Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luggage options for camping and commuting

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Nice they have a very affordable 70L duffle roll top. Simple. And cheap enough to be the wrong decision and not be a regret.

Will need to figure out a way to carry it empty. So it doesn’t flap too Much in the wind

Maybe I’ll get a smallish hard box that could be bolted to the back semi-permanently and a smaller roll top duffle that can strap on top when I know I’ll need more capacity.. hmm.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I'm seeing some ADV bikes with smallish panniers attaching to their engine crash bars (Royal Enfield Himalayan etc), would this be an option?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I see a lot of people using these kinds of cases overseas (bolting them on).

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/craftrigh...175mm_p5810252

I bought some Rok straps about 10 years ago, I'm still using them on a weekly basis so they were a great investment for me.

i've strapped a tent and a camp chair (wrapped in an elastic luggage net and tarp which makes them mostly waterproof) vertically either side of the passenger seat using the pillion pegs as a base, but then I have panniers as well so the racks added some extra support. Probably a bit dodgy without.

Which reminds me the small motorcycle cargo nets are great too (30cm ones, they do a 38cm also that I found was too loose for my needs).
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Thanks. I got a cheap enough roll top duffle bag (from trademe) on the way.

I think I’ll go the bolting a case to the back route as a “trunk” and then use straps to tie down the bag when I plan on getting a few things from town. Didn’t realize the bunnings ones were so affordable.

Might get a Ventura rack as well to make things more secure. There’s a good price for one that fits my bike on trademe (amazing how many sellers have no idea what model theirs is!) second hand. Will probably have to buy the actual L brackets new which will be expensive.

But I broke my leg the other day (workplace injury, not on the motorbike), so plenty of tome to scour trademe for deals before I’ll even be riding again!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I've got a KLR so has a fairly decent rack as standard. Rather than bolting the case on I use a shortened ratchet strap hooking under the rack each side. The case has four short locating pegs, that fit into holes in the rack, to stop it sliding and the strap holds it down. Easy to remove the case but quite secure on the road.
    The case I have is a Pelican (because it was free) previously tried the Craftech ones. There really is bugger-all difference between the Bunnings (and Jaycar) cases and the expensive Pelicans.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I've got a KLR so has a fairly decent rack as standard. Rather than bolting the case on I use a shortened ratchet strap hooking under the rack each side. The case has four short locating pegs, that fit into holes in the rack, to stop it sliding and the strap holds it down. Easy to remove the case but quite secure on the road.
    The case I have is a Pelican (because it was free) previously tried the Craftech ones. There really is bugger-all difference between the Bunnings (and Jaycar) cases and the expensive Pelicans.
    Sounds like a good set up. Not sure I’d need the box to be removable. The duffle would fulfil that part. And there are already bolts there (previous owner put a little leather tool bag on the back with plate), so not doing anything new to the bike. But could be worth looking for a box that has something on the underside to run ratchet straps through anyway.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

guarding bodywork against luggage

Quick question for everyone: if I'm tying luggage on and straps etc cross fairing panels, has anyone had any luck keeping the bodywork looking good by using masking tape or similar? TIA.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    That sounds a bit Mickey Mouse. Sign shops have clear plastic in several thicknesses show them where you think the straps may touch the fairing and they will cut the plastic and fit it. Yeah it costs, but they should do a good job. My last couple of bikes have had that stuff on the back of the tank where a zip could cause problems and on the side panels where the luggage straps could touch.

I'm not sure if that would work if the contact with the straps was permanent, I have the thickest plastic on the side panels and it's there to protect against accidental contact, which has happened because the plastic is marked but the paint is good.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That sounds a bit Mickey Mouse. Sign shops have clear plastic in several thicknesses show them where you think the straps may touch the fairing and they will cut the plastic and fit it. Yeah it costs, but they should do a good job. My last couple of bikes have had that stuff on the back of the tank where a zip could cause problems and on the side panels where the luggage straps could touch.

I'm not sure if that would work if the contact with the straps was permanent, I have the thickest plastic on the side panels and it's there to protect against accidental contact, which has happened because the plastic is marked but the paint is good.
    Thanks, that's good info. Contact with the straps will be permanent, there'll be pressure full time and I'm expecting to be riding for most of the day / several days in a row. My other option was to attempt to fabricate a couple of short brackets as attachment points to lift the straps off the fairing panels but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Quick question for everyone: if I'm tying luggage on and straps etc cross fairing panels, has anyone had any luck keeping the bodywork looking good by using masking tape or similar? TIA.
    On previous bikes where I've had this problem my solution was two-fold.
    1. Apply a clear 3M type film to protect the surface from scuffing or rubbing.
    2. In the case of soft throwover panniers I've put a non-slip type liner between seat and panniers, also helps to stop the buggers moving as much.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    On previous bikes where I've had this problem my solution was two-fold.
    1. Apply a clear 3M type film to protect the surface from scuffing or rubbing.
    2. In the case of soft throwover panniers I've put a non-slip type liner between seat and panniers, also helps to stop the buggers moving as much.
    Yeah most bike shops carry clear film to protect from scuffing and slip resistant rubber sheet from the likes of Para Rubber outlets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000230.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	348168  

Thread Information