Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2021

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Oh she's only 2x world woman's motocross champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtn...(motorcyclist)

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Thanks for the small number of replies regarding getting a young Kiwi onto the world stage.

Sadly, and this is not a personal criticism, but a more general observation, this comment to me, (and I have been hearing it for 20 years or more now), sums up the NZ attitude.

"But hey, good luck to anyone who has a go, it's just such an uphill battle.. "

Everything worth having is an uphill battle. But in NZ we suffer from this "good luck to you" attitude. The world everywhere, not just racing, is very different from when intrepid Kiwis and Aussies took on the world. It is not really possible to do that in that way any longer.

But in other countries when youngsters put their hands up, people say "Good luck to you. How can I help, what do you need?" Here, we don't really get the last bit.

Yes, it does happen and my protoge Cormac Buchanan racing now in Red Bull Rookies Cup and British Talent Cup is an example of how it can happen and how some people do ask the second bit. But just not at the values required to make chasing a dream a less painful journey. No one expects to do it for free, but not feeling the pinch for every tank of traveling fuel would be really nice.

But anyway, it is his dream, so it is down to them to make it work and that is just what they are doing.

His performance so far shows that he (and other Kiwi kids) have the talent and the abilities, if they apply themselves correctly and get into it sufficiently early.

Thinking you can attack the world championships after racing in NZ until you are 16, 17, 18 is simply no longer possible. You need to be facing the best in the world at 14, 15 at a pinch.

Cormac is finding out what the level is right now, but he is only 14 years old, racing against 16/17 year olds with 4, 5, 6 years experience at that high level. And he is in no way disgracing himself. So, we can do it, if we want to.

The passport comment is real enough, to a point. The simple reality is that a good comparison can be made between a Kiwi bike racer and a Spanish rugby player.

The level of competition bike racers have in Spain is similar to that a kiwi kid has playing rugby here. That is why Spain is so well represented in international bike racing currently.

I also believe that kids from NZ realise very early that focusing on one thing is not the be all and end all of life and you can enjoy life here doing lots of things, or nothing for that matter. While in Europe it appears that kids don't see any other paths for themselves so have to give it all from an early age.

Anyway, thanks again.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    Nowt any more

Aprilia: Not yet ready

While the RSV-GP might still be a gnats whisker off the pace of the best bikes, sadly, as I have commented previously, the weak link is Aleix himself.
    I like him a lot, he is a neat guy, but he does not know how to win, or even how to race in the front for a whole race.
    Until he does it, he will not know and Aprilia will not win.
    The Sachsenring race was their only realistic chance of a win IMO and he was just not up to the job.
    IMO, Aprilia need to sign Dovisioso to put the bike in the front, consistently.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Oh she's only 2x world woman's motocross champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtn...(motorcyclist)
    Ooops shows how out of touch I am !!!! (never get near Motocross results !)

Tho way way back have a mate who was NSW Unlimited Motocross Champ (Brian Martin) . Which I think was the for runner of Mr Motocross ????
    I've been lucky to know and grow up with some fantastic riders, who we pretty much knew, would do well overseas, and did !

The other kid Cormac , I'll look for next time.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Ooops shows how out of touch I am !!!! (never get near Motocross results !)
    I don't follow MotoX either, but Courtney gets on the news sometimes and was the subject of a recent magazine type programme on TV One.

Afterthought:
    The magazine programme showed how she crashed shortly after the start of one race, remounted in last place, then rode through the entire field to win. The list of riders who can do that in any class of world championship motorcycle race is not long.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Nowt any more

Morbidelli out for Assen

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/...dutchgp/380572

One could be cynical and think, after Sachsenring result, How convenient.
    I doubt Franko would be unprofessional and throw in the towel so to speak, but it appears that his knee injury suffered a few weeks back might be worse than anticipated and he has aggravated it or even made it worse.
    He will have 6 weeks recovery now, so that should sort him out.

Really interesting to read about the comments from Vinales regarding Yamaha and lack of respect etc. Also interesting to read comments (not from him) suggesting that the consistent weak link in the Yamaha decline (if you want to call it that) is Lin Jarvis. Funny how drivers/riders in F1/MotoGP seem to be disposable/interchangeable commodities, but team managers who preside over schamozzles (Jarvis, Steiner (Haas F1)) seem to be kept on.

