Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2021

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Well the last link to the era of GP bikes I was deeply interested in has gone. I watched the race and the bits after and then realised I don't really care anymore. Just a bunch of kids whizzing around on spaceships. I am so unenthused by the idea of electric bikes as to wonder if motorcycling is even relevant anymore.

Postscript: Get the fuck off my lawn or I'm powering up the autonomous Minimi turrets.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Well the last link to the era of GP bikes I was deeply interested in has gone. I watched the race and the bits after and then realised I don't really care anymore. Just a bunch of kids whizzing around on spaceships. I am so unenthused by the idea of electric bikes as to wonder if motorcycling is even relevant anymore.

Postscript: Get the fuck off my lawn or I'm powering up the autonomous Minimi turrets.
    Rossi's retirement is a significant change and leads me to reflect on other changes. When I started following GPs we waited three months for a magazine with a few black and white pictures. It's only in recent years I discovered what colours some of the factory bikes were. The racing was insanely dangerous with multiple deaths each season. The factory rider(s) tended to clear out from the field and commonly won by minutes. Even in classes with multiple factories the margins could be big. I seem to recall Hugh Anderson fell twice during one GP and still won the race.

Now we have live colour coverage or we can watch it at our leisure. During practice in Valencia Rossi was slowest, 1.5 seconds behind the fastest rider. In 2011 that 1.5 secocnds would have him in fifth place on the grid. I didn't much like Dorna initially but they have developed a fantastic product. I might as well continue enjoy it while I can.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Rossi's retirement is a significant change and leads me to reflect on other changes. When I started following GPs we waited three months for a magazine with a few black and white pictures. It's only in recent years I discovered what colours some of the factory bikes were. The racing was insanely dangerous with multiple deaths each season. The factory rider(s) tended to clear out from the field and commonly won by minutes. Even in classes with multiple factories the margins could be big. I seem to recall Hugh Anderson fell twice during one GP and still won the race.

Now we have live colour coverage or we can watch it at our leisure. During practice in Valencia Rossi was slowest, 1.5 seconds behind the fastest rider. In 2011 that 1.5 secocnds would have him in fifth place on the grid. I didn't much like Dorna initially but they have developed a fantastic product. I might as well continue enjoy it while I can.
    yes mate, lost a bit of interest myself. I didn't start travelling to GP's until 2005 when Rossi was in his second year on the M1. nothing like 100,000 screaming Italians to give the atmosphere huh ?
    I find I'm fast forwarding the races sometimes and never bother with Practice and Qual.
    I met a lot of likewise travellers and a lot of new mates and had a ball.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	424020_301015349965516_102855529781500_749186_581481937_n.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	350132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6010083_01.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	855.1 KB 
ID:	350133

Stationary engines amongest the crowds, and long legged ladies , my memories !!!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I must admit to losing interest when they stopped using racebikes circa 2002, but I've regained interest in last 6 odd years as it's a social event with the lads of a Tuesday night on delay.

Went to Philip Island 6 years from 96 and it was wild in Cowes with people pulling naked wheelies up the main St Hill and worse.

Nothing makes you tingly like a 500 on song. The Diesels were tame by comparison.

But Rossi always has presence. These teenieboppers (remember them?) Were squealing Rossiiii!! Every time he went past on his 125. So we started squealing the same thing to take the piss. They weren't impressed. But they knew who he was before we did. Guess that makes us the hangers on and them the true fans.

Loved the trade shows. And pictures of me with the Malboro girls. There was like 20 of them. I was wearing a particularly silly hat so got to pose with them.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I find I'm fast forwarding the races sometimes and never bother with Practice and Qual.
    Some rounds I find the Qualifying a better contest than the race.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Nowt any more
    I recall 'The Boys' (Jared Gillard and crew) recounting their first trip to PI (must have been pre 1993 as I joined them at Eastern Creek that year) and turning up to see the bikes going round for practice and remarking, Fuck those 500s are fast!! Only to find out as the day wore on, they were the 125's! LOL.

As for getting the tingle from the sound of 500s, I will contribute that the GP at Philip Island is probably the worst one of all to go to as a spectator. It's one thing to ride that circuit, it's another to stand in the southerly and the rain, a million miles from the bikes and not see all that much, not have so much noise and not have the big show in the paddock.

I have been lucky enough to be in the pit-lane at Estoril, Donnington Park and PI during the 800cc 4T era (actually it was 1996, so still the 990cc era, but the British 800cc bike was running there at Estoril, what was it called? McCoy on board?). I can tell you, when those fucking things went full tit down the straight at Estoril, between the grandstand and the pit complex, you didn't just get a tingle!! Your whole body shook. Made the 500's sound like kids toys by comparison.

Oh, not to mention holding up the Ducati of Capirossi, while it was running, and the mechanic wandered off into the garage to fetch something. Oh yeah! Right place, right time.

Still, the 250GP bike is by far still the best motorcycle ever made (by all brands). I have had a few, still wish I had one.

