Thread: Custom build electrical wiring

Bike
    94 Harley chopper

Custom build electrical wiring

Hi
    Can anyone tell me the best place in NZ to buy electrical wire fo a Harley custom build?
    I’ve bought handle bar switches for 1996+ system with six wires out of each. I want wiring to connect
    To brake switches, Indicators, etc.
    Thanks

Bike
    Exercycle

i get all that stuff - wire, sheathing, heatshrink, connectors etc - from Canterbury Auto Electric in Hornby, ChCh.

I suggest you ask a local auto sparky if there's a supplier in Dunedin.

Do it right though - I was once asked to sort a 250 Ducati with electrical problems. Rewired by a "professional mechanic"
    When I saw it was all one colour wire in the harness I told the owner to take it back to the idiot who wired it.

Bike
    welbike

wireing

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    i get all that stuff - wire, sheathing, heatshrink, connectors etc - from Canterbury Auto Electric in Hornby, ChCh.

I suggest you ask a local auto sparky if there's a supplier in Dunedin.

Do it right though - I was once asked to sort a 250 Ducati with electrical problems. Rewired by a "professional mechanic"
    When I saw it was all one colour wire in the harness I told the owner to take it back to the idiot who wired it.
    interesting you say that Grumph. I quite like doing wireing as it is quite easy to do a good job if you take your time and use factory connecters etc. over the years I hve seen some real dogs breakfasts on sidecars with wires going into the loom one colour and out another which makes it real easy to fault find. When I did my last one I went to the local auto sparky to try to get a wire of a particular colour and was quite horrified when he told me they don't really worry about the colours to much !!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Aliexpress is an option. Tends to be the best selection of different colours.

Otherwise, head to pick'a'part and rip a loom from a car and hope for the right colours

Bike
    94 Harley chopper
    Thanks Grumph, Drew, Ian Staples.
    I’ll try ChCh auto. If no luck I’ll try either alibaba or check out a wrecker.
    Thanks guys, I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Cheers

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Those guys are pretty good although I've only used them once since they moved from their old wooden shack
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    interesting you say that Grumph. I quite like doing wireing as it is quite easy to do a good job if you take your time and use factory connecters etc. over the years I hve seen some real dogs breakfasts on sidecars with wires going into the loom one colour and out another which makes it real easy to fault find. When I did my last one I went to the local auto sparky to try to get a wire of a particular colour and was quite horrified when he told me they don't really worry about the colours to much !!
    Well, a bike is a lot simpler. Even a later road bike. You can get away with very few colours on a race bike harness - but some things should be a given.
    Red for power and black for earth is a good start. Factory colours for the ignition circuit.
    Cars these days tend to have unique connectors which prevent things being connected up wrongly. Bit harder to do this with what's available locally.

The old man (AMIMechE) taught A grade auto electrics at night school in the 50's. When I built my first race bike from a roadster he came and looked the wiring over, grunted and walked away.
    I took that as approval.

Oh - and the Ducati I quoted, the owner had seen another one I'd been involved with. That one used a replica harness ex the US with the correct colours - and about $90US. Why'd you even bother doing your own ?

Thread Information