One rider who does not have 6 weeks recovery is Cormac Racing Buchanan.
    Four weekends in quick succession (a week gap between first three) of racing in British Talent Cup (Oulton Park, Knockhill, Brands Hatch, Thruxton) followed by two weekends in a row at Spielberg Austria (Rookies Cup), then back to UK for BTC at British GP Silverstone , BTC Snetterton then down to Aragon for Rookies Cup finale, then a month off before BTC finale at Donington GP circuit.
    He is only missing 2 rounds of BTC (4 races) so it is possible he can win it if the cards fall his way.
    Let's wait and see.
    TV coverage of BTC/BSB rounds 2,3,4 is on Discovery Quest channel. Might be accessible from here, don't know.

Bike
    77 XL250
    RE: Lin Jarvis. It is a bit difficult to point the finger at a team manager when one of his riders is up at the pointy end of the title chase and winning races. The Petronas team management seem to be avoiding flak despite both riders being consistently at the wrong end of the field. Not that I feel the Petronas management should be copping any blame mind you.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    https://www.visordown.com/news/racin...tino-rossi-him

Seems like PRT are dropping Rossi.. or at least trying to force him to decide what he is doing
    "If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing" - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Lorenzo has suggested Rossi should give Ducati another whirl as that bike offers more of the feel that he needs. Whether Lorenzo intended that as a cruel joke or seiously is difficult to tell in a tweet.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Rossi is gone from Petronas I reckon.
    Would surprise me if Yamaha is behind this as well. Yamaha just don't want to be seen back stabbing Rossi publicly.

If you look at it from Yamaha's point of view they did very well with PRT training up Fabio.
    They prob want to dump Vinales and their feeder team only has one choice in Franco.
    He well deserves the chance but there is no one else.
    The Rossi saga has put a bung in the hole and he is still hanging them out for a decision.
    There comes a time where results start damaging the brand.
    They stuffed up the Franco bike choice plus should have had him in the factory team beside Fabio.
    With Vinales openly bagging them and Rossi hanging them out to dry, its a major stuff up.
    They are just really lucky Fabio has done well in the Yammy this year or they'd be in crap creek.

When you compare that to the KTM ethos night and day difference.
    Training up new talent and sticking by Binder. No matter if the bike wins they appear to be a kind and inspirational team.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Having Rossi on the team won't hurt the Brand. It would be nice to get some better positions so a new rider is inevitable.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Having Rossi on the team won't hurt the Brand. It would be nice to get some better positions so a new rider is inevitable.
    I think, in the article they suggest that not getting placing, and keeping Rossi on while he is not really helping isnt helping their brand.. like pro cycliing, its getting the name in the front, even if its only for a lap or 2, that gets visibility, and makes sponsors happy
    "If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing" - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    I think, in the article they suggest that not getting placing, and keeping Rossi on while he is not really helping isnt helping their brand.. like pro cycliing, its getting the name in the front, even if its only for a lap or 2, that gets visibility, and makes sponsors happy
    Here ya go iYRe !!!!! who needs leather riding gear ?????? Bet that smarts ?/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1624396854849.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	506.1 KB 
ID:	349284

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Here ya go iYRe !!!!! who needs leather riding gear ?????? Bet that smarts ?/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1624396854849.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	506.1 KB 
ID:	349284
    yeah man, you wanna see the zx-14 pages on facebook, filled with squints with extended swingarms doing street drags basically naked..

I always wear gear
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    https://www.visordown.com/news/racin...tino-rossi-him

Seems like PRT are dropping Rossi.. or at least trying to force him to decide what he is doing

Anyone else read further down about Garret Gerloff replacing the injured Franco Mobidelli !!??

God help all the other riders , Gerloff has smacked into quite a few WSBK riders this year through poor bike control and shit decision making at crucial times, he has been penalised for it.

Wonder how come Toprak didnt get the nod as he's been riding bloody well.

Thread Information