Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: east cape roads

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans

east cape roads

hey... ok unfamiliar with the area right, but will be hicks bay direction for a national rally... i'm looking at alternative routs eg whats the road like between waipaoa to Frasertown... including Hangaora and Ruakituri? no more than 200k between fuel stops?
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    If the weather is better than what's been thrown at us over the last week, I'm looking to do a circuit of the North Island south of Auckland next week. The Tiniroto Road between Wairoa (Frasertown) and Gisborne is on my radar. Apparently a brilliant road. Only 100km, so fuel won't be an issue. Hangaroa and Ruakituri are up side roads and don't plan to go there.
    Plan to continue around East Cape, Coromandel, Awakino, and down the west coast back home to Kapiti.
    Provided the weather is okay. My last 7 day trip around the South Island in November, I had 6 days of rain and used my tent just once.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    If the weather is better than what's been thrown at us over the last week, I'm looking to do a circuit of the North Island south of Auckland next week. The Tiniroto Road between Wairoa (Frasertown) and Gisborne is on my radar. Apparently a brilliant road. Only 100km, so fuel won't be an issue. Hangaroa and Ruakituri are up side roads and don't plan to go there.
    Plan to continue around East Cape, Coromandel, Awakino, and down the west coast back home to Kapiti.
    Provided the weather is okay. My last 7 day trip around the South Island in November, I had 6 days of rain and used my tent just once.
    Tiniroto Road is superb as long as there hasn't been recent rain as it can get small slips which are slippery as hell because they're made of papa. We came through there in February and one part was like a skating rink. You just need to watch the weather.

Bike
    moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    My old home weekend thrash rides, as Blackbird says, also watch out for stock, goats in particular, but on a nice day Awsome ride mate.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    looks very tight n windy... how long does it usually take on a good day?
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    looks very tight n windy... how long does it usually take on a good day?
    Think it's about 330km from Opotiki to Gisborne? No more than 4 hours with minimal stops.
    One thing about the East Cape. If you see signs saying uneven surface, they really mean it. This isn't like the rest of the country where it means an overly sensitive OSH fella spilt his milk going over a small difference. This is both wheels in the air sort of stuff if you don't ease off
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    im talking about Tiniroto rd how long does it take from one end to the other...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    hey... ok unfamiliar with the area right, but will be hicks bay direction for a national rally... i'm looking at alternative routs eg whats the road like between waipaoa to Frasertown... including Hangaora and Ruakituri? no more than 200k between fuel stops?
    Google tells me it's all sealed. That's a good start anyway.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/...!4d177.5964397

Do the virtual ride.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    mr google says 91 ks takes 1 hr 27 along said route.

Bike
    Sold
    This is the link to a video that one of my riding partners took on Tiniroto Rd in February and encountering one of the slips I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7_w...ature=emb_logo . That's me in the distance in hi viz cleaning out the tyre grooves. The other riders are a bunch of Australians and you'll see one of them drop the bike at the far side of the slip. It wasn't actually the slip itself that was the issue, it was the thin slurry at the far side. Almost impossible to stand up and a 16 wheel truck slid off onto the grass and got stuck. It's a fantastic road though. I did it around midnight 10 years ago as part of one of the 1600 km in under 24 hours organised rides. It wasn't so pleasant in the dark! The first 3 1/2 minutes are Tiniroto Road. The rest is the main highway up towards Te Araroa.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    im talking about Tiniroto rd how long does it take from one end to the other...
    I Did Tiniroto Road over Labour weekend weather was superb, road was great but keep an eye out for wild life & locals. I rode my Connie through there no worry's enjoy it for what it is & it is a great ride on a great day Took me just over a hour @92K from Frasertown to round about south of Makaraka where there is food & gas
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    '18 V-Strom 650
    I ticked this off the bucket list at the start of the year. 90-ish kms, and about 1.5-ish hours. Great piece of road and well worth the time. Watch out for critters. The day I did it, the temps were in the mid to high 30's, according to the on-board thermometer - and no wind. The bike temp gauge didn't shift from normal, but mine did. I'd travelled from Ruatahuna and fueled up in Wairoa, before carrying on to Gisborne.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver

Good road gone bad

After a fabulous ride from north of Napier to Wairoa, I was looking forward to Tiniroto Rd. However the road is badly cut up by logging trucks, even south of Tiniroto. One pothole was about a foot deep and a yard acrooss, so had to stand on my pegs! In other places, the tar from recent repairs is soft, leaving lots of pea gravel on the road.
    Would otherwise be a great road, but this morning the road to Wairoa was much more enjoyable

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Photo from this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_110531.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	922.2 KB 
ID:	347725  

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Thanks man, was going to ask what ya thought... Yeah, naaaa then?
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information