Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floating disc excessive free play?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Way back when I worked on cars, VH Valiants were prone to warping their ventilated front rotors, resulting in a pulsing pedal. The fix was to have them skimmed and they would never be a problem again. Never replaced any on vehicles of that era. Maybe the iron is softer now.
    The ritual for the cast iron rotors in the early 80'sGp bikes was to use them then by hand spend hours rubbing down the high spots that appeared before using them in anger something to do with the grade of cast iron that they used?

i wonder if it was for the same reason.
    Modern brakes don't tend to fade like the old ones maybe its just the pads being sintered metal and ceramic rather than asbestos and organic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe View Post
    This doesn't seem right.
    It's not. Had exactly the same condition to one of the front OEM Sunstar rotors on my 05 Speed Triple. Flogged out the carrier, however the other rotor was perfect? Still have those rotors somewhere floating about.

I figured at the time there may have been a bad batch of alloy to make the carriers?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Modern brakes don't tend to fade like the old ones maybe its just the pads being sintered metal and ceramic rather than asbestos and organic.
    That's true but some modern rotors warp! The front rotors on my Duke 790 did that. The problem surfaced quite quickly from new. They were ok at open road speeds but extremely snatchy at low speeds. I took some readings with a magnetic base DTI, photographed the markings on the discs and then visited Boyds in Hamilton where I bought it from. They supported a warranty claim and new ones were supplied by KTM. Now better than they've ever been. Fitting EBC HH pads made a big difference too.

Thread Information