Thread: Bike setup

Bike
    2017 Street Triple RS

Bike setup

I've been riding for a fair few years now, but realized after coming across some Dave Moss videos on YouTube that I've never really setup my bike as such

I previously owned a ZXR250C and a CBR250RR, the ZXR was an awesome bike and just felt very dialed in and comfortable, so I was way more confident and faster, the CBR actually I crashed due to locking up the rear brake due to how bad the ergo issues were, there were also issues with the brake lever position... which meant I couldn't really brake without rolling on the throttle a bit.

I just picked up a Street Triple 765RS and found that I had the same issue with the throttle under braking, and from the Dave Moss video that lowering the lever is a good idea, it seemed to fix it straight away. It makes me think... how much safer and more confidence inspiring would it would be to ride a fully setup bike.

Is there someone around Wellington that could help me with setting up a bike? I just moved her recently and so don't have any riding mates yet Otherwise is this something a bike shop could help me with? I really don't like TSS so please don't recommend that place

Bike
    moped
    Dave Moss, comes to NZ over Summer and does bike set up seminars all over. He allways attends the "Shiney Side Up" bike displays at "Southwards" Paraparaumu and runs seminars and bike set ups, allways a good event keep your ear to the ground for dates, generally February.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawked View Post
    Is there someone around Wellington that could help me with setting up a bike? I just moved her recently and so don't have any riding mates yet Otherwise is this something a bike shop could help me with? I really don't like TSS so please don't recommend that place
    Most of what you need to do ... is put things where they suit YOU ... NOT where somebody else thinks they should be.

Put the bike on the main stand (if it has one) ... sit on it with your feet on the pegs ... close your eyes and reach for the bars where you think they should be. Do the same with the controls ... brake clutch etc.

Usually just small changes can make a difference to the ease of control you will then have. The gear and brake levers need to be easy and stress free to use. No awkward (or even slight) twisting of your wrists/ankles to use them. The Bars being also important to set right for YOU. Take the time to do it as you prefer it to be right for you. Sometimes a few "Test Rides" to confirm your positioning is correct. Or not. Usually subtle ... not radical changes are required.

On some bikes ... the foot pegs can be adjusted (easily).

YOU decide what needs changed.

All of the above require (usually) a simple tool kit.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Wot he said...

Do your set up and go for a ride with the tools you used. Easy enough to stop and tweek things a tad.

Same as you, op, I never realised how important set up is for comfort and control. Then I bought a trials bike....

Could hardly ride the bloody thing until I set it up for my gibbon like arms and big feet. This had me looking at the rest of my bikes and tweeking to suit.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2017 Street Triple RS
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Most of what you need to do ... is put things where they suit YOU ... NOT where somebody else thinks they should be.

Put the bike on the main stand (if it has one) ... sit on it with your feet on the pegs ... close your eyes and reach for the bars where you think they should be. Do the same with the controls ... brake clutch etc.

Usually just small changes can make a difference to the ease of control you will then have. The gear and brake levers need to be easy and stress free to use. No awkward (or even slight) twisting of your wrists/ankles to use them. The Bars being also important to set right for YOU. Take the time to do it as you prefer it to be right for you. Sometimes a few "Test Rides" to confirm your positioning is correct. Or not. Usually subtle ... not radical changes are required.

On some bikes ... the foot pegs can be adjusted (easily).

YOU decide what needs changed.

All of the above require (usually) a simple tool kit.
    Mmm I get what you mean, but I don't 100% agree. From the Dave Moss videos, it seems people don't know what they are doing is wrong, it requires a second external viewer to see it. He encourages people to regularly review each other. Regarding levers, sure that is all something you can do yourself, and something I have already done.

But I would really like to someone to check externally my posture, and then help with measure and adjusting sag... which I can't do myself. Plus I really know nothing about setting up a bike, I would rather get a pro to show me so I can learn what the bike should feel like. All I have experienced are bikes which have not been setup, so I need to reset my normal. That's why I want the help of someone external with experience, I can then work from there.

Bike
    2017 Street Triple RS
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    Dave Moss, comes to NZ over Summer and does bike set up seminars all over. He allways attends the "Shiney Side Up" bike displays at "Southwards" Paraparaumu and runs seminars and bike set ups, allways a good event keep your ear to the ground for dates, generally February.
    Thanks for the heads up, hopefully COVID doesn't stop him coming.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    I watched a few of his videos and then set stuff up for my bikes based on that. The ergo stuff is fairly easy.

Suspension isnt that hard either, the basic principles are the same for all bikes. I got my Missus to help when I needed measuring of travel and stuff. That made a big difference, and I will gladly pay for him to tweak it next time he is over.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    Give Bryce a call he works out of Naenae and is listed on Trade Me

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...x?id=711508927

He transformed my bike and has got years of experience

Good luck

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Not sure what your problem with TSS is. They've been been for me over the last decade or two.

Thread Information