But the big show is in the paddock at the European rounds and is worth the entry fee alone. The people, the riders, the teams and most of all the hospitalities and facilities. OMG! Just seeing the Ducati three trailer hospo go together was something else. Having a one on one consult with the Dainese factory guys, etc etc. The team my mate was in (Campetella Racing Team) had a very modest hospo by comparison, but it was cool to hang out there.

And at Estroil, the rear of the paddock is so close to the track you can almost reach out and touch the bikes as they go past. Now that is close!!

Ah, memories.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Just had a look at the short video on MotoGP.com of the Jerez test. I am not one to talk, to be fair, but man, Bradl is looking pretty podgy in his leathers.
    I am guessing that Pol won't be riding at the test, or if so, he will be pretty sore.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    Just had a look at the short video on MotoGP.com of the Jerez test. I am not one to talk, to be fair, but man, Bradl is looking pretty podgy in his leathers.
    I am guessing that Pol won't be riding at the test, or if so, he will be pretty sore.
    I heard Honda were dropping the term "rider" for 22 and are replacing it with "airbags"

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    He put in 45 laps on the current bike and is going to test the 2022 today, he's still in pain with his wrists and ribs he said.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I heard Honda were dropping the term "rider" for 22 and are replacing it with "airbags"
    In a recent MotoGP communication the riders were referred to as 'drivers'. I guess we can cut them some slack, their English is likely way better than our Spanish.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    I hope this isn't the end of MM that eye doesn't sound to good

News14 minutes ago
    By motogp.com

Puig on Marquez: "Checks at Christmas, decisions to follow"
    The Repsol Honda Team manager has offered the latest update on the eight-time World Champion, as he continues to recover from diplopia
    Tags MotoGP, 2022, JEREZ MOTOGP™ OFFICIAL TEST, Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team
    Repsol Honda Team boss Alberto Puig has offered the latest update on Marc Marquez's recovery from diplopia. Speaking at the Jerez Test, the Spaniard stated that the eight-time World Champion will undergo further scans and tests on the lead-up to Christmas, with HRC and Marquez set to make decisions for the future once the findings of those latest checks become clear.

Marquez missed the final two rounds of the 2021 World Championship, plus the ongoing Jerez Test, following an off-road training accident in the build-up to the Algarve Grand Prix. It was later announced that the 28-year-old was suffering from double vision, known as diplopia, in a repeat of the injury he suffered at the end of 2011.

"The important thing is how he is," started Puig. "And he is more or less the same as we explained [in Portimao and Valencia]. He needs some time to rest, recover and see if all this area around the eye is getting less swollen, coming down and becoming calmer. Then we will see.

"Around Christmas time we will have another check with the doctor and we will see what the situation is. Then we will probably make decisions on what the possibilities are. Of course, he's not happy about not being here [at the Jerez Test]. At the same time, he understands that what he needs now is to be resting and to be patient, and this is the situation."

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...D_roOuZiexko7e
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    I hope this isn't the end of MM that eye doesn't sound to good

News14 minutes ago
    By motogp.com

Puig on Marquez: "Checks at Christmas, decisions to follow"
    The Repsol Honda Team manager has offered the latest update on the eight-time World Champion, as he continues to recover from diplopia
    Tags MotoGP, 2022, JEREZ MOTOGP™ OFFICIAL TEST, Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team
    Repsol Honda Team boss Alberto Puig has offered the latest update on Marc Marquez's recovery from diplopia. Speaking at the Jerez Test, the Spaniard stated that the eight-time World Champion will undergo further scans and tests on the lead-up to Christmas, with HRC and Marquez set to make decisions for the future once the findings of those latest checks become clear.

Marquez missed the final two rounds of the 2021 World Championship, plus the ongoing Jerez Test, following an off-road training accident in the build-up to the Algarve Grand Prix. It was later announced that the 28-year-old was suffering from double vision, known as diplopia, in a repeat of the injury he suffered at the end of 2011.

"The important thing is how he is," started Puig. "And he is more or less the same as we explained [in Portimao and Valencia]. He needs some time to rest, recover and see if all this area around the eye is getting less swollen, coming down and becoming calmer. Then we will see.

"Around Christmas time we will have another check with the doctor and we will see what the situation is. Then we will probably make decisions on what the possibilities are. Of course, he's not happy about not being here [at the Jerez Test]. At the same time, he understands that what he needs now is to be resting and to be patient, and this is the situation."

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...D_roOuZiexko7e
    That's not good. The boy should have enough cash to retire now. Even if this bout of double vision corrects itself. a third affliction might be permanent. Take the money and run.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Not MotoGP....but anyway well done Toprak for taking out the 2021 WSBK title this arvo with a race to spare.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Not MotoGP....but anyway well done Toprak for taking out the 2021 WSBK title this arvo with a race to spare.
    100%

Now Rea is whinging in the press. He's not the best loser that guy tbh, awesome rider but he got beat fair n square

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Bike
    ES XTZ
    On MotoGP site they have collaborated with Amazon Prime for a docuseries , looks like a Netflix formula 1 type thing.

Thread Information