Thread: Chopper build advice

Bike
    Harley Davidson Sportster 1200cc

Chopper build advice

Hi everyone, first post on this site.
    I'm currently building a chopper from my 2000 harley davidson sportster,using a weld on hardtail kit.This means I keep the front half of the frame and my factory vin number on the neck of the frame.
    I'm looking for some advice about getting the bike certified,do I only need the frame work inspected and keep my current registration or do I need to fully re vin the bike once it's complete.
    Any information on the process of making my dream bike legal would be awesome.
    Thanks

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Before you even start, find the certifier you might be able to use. There aren't many, I was lucky and found one local to me but he is gone. You might have to try hotrod club and see if he will do bikes.

He will (hopefully grant you an LVV plate about the size of your hand stretched out. I put mine under the seat, but you will have a unique problem with this as you will have an elaborate sprung seat I guess. Maybe if there is a sidecover to put it under?

Presumably you aren't intending to ride this thing far. I remember my grandad telling me how his Indian wrecked his back. If it's just for fashion you'll be wanting another bike to ride.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    I've done most of the building already just not sure when and what exactly I need to have inspected. I suppose I should just make contact with the nearest certifier and ask them.
    If there's anyone with any experience doing something similar would be good to hear how you went about it

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    You will need a certifier for class 2A or 2B , your nearest is probably Grant Rivers in Wanganui
    https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/s...st-Website.pdf
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Thanks pete

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miklagraad View Post
    Hi everyone, first post on this site.
    I'm currently building a chopper from my 2000 harley davidson sportster,using a weld on hardtail kit.This means I keep the front half of the frame and my factory vin number on the neck of the frame.
    I'm looking for some advice about getting the bike certified,do I only need the frame work inspected and keep my current registration or do I need to fully re vin the bike once it's complete.
    Any information on the process of making my dream bike legal would be awesome.
    Thanks
    For a start ... any cutting and/or welding needs to be certified (or done) by a qualified Engineer. (I recommend the latter, and get the paperwork from him/her)

Re-Vin's usually takes place after a vehicle's rego has expired. For a currently registered vehicle .... it shouldn't be required.

There is no issue (as far as I know) about bolt on hard-tail kits.

If the only modification is to move to it being a Hard-tail ... I can't see any big issues.

Building one from scratch ... well ... that's an entirely different ballgame.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    For a start ... any cutting and/or welding needs to be certified (or done) by a qualified Engineer. (I recommend the latter, and get the paperwork from him/her)

Re-Vin's usually takes place after a vehicle's rego has expired. For a currently registered vehicle .... it shouldn't be required.

There is no issue (as far as I know) about bolt on hard-tail kits.

If the only modification is to move to it being a Hard-tail ... I can't see any big issues.

Building one from scratch ... well ... that's an entirely different ballgame.
    So would I need to have the frame inspected as a rolling chassis before paint ect?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    So would I need to have the frame inspected as a rolling chassis before paint ect?

Yeah especially if they decide to xray welds.

Bike
    suzuki
    been there done that, it's entirely up to the certifier, comments on here might help but could just as easily lead you up the garden park.....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    you need to stop asking questions on here, and go ask the bloke youre going to ask to certify it.

The certifiers word is law, anyones opinion on here is just that, opinion.

Bike
    Two wheeler
    I used Chris Knibbs to certify my old chop when i bought it over from the UK. He's based in Te Puke, is a top bloke who knows his stuff, so the trip was well worth it. Good luck with the chop - it's looking good

Thread Information