Thread: GN125 electrical issue?

Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono v4 Factory

GN125 electrical issue?

Hello, so I’ve got a 2016 GN125 and it’s been sitting for a few months so the battery died. I bought a new battery, Motobatt MB9U (suggested by the lady there!). I plugged it in, and it started just fine but then it stopped and now there’s no electric at all. The dash doesn’t even light up, headlight won’t turn on - nothing. So I checked the fuse and that was burnt so I purchased some new fuses. Tried those and each time, the bike would turn on and then the fuse just burns.

Any idea what the issue is here? Some electrical issue? How would I go about mitigating this? Do I need to see a mechanic, or can your average joe work it out?!

Cheers!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    Hello, so I’ve got a 2016 GN125 and it’s been sitting for a few months so the battery died. I bought a new battery, Motobatt MB9U (suggested by the lady there!). I plugged it in, and it started just fine but then it stopped and now there’s no electric at all. The dash doesn’t even light up, headlight won’t turn on - nothing. So I checked the fuse and that was burnt so I purchased some new fuses. Tried those and each time, the bike would turn on and then the fuse just burns.

Any idea what the issue is here? Some electrical issue? How would I go about mitigating this? Do I need to see a mechanic, or can your average joe work it out?!

Cheers!
    Basics, do you have the connection hooked up correctly, not as silly as it sounds, you would not be the first one to do it.
    If not that, then it's pretty clear you have a dead short somewhere, there are many here in KB who will be able to tell you how to diagnose and fix this issue, good luck.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono v4 Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Basics, do you have the connection hooked up correctly, not as silly as it sounds, you would not be the first one to do it.
    If not that, then it's pretty clear you have a dead short somewhere, there are many here in KB who will be able to tell you how to diagnose and fix this issue, good luck.
    It definitely is connected properly. Black on negative and red on positive.

How would I go about finding out where the short is?

Cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    It definitely is connected properly. Black on negative and red on positive.

How would I go about finding out where the short is?

Cheers
    If the bike has been outside for a few months in the weather ... water may have cause the short. Mice or birds might have even made a nest in there somewhere.

Check first that the correct fuses are being used. And being used in their correct spot. Check the fuses are being held firmly and cannot make contact with other fuses or their holders. Make sure the fuse box cover is securely in place.

Take a very close look at the entire wiring loom ... looking at ALL connections. Shake/move each one you can see. Look especially for blackened/burnt ones. Pay close attention to just under the seat area. The seat base may even be making contact with the battery ... or is forcing the wrong connections to make contact with each other. Storing "Stuff" under the seat sometimes can do this.

Remove the fuel tank ... they can chafe wiring not properly put in place.

Look for damaged/burnt wiring ... and at areas that seem to have had "Repairs". Not necessarily by you ... a "Previous" owner often gets the blame. And sometimes ... is actually the case.

Some might suggest you get a circuit tester and check things out yourself. But ... unless you're familiar with using one ... it will just confuse you.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information