tonne and Qmoto stuff previously, and been fairly happy with it.
    Seems like theres a few different options out there, many of which Ive never heard of - Curvento, FC moto to name a few.

So, hit me with your thoughts, preferably based on actual experience with the brand.

budget somewhat flexible, but I cant afford the fancy airbag stuff, or the $2k stuff
    I'll follow this with a bit interest in what you find, for me trying to find a two piece that doesnt have stretch panels in the body or arms is difficult, i like to ride in winter and those panels let cold air in, also prefer minimal external or no pockets - less zips on the outside the better.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    What size you needing Tim? I have a Qmoto 2 piece that I have hardly used, in mint cond, and it is a bit toight on my waist. I have been given an RST pants that fits me good so getting a matching jacket. So out with the old. PM me if keen. 44/54 jacket and 34 pants
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    The ones that fit well and allow freedom of movement. I've had "okay" brand leathers that I had rip the lining in as it was restricting hanging off when racing.

The cut of race leathers is very different to more road orientated gear. Even to the point the arms may be stitched in at a different angle, vented, more external armour....usually have better stretch panels. BUT may be uncomfortable to stand up so well in (voice up an octave!).

Within reason the usual proviso of you get what you pay for applies on quality but the fit can make or break a set too. A great set that doesn't fit or suit you (like what I did there!) will be more annoying than a lesser set that fits well (assuming a min level of quality is achieved).

For lots of track work and less amount of road riding, I'd default to one piece every time.

Also, look at stitching, how many panels used (too many is not good as more seams to get rubbed), stitching protection, armour, colours obviously, zips, position of zips, sit on a bike....

Goto your LBS / local larger stockist of gear try on what they have or can get and buy the ones you can find that fit you. The fit between brands is massive, for the same size. Number for number, I have tried some brands that I swim in vs feel like custom... A mate bought some Astars online. Nice suit, slightly too big, about one size too big.... Got them back to the supplier and asked for one size down. Didn't have them, got another model in the one size smaller and were too small....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Well 1tonne is not a goer - their latest communication to me was that they are going out of leather suits. Damn. Theyd have been the ideal provider.

Has anyone purchased from FC moto?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Forget 1 piece if you ever intend on stopping for lunch on a hot day. Here, I'll just undo this top bit and walk around the cafe with flailing arms and then sit back, still sweating onto the back bits. . . Hell.

Just buying Alpinestars set which as $1700 list for the pair is quite reasonable I thought. And they are clearing old line stuff for less. Am combining it with a Techair airbag vest as has compatible stretch panels. Its another stretch of budget but I'd rather reduce risk of more brokenness vs upgrading the bike.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    nightrod
    The answer is save up more money and buy both - 1 piece for track & 2 piece for road.

I’ve been doing this awhile and agree with the fellow veteran F5 Dave (above).
    1 piece just isn’t practical for the road.

Thread Information