Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten years tick tock the bell tolls for NZ petrol power

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Where does it say he is Japanese?
    It doesn't. Now that you mention it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It is likely the 85 year old was interviewed some time in 2011 shortly after the disaster occurred. This would give a 1926 year of birth and prime university grad age at time of Manhattan project.

Any further questions?
    Graduating as a physics major at 17/18? They would just be leaving school at that age, graduation would be years off. University qualifications have been subject to fearsome inflation but a newly graduated BSc doesn't seem like an instant hire on the Manhattan project.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ohh don't use back of fag packet math to ridicule internet testimony.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    It boggles my mind that despite being human and having to work with others, some people still think that a massive global conspiracy is an actual thing, instead of self-interest and general incompetence being responsible for the mess we're in. All you need for any project to turn to complete and utter shit is two people.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    It boggles my mind that despite being human and having to work with others, some people still think that a massive global conspiracy is an actual thing, instead of self-interest and general incompetence being responsible for the mess we're in. All you need for any project to turn to complete and utter shit is two people.
    Conspiracy: a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

The owners of production and worlds law changers that privately meet at Davos (the plan is secret, not the meeting), and other places, to set the direction that they want the world to go in doesn't fit the definition of massive global conspiracy? Then you'll miss the smidge of irony when ya then consider that said groups meeting to plan the future of mankind have done a shit job coz they're comprised of self-interested and generally incompetent human beings... among other things.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Afternoon.

Perhaps some people think that when self-interest (greed) colludes on a global basis, that is more than sufficient. When such organisations host meetings to discuss future geo-political power or the control of resources and services, and agree co-ordinated action behind closed doors. Like (i) the Banking sector e.g. BIS (ii) Davos (iii) NATO.

Greed sometimes clouds judgement and promotes unwarranted risk-taking. And continued "aggressive action" risks some players ending up in a financial or political "hole" (from which it will prove difficult to extract themselves - and maybe us in turn).

On the subject of their competence (incompetence), well, you be your own judge. But perhaps consider why the following has occurred, and whether you see it as a good sign for general global social and economic health.
    e.g.
    (i) Banking De-Regulation - My first thought was the US Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act in 1999 which repealed Glass-Steagall restrictions (separating US investment and retail banking). And within 10 years, we had a US-initiated Global Financial Crash (2008-09):

https://www.cepr.net/documents/publi...ne-2009-07.pdf

(ii) Bank Interest Rates - Which have continued to fall over the past 2-3 years (even going negative in some cases). Coupled with wide scale qualitative easing (printing of money).

Where even recent minor increases in base lending rates by the FED have threatened to roil the markets (the last increase, only 5 basis points, announced some two weeks ago on the same day as the Biden / Putin summit meeting, caused some degree of consternation in currency markets).

(iii) The Global Derivatives Market - Where the nominal value of the derivatives market probably swamps collective global GDP by a factor of 10x or more (depending upon which financial instruments you factor into consideration).

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...ves-market.asp

I struggle to imagine the global mayhem when that "house of cards" collapses. When banks can't (or won't) settle their inter-party obligations, and when global trading of goods and services - dependent upon credit - consequently slows down or grinds to a halt.

(iv) Global Hedge Funds - Which seem to crash on an increasingly frequent basis, precipitate a "financial crisis", and which end up needing (?) to be bailed out. Risk capital - why should they be bailed out ? How many more financial "trigger events" do we need ?

(v) NATO - Originally established as a defence organisation for western Europe post WW2. Headquartered in Brussels, and controlled by the US military.

Since the collapse of the USSR in 1991, breaking its verbal commitments to the Russian Federation, and progressively expanding its way across eastern Europe to the Black Sea. And with various members becoming involved in NATO missions increasingly further away from home (e.g. Yugoslavia, Libya, Syria, central Africa). Why ?

More recently "baiting" the Russian Federation in their own backyard (courtesy of Boris and HMS Defender). And with plenty more rounds of opportunity this calendar year:

https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2..._exercises.pdf

And now that the EU has been "lined up" to focus its attentions on the RF, the US is now free to "pivot back" to and concentrate on China. Where the US strategy against China is now about to become law (with the Strategic Competition with China Act, S 1169, introduced as a bi-partisan initiative April 15). Leaving little doubt of US intention for all-out confrontation with China, on economic, military, technological and ideological grounds.

