Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Hornet fuel economy

Bike
    Honda hornet CB600f

2011 Hornet fuel economy

Hi guys ,

Just bought myself my first full power bike, a 2011 Honda Cb600f Hornet. Love the thing, lots a fun!
    I have one issue with it, I'm only getting just over 200km from a full tank before the gauge starts flashing, I just want to know if this is normal.
    Apparently it has a 19 litre tank inclusive of the reserve.
    (Also, sorry I'm new)

Cheers in advance for the help!

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    From memory, on the Hayabusa - I was getting about 250 Km from a 21 litre tank, on 96 fuel with mostly Motorway riding (including lots of filtering)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Generally fuel economy hasn't featured too high on motorcycle manufacturers priority lists for many years. Your 2011 model Hornet won't be any exception to this as getting them through ever-tightening noise and emissions tests often gives them more cause for concern.

This means that bikes are often heavier on the go-go juice than you might expect.

I normally keep tabs on my bikes' fuel economy - As much for interest as anything else though if the figures worsen then it's often a good indicator of something being amiss. With my normal style of riding I'd be expecting to get anywhere between 16-19/20 Km/litre from a bike such as yours.

This presupposes that all other things are equal (Tyres are in good repair and at the recommended pressures, Chassis components are in good shape and the engine itself is running cleanly).

By way of comparison my liquid cooled Bandit 650 could give me 20-21 km/litre on the open road when I was behaving myself.

It'll be worth you making a note of your mileage versus your distance over the next few tanks to see just what you are achieving and then go from there.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by elad3000 View Post
    I'm only getting just over 200km from a full tank before the gauge starts flashing, I just want to know if this is normal.
    I fill my GSXR750 to the brim and expect the fuel light to flash any time soon after I hit 190km in commuter mode.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    From memory, on the Hayabusa - I was getting about 250 Km from a 21 litre tank, on 96 fuel with mostly Motorway riding (including lots of filtering)
    Managed 330 km's on my Gen2 Hayabusa. Must say add the low fuel light had been glowing for over 80 km's. Central Otago at night. Filled up at Queenstown. The Hayabusa may be a fast bike but, not in the dark. The Headlight strength is rubbish. Just like the pip squeak horn. I'll keep it though...

Bike
    Honda hornet CB600f
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'll be keeping tabs on how many K's I get out of a tank and make sure it remains more or less the same. Just relieved it isn't an issue, just an inconvenience.

I guess, it is just a 'fast' commuter and not a tourer!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    From memory my Hornet 918 used to do 17ks per litre, it too had a 19l tank. That'd be about 323k but I'd have got pissed off looking at the fuel light before that. As has been suggested, check your usage and you'll know how far you can go without finishing with a walk.

Most bikes had similar fuel mileage until recently. In recent years some manufacturers have introduced models with better fuel consuption figures, but most would be since 2011.

Oh, and those Hornet 600s were highly regarded in Brit road tests, Enjoy.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'll be keeping tabs on how many K's I get out of a tank and make sure it remains more or less the same. Just relieved it isn't an issue, just an inconvenience.

Im impressed youre getting 200k.

the bloke I know with one is lucky to get 160. small tank, plus not great economy

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    As soon as the fuel light comes on fill it up right to the top taking care to get last bit in. Then you can calculate how big your reserve is. My RF9 was 83km which was silly (I took a Jerry can on the back to really test it out). It had a manual fuel tap. Your bike won't. But the light turned on about 60km before that?!

So the nervous would stop regularly while transporting 7 litres of gas around for a free ride they would never use.

I pulled the fuel sender out and resoldered it 3cm lower. And cut the reserve tube in half.

There's not a bike that won't do 50km on fuel light. Work out how many km you've done (always reset trip meter) and how many litres you put in. Simple biker math will tell you km/litre and how much you have left, this how far you can travel when light goes on.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Being a Honda, it will have a large reserve, so 200km to reserve, you need to check how many litres that is.
    My CB919, older with a thirstier engine, is 240-260km to reserve, also a 18-19L ish tank.

My Tuono at worst got 155km before reserve, seriously impractical.
    My KTM 1090R hit 0 range and I did another 30km before getting to a town, reckon I had ~7km before I was pushing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hi guys ,

Just bought myself my first full power bike, a 2011 Honda Cb600f Hornet. Love the thing, lots a fun!
    I have one issue with it, I'm only getting just over 200km from a full tank before the gauge starts flashing, I just want to know if this is normal.
    Apparently it has a 19 litre tank inclusive of the reserve.
    (Also, sorry I'm new)

Cheers in advance for the help!
    The specs I found. 19 Litre tank of which probably 5 litres will be reserve.

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb600f_2011.php

100.6 HP (73.4 kW)) @ 12000 RPM

The quoted power is more than some older motorcycles with larger capacities than 600cc.

Perhaps ... increased horsepower means increased fuel consumption.

Go figure ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies!

It's a tourer. The Hornets were regarded as having a good tank range, yours should do about 350Ks if the bike is in good order - and if you fill the tank right up. Allthough personally I wouldn't be able to ignore the fuel light that long.

There are some trips might pose a problem for your bike, Cape Reinga possibly, Milford definitely, but that's the same for most bikes. Figure out the mileage first because once you've done that a few times after various types of riding you'll know how far you can go.

One other thing. I recall a comparison road test of the then current crop of Japanese 750s. (It may have been BIKE magazine.) At the end of the test they said they also had a Hornet available, it hadn't been included in the test because it wasn't a 750, but it was a better bike than any of the 750s in the test.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It's a tourer. The Hornets were regarded as having a good tank range, yours should do about 350Ks if the bike is in good order - and if you fill the tank right up.
    Dirty plugs and air filter wont help either.

Most fuel issues are the result are to do with how the throttle is used.

It never ceases to amaze me ... how much the fuel consumption improves when the fuel light comes on ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I once rode my GSX-R600 (17l tank) for ages with the fuel light on. Refilled it and it took just over 17 litres...must have been running on imaginary gas towards the end.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Most modern bikes with fuel injection seem to have a fuel pump buried in the tank.
    My understanding is that the pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel in which it immersed.
    So......... what are the dangers of running the bike out of fuel or even very low?

My old (VR) Holden had this setup but the pump pickup must have been over on the right hand side of the tank because even with a bit more than 1/4 of a tank on board, if I parked on the side of a street with a fair bit of camber (e.g. Great South Road in Papakura township) the pump was dry and could not function.
    A couple of episodes of this and the pump died.
    Hence the question above vs suggestions of running the tank right down.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Thread Information