Thread: Is there such a thing as quiet helmets?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016

Is there such a thing as quiet helmets?

Having recently got back on a bike I needed to gear up as economically as I could.
    I bought a Bell qualifier helmet from TM $200

On recent rides the wind noise seems to have got worse and on inspection the left visor mount/clip/swivel doesnt seem right.
    After some pushing, cussing, jiggling there was a click and the visor seemed to move into a better position...yet to test though.

This made me wonder if some helmets are quieter than others?

This Bell helmet and the pig squeal when I look to the right at speed is no fun.

Any suggestions or advice?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    your other thread about ear plugs will do more for you than anything else.

There are definitely quieter helmets than others. As a rule of thumb the style of helmet and the $$ value of the helmet can be useful indicators of quietness.
    So an expensive road helmet is more likely to be quiet but not guaranteed, while an expensive motoX helmet will almost certainly NOT be quiet because the priority of that design tends to encouraging airflow, not diminishing it.

you also have to account for the combination of your helmet, your ride position and your bike. I have a Shoei Neotech, its a modular so arguably noisier than a full face like yours but the fit is very neat around the neck roll and the visor seal is very good so it might be quieter, but if I ride a naked rather than my own bike which has a screen, its noisier. If I adjust my screen incorrectly I get more noise.

Get good ear plugs
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Watch YouTube vid of how to change visor on your helmet
    Sounds like it wasn't seated.

Bell used to run an add : if you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. That was back decades ago when they were a premium brand. Don't think that's been the case for a while.

Never buy a 2nd hand helmet. Check Sharp tests online for safety rating. In last several years I've had several mid to high end of range HJCs and they've been fine. Current Shoei NXR is good.
    Every manufacturer has budget range and up from there.

Wear earplugs of course.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    Having recently got back on a bike I needed to gear up as economically as I could.
    I bought a Bell qualifier helmet from TM $200

On recent rides the wind noise seems to have got worse and on inspection the left visor mount/clip/swivel doesnt seem right.
    After some pushing, cussing, jiggling there was a click and the visor seemed to move into a better position...yet to test though.

This made me wonder if some helmets are quieter than others?

This Bell helmet and the pig squeal when I look to the right at speed is no fun.

Any suggestions or advice?
    I to had the same Issue on a new Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS Illusion Helmet for the race bike.
    Reseated the visor a sides which improved it but not as quiet as my Shark Absolute.
    I think this maybe an Issue with these??
    I do love the $200 dollar Transitions visor on it tho bloody great.
    I have been using Shark RSR2 for the last few years so maybe the transition down is effecting my like of the helmet.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I had the same issue with my Shoei raid 2 and amy bmw r 100 gs...i coulndt solve it adjusted visor may times,took of screen addjusted screen every way,ear plugs,moulded area pluds,whisper kit for the helmet,..it all helped but it was still very very noisy,much noiser than i remembered...gave up ,sold bike

Thread Information