Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Event - Imagine

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The problem is, herding motorcyclists are like cats.
    That be the Bronze course on Great South Rd you're talking about.

RC has the right idea, just the diversity of the group runs counter to achieving unity.

R4E needs a boost, so my vote has to go towards that bikini wash. Even better if they're girls wearing the bikinis

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Of course you do not. So, just keep being you, you sheep.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Hard to come up with the perfect event that captures all sorts of riders. Just make sure the team are at the Burt Munroe Rally thousands go there and sadly some don’t make it home.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    sorry, i don't talk shorthand and therefore have no idea what you're on about.
    I think he's having a bad night. He red repped me for my comment about being interested to hear from an electric motorcycle development engineer. Must have upset him?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    ... Even better if they're girls wearing the bikinis
    I'm torn. You'd do a damn fine job cleaning my bikes... but I think you in a bikini is a step too far
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    F*** you and the horses you rode into town on, you Wellington / MOH invertebrate bureaucrats.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Taking bits out of the marketing world and what I have seen overseas and would like to see myself.

1) Who's the market? Think about what they would like to see or be involved with. Will it be all age groups - their wants are probably quite different.
    2) Swap meet! nothing better than buying some one's old shite and selling your own to fix something and the hunting through the piles.
    3) Interactive. Things for people to participate in. Doesn't have to be at a track or track day or motorcross or whatever.
    4) technical support like Suspension engineers, tyre tech, R4E etc all running half hour sessions on basics.
    5) Really cool shit to see or famous people that are worth hearing from.

Bike
    NC30s
    I am a 33year old male who is mainly interested in older bikes of the Japanese variety.
    What I would like to see at an event, is a lot of interesting classics and customs. I enjoy wandering around and seeing beautiful original (and not so original) restorations and old race reps etc. I am sure that there are a lot of people out there with some really cool bikes that would like an opportunity to show them off.

I'd be very interested in seeing the current crop of electric bikes, specifically electric superbikes (Zero for example). The opportunity to test ride one would be amazing. I'd even be excited to have a go on one of those HD LiveWires if the opportunity presented itself.
    If nothing else, even throwing a leg over and having a close look would be pretty neat.

I am really not interested in hearing about new motorcycle gear unless it's interesting new tech to try out in person like helmets with an integrated HUD. I can't think of anything more boring than listening to a spiel about the new Rev-It 2021 version winter riding gloves (for example).

In summary:
    A motorcycle show with cool old bikes and interesting customs, with vendors showcasing interesting new technology like electric superbikes and helmets with a HUD.

[EDIT] Suspension workshops and skills training would be cool, but it might be a hard sell to get people to sit down for half an hour when they are there with family and kids.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    I am a 33year old male who is mainly interested in older bikes of the Japanese variety.
    What I would like to see at an event, is a lot of interesting classics and customs. I enjoy wandering around and seeing beautiful original (and not so original) restorations and old race reps etc. I am sure that there are a lot of people out there with some really cool bikes that would like an opportunity to show them off.

I'd be very interested in seeing the current crop of electric bikes, specifically electric superbikes (Zero for example). The opportunity to test ride one would be amazing. I'd even be excited to have a go on one of those HD LiveWires if the opportunity presented itself.
    If nothing else, even throwing a leg over and having a close look would be pretty neat.

I am really not interested in hearing about new motorcycle gear unless it's interesting new tech to try out in person like helmets with an integrated HUD. I can't think of anything more boring than listening to a spiel about the new Rev-It 2021 version winter riding gloves (for example).

In summary:
    A motorcycle show with cool old bikes and interesting customs, with vendors showcasing interesting new technology like electric superbikes and helmets with a HUD.

[EDIT] Suspension workshops and skills training would be cool, but it might be a hard sell to get people to sit down for half an hour when they are there with family and kids.
    You are a shining light in a sea of pessimism. Thsnks for your balanced and helpful response.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Put up a ride forever stand tomorrow night in Martinbough with the BMW GS Rallye We always have a couple that come off or get unstuck. I need some more tire gauges.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post

In summary:

Ditto what Rastus said. I was starting to lose the will to live having read some of the earlier posts...

I'd personally love to see something to do with EVs - Something other than the marketing speak/PR that I've been exposed to thus far. For instance I'm currently watching the 'Long way up' series with Ewan and Charlie riding their modified H-D Livewires. The practicalities of EVs here in NZ is something that I'd like to hear more about. That and what the future looks like as I'd love to own an electric bike.

One day anyway.

Also some of the Ride Forever crowd themselves - I'd be keen to pick their brains on a few things.

Bike
    A
    Well Pete, the event that seemed to create a reasonable buzz was the one run last year on Barrys Point Rd in Takapuna, motorcycle awareness month if I recall correctly. Got some reasonable numbers of riders thru R4E that'd never done one before. Kinda funny too when riders I'd spoken to then attended one of my R4Es, and they seemed surprised I did more than just talk about this stuff.

How did motorcycle awareness month stack up in terms of bang for buck for ACC?

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I have engaged, again, at length with NZ Health and NZ Polizei bureaucrats to organize an event in Dec where all proceeds plus sponsorship support (already in excess of $NZ750) would go directly to the charity's beneficiaries.

These Govt jobsworths are fucking Unfit For Purpose.

The requirements of us as organizers, are excessively policing-paranoid.

'We' have now decided that we will just donate directly, and will not try to get more $ from a likely helpful public, because to do so would put us at greater risk than the donations we can already summon, would provide.

FYYFF.

That is all.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    You are a shining light in a sea of pessimism. Thsnks for your balanced and helpful response.
    Sorry. I thought you were seeking honest feedback from an open forum. Next time I will just get my pom poms out.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if some way of doing maintenance courses wouldn’t be an attractive proposition for new riders, part time riders and those of us unskilled in the ways of the spanner?

I did one ages ago but it was a watch and learn set up, so it kind of went in one ear and out the other. Maybe something where you could be supervised while doing the basic safety checks on your own bike? To make sure you’re doing it right?

Maybe checking brake pads, levers/pedals, tyres, oil and water, maybe going as far as chain adjustment?

Not sure how much of a factor poor maintenance would be in accident stats.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information