What could possibly go wrong? And that's without putting on my tinfoil hat.

[Edit]
    What is the collective term for idiots? A collusion ? An administration ?

https://sputniknews.com/world/202107...nder-incident/
    https://www.rt.com/news/528488-japan...iwan-us-china/

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    We have frequent news reports of instances of racketeering/price fixing/illegal imports/criminal acts/fraud etc.... then in our own workplaces you often see on a smaller scale people will collide in small groups to effect an advantage over others.
    But for some reason people think that the richest and most powerful people in the world justvlet world events run their own natural course at the whim of democracy and the peasants voting choices?
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    We have frequent news reports of instances of racketeering/price fixing/illegal imports/criminal acts/fraud etc.... then in our own workplaces you often see on a smaller scale people will collide in small groups to effect an advantage over others.
    But for some reason people think that the richest and most powerful people in the world justvlet world events run their own natural course at the whim of democracy and the peasants voting choices?
    I did not say that
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Interesting..., wonder if all thectree hugging greenies realise trees bleed for rubber tyres, let alone the peadsnt labour involved in production.....

Puts new angle on strategic importance of neighbour Vietnam ....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Interesting..., wonder if all thectree hugging greenies realise trees bleed for rubber tyres, let alone the peadsnt labour involved in production.....

Puts new angle on strategic importance of neighbour Vietnam ....
    You might not have noticed ... but even Electric cars use rubber tires.

And most of South East Asia is a Rubber Tree growing area (not just Vietnam) ... and the workforce involved (in the harvesting of the rubber sap) is huge.

The Rubber industry will be around for a while yet.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You might not have noticed ... but even Electric cars use rubber tires.

And most of South East Asia is a Rubber Tree growing area (not just Vietnam) ... and the workforce involved (in the harvesting of the rubber sap) is huge.

The Rubber industry will be around for a while yet.
    You may not have noticed that I did notice, the whole reason for the post. Ahhh the fine subtleties of the English grammar when sarcasm emoticons arent used....

Thailand is the major player, Vietnam was just mentioned in terms of its geopolitical significance. Just imagine if the commies has complete control and then Thailand fell. Interestingly we are lucky that Thailand has a western friendly political system undergoing reforms in the Siam era when they realised the French and English had eyes on them

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Some interesting perspectives pop up in this wee vid. I never knew JCB was owned by a Lord.

He does seem to argue a very good case for H.

Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hydrogen is an inefficient energy vector. However it is transportable without batteries. Horses for courses.

Just buying a bike and upgrading wiffs car. Petrol city.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Thailand is the major player, Vietnam was just mentioned in terms of its geopolitical significance. Just imagine if the commies has complete control and then Thailand fell. Interestingly we are lucky that Thailand has a western friendly political system undergoing reforms in the Siam era when they realised the French and English had eyes on them
    The rubber plantations in Vietnam were probably historically owned by Michelin. The plantations in Malaya were owned by British companies.
    Thailand wasn't colonised, so they at least owned their own plantations.

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    If Wellington City Council is anything like other councils:
    • removing street parking,
    • reducing speed to 30 and
    • making streets narrower for cars to install new lanes for cycles,

then there's Andrew Little on tv admitting that the housing crisis will mean no garages for kiwi builds because that's land that can be used for more housing... the future of cars is going to be for the wealthy only. ......
    This scenario fits in with the WCC's and Andrew Little's plans. Tony Seba has been rolling out this presentation for years now and the only thing that seems to change is that predictions turn into fact, usually earlier than predicted.

Sure a lot of the vehicle usage doesn't apply in a country as sparsely populated as New Zealand with our more rural regions but it will for many Western countries and when that happens NZ will have its national fleet significantly affected as vehicle manufacture caters for the volume markets. We just need to ensure that we don't become a dumping ground for all the redundant technology that will result.

Whichever way it plays out you can guarantee that we are in for huge changes in the next decade or so.

Thread Information