Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you wear ear plugs?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    That sounds like a business opportunity to me.
    The silicone I use is pink....now I need a paying volunteer who can lie on their side for 30 mins at a time.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    I mould and cast resin 1/32 scale(hence my user name) slotcar bodies...and use Barnes products.
    I dont think I would pour any of that silicone into my ear. It can take 20-40 minutes to go off but more concerning would be where does it stop?....my head is a bit empty.

I wasnt having much success with the cheap foam plugs but a mate gave some advice about fitting them. I had a look at the ones I had and was surprised to see a hole in the fat end...Using a blunt end of a toothpick, some spit, and a lift to the ear from over the head I was able to push them in, let them expand and then went for a test ride. They stayed in place and gave some quieting effect.
    Attachment 347840

The helmet got some attention to the left side pivot/hinge and the pig squealing when I looked to the right was quieter, quiet enough to contemplate a longer ride...A previous poster mentioned a similar left side problem so now I am thinking of a replacement helmet.
    Anyone got a suggestion for a mid priced fullface helmet(not flip up modular) that they like?
    Also nothing with excessive graphics. Thanks in advance.
    Slotcar bodies?!??
    Are they still a thing? I found a couple of my Scaletrix in the attic in the weekend getting decorations down for my Christmas obsessed wife.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Slotcar bodies?!??
    Are they still a thing?
    Yes, there was a boom around the 2000s with the internet playing a big part and it continues today.
    Many new brands from Europe. If you are keen search for Slotit, NSR, Scale Auto, Thunderslot, Carrera and of course Scalextric.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Dropped in to VTNZ for a "warrant of stiffness" today,short hop to home so didn't put the Bungs in!!!
    Man what a bloody racket !!!

(I'm reminded why I wear them every time on the bike !).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yes

The wind noise at 100kph is sufficient to give you permanent sustained hearing loss. You also won't really notice until its way too late, and you can't get it back.
    Exactly what happened to me. I have about $4k worth of hearing aids now.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Yeah. Wind noise screwed me. Noisy helmet ... didn't realise until after I'd bought it. It wasn't until I'd done a ride from Christchurch to Temuka (Timaru) and I struggled to hear conversation clearly for a while that I realised something was up. The rest of that trip involved going up the West Coast starting at Queenstown so 1000+kms damaging myself without really realisiing.
    When the penny dropped, I did start using ear plugs ... nothing fancy though, just the foam disposables from Bunnings. that made a difference but of course once it's damaged, it doesn't come back. I probably wore them for about 8 years? I stopped using them when I sold my 600. I still ride (of course!) but it's only on a CT110 for DX Mail so I don't go that fast and I've got a good quiet helmet.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    I have been riding every dry day(new bike) and using the foam plugs with moderate success.
    I bought a Bell qualifier helmet which unknowing to me was a noisy thing with a badly sealing visor on the left side.
    So after searching and reading reviews(just like the Mrs told me to do) I coughed up for another helmet LS2 Vector (she doesnt know that bit) which was about twice the price of the Bell qualifier...much better noise levels. The visor closes tight on the LS2, the air noise is there but no where near as bad as the squealing pig that I listened to previously...happy rider now.

And I will continue to use ear plugs.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    I have been riding every dry day(new bike) and using the foam plugs with moderate success.
    I bought a Bell qualifier helmet which unknowing to me was a noisy thing with a badly sealing visor on the left side.
    So after searching and reading reviews(just like the Mrs told me to do) I coughed up for another helmet LS2 Vector (she doesnt know that bit) which was about twice the price of the Bell qualifier...much better noise levels. The visor closes tight on the LS2, the air noise is there but no where near as bad as the squealing pig that I listened to previously...happy rider now.

And I will continue to use ear plugs.
    Keep the ear plugs in when the wife finds out about the new helmet... Ear plugs come handy in many situations.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Or when you go on a road trip with the lads. Someone always ends up sounds like a chainsaw 1/2 underwater
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    MT10SP
    Good recommendations here, I just received my pacific ears pro27’s and did my 1st ride.... wow!

I’m new to riding 6 months ish, gt air2 with sena set up, stock tracer 700. I was initially surprised how much wind noise there is but have nothing to compare to & after a 2 hour ride my ears were ringing.

As a stop gap I used foam plugs which improved things but are a pain to keep in.

The process is really simple order them and pay online, they emailed fast to let me choose my nearest audiologist (bay audiology) I went for the moulds but had too much wax so if you’re getting some just get your ears cleaned 1st to save two trips.

Got the moulds which is 15mins and painless-no extra charge.

I popped them in today rode 2-3 hours and no ringing, I could hear my music clearly and my very quiet engine but couldn’t hear any road or wind noise. So I’d recommend them.

They’re silicone with a small canal and the noise filter you choose for those that haven’t seen a set.

Just for an idea of how they are ...the kettle was boiling (one of those loud annoying kettles) I popped them in and couldn’t hear it anymore but could talk at normal volume.
    Same on the bike even with the visor defogger vent open at 100ish Kph there was no wind noise at all!!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Good recommendations here, I just received my pacific ears pro27’s and did my 1st ride.... wow!

I’m new to riding 6 months ish, gt air2 with sena set up, stock tracer 700. I was initially surprised how much wind noise there is but have nothing to compare to & after a 2 hour ride my ears were ringing.

As a stop gap I used foam plugs which improved things but are a pain to keep in.

The process is really simple order them and pay online, they emailed fast to let me choose my nearest audiologist (bay audiology) I went for the moulds but had too much wax so if you’re getting some just get your ears cleaned 1st to save two trips.

Got the moulds which is 15mins and painless-no extra charge.

I popped them in today rode 2-3 hours and no ringing, I could hear my music clearly and my very quiet engine but couldn’t hear any road or wind noise. So I’d recommend them.

They’re silicone with a small canal and the noise filter you choose for those that haven’t seen a set.

Just for an idea of how they are ...the kettle was boiling (one of those loud annoying kettles) I popped them in and couldn’t hear it anymore but could talk at normal volume.
    Same on the bike even with the visor defogger vent open at 100ish Kph there was no wind noise at all!!
    Good to hear that the custom plugs work well for you. If you had a build up of wax that could explain your difficulties with foam plugs.

Bike
    MT10SP
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Good to hear that the custom plugs work well for you. If you had a build up of wax that could explain your difficulties with foam plugs.
    Yeah I’m not sure.... mostly the helmet pulling on the lanyard I think, I do have a lanyard (string) on the plugs but they don’t fall out🤷*♂️ Time will tell but at least in theory I can’t only loose one

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    I recently got a pair of pro 27's too, I've had plugz4lugz, ear jobs and a bunch of other types but these things are on another level. I wish I'd bought them years ago. I've been recommending them to anyone that's not already too deaf to listen.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by bert_is_evil View Post
    I recently got a pair of pro 27's too, I've had plugz4lugz, ear jobs and a bunch of other types but these things are on another level. I wish I'd bought them years ago. I've been recommending them to anyone that's not already too deaf to listen.
    Me too - love them. Pity, I lost the case, so need to get another one.

Bike
    XT660r
    Pro 27, bloody awesome, have the Pro Impulse for shooting and chainsaw work, they are great for sudden loud noises but not a touch on the Pro27 for wind noise
    Dale Kerrigan: If there's anything Dad loved more than serenity, it was a big two stroke engine on full throttle!

Thread Information