Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luggage options for camping and commuting

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016

Luggage options for camping and commuting

Hi all, I just got my first motorbike and am enjoying the freedom a lot.

It's a Yamaha xt250.

I'm now on the hunt for a simple luggage set up. I started reading about different set ups last night and was a little overwhelmed by the endless options (and potential for spending outrageous money).

Can anyone advise me on a direction here?

What I need is something to carry a good amount of *stuff* as I don't have a car, live rurally and it's about a 40min drive to get groceries or anything from the hardware store.

I'd like it to be a relatively simple (cheapish) set up.

Top boxes look a bit naff to me, though the ability to lock my helmet on the bike is quite appealing when walking around town...

Any tips?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Milk crate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	348064  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Options for an XT250 might be limited. Certainly the more expensive options are unlikely to be suitable. If there's a high level exhaust that could interfere with a throw over bag set up.

My first luggage option was a back pack, not too big. If you put a top box on and fill it up you could upset the balance of the bike. You really want to keep as much weight between the wheels as possible. Ventura list a rack for one model of XT250. If you fit a Ventura rack, put the pack on back to front so that it sits on the pillion seat. It's that centralised weight thing again. IIRC that's actually in the instructions that come with the rack.

A tank bag might be an option - if you can find one that will work with your tank. Later you might add a modest size Kriega tail pack which would have the advantage that you should be able to use it with your next bike. And the one after that.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Interesting that you say that the Top Box would mess with balance given how common they are (and relatively centered). Do most sit up and behind the back wheel?

Re: Ventura rack. I thought about getting one and using rok straps to strap my backpack or duffle bag to it, but I also thought since I don’t use the pillon seat, maybe I could just be strapping things in that position and skip the $350 rack? Does it do much other than give you more places to tie something down to?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutegator View Post
    Interesting that you say that the Top Box would mess with balance given how common they are (and relatively centered). Do most sit up and behind the back wheel?

Re: Ventura rack. I thought about getting one and using rok straps to strap my backpack or duffle bag to it, but I also thought since I don’t use the pillon seat, maybe I could just be strapping things in that position and skip the $350 rack? Does it do much other than give you more places to tie something down to?
    The XT is a very light bike relatively speaking. A top box on a Goldwing is one thing, it could completely upset the 250. The Ventura rack and a specially designed pack would be better. The pack doesn’t need to be Ventura brand, there are options. I think mine was R Jays.

To start with though, a pillion seat mounted bag would be fine. Camping might be a push with sleeping bag, tent, mattress etc etc. If you used cabins such as those at Top Ten parks though, you’d just need a sleeping bag. You will necessarily be travelling light.

Damn! Is it wine o’ clock already?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The XT is a very light bike relatively speaking. A top box on a Goldwing is one thing, it could completely upset the 250. The Ventura rack and a specially designed pack would be better. The pack doesn’t need to be Ventura brand, there are options. I think mine was R Jays.

To start with though, a pillion seat mounted bag would be fine. Camping might be a push with sleeping bag, tent, mattress etc etc. If you used cabins such as those at Top Ten parks though, you’d just need a sleeping bag. You will necessarily be travelling light.

Damn! Is it wine o’ clock already?
    Gotcha, so basically a rack and specifically designed bag will just attached (and therefore balance) better?

Yeah it's definitely a lightweight bike.

Any suggestions on good straps to tie stuff down with? Rok straps seem popular but pricey.

I did a 6 month bicycle ride last year and hitchhiked a lot over the last 5 or so before that so I'm quite used to travelling light, so camping will be all good. It's more when I head down to get groceries and stuff at the hardwear store I need a bit more bulky storage!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    If you can reverse it over the back seat it will be fine. If it hangs over the back wheel it will be worse than dreadful.

Jezzuz. 6 months? Rich parents?
    Post pictures of the gurlz you met.

Oh right. Smelly traveller.

Post pictures of the epic puncture repairs.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Nah, young enough to be able to quit a low paying job and be relatively comfortable living on $5/day. Used a bike from the recycling centre I picked up for €100 or so (was living in Ireland then).

No pictures, but when I discovered my patches and glue had fused together and spare tube perished by sun and sand on quiet road heading into west sahara, a trucker stopped to help, and eventually returned with a wrecked soccer ball he'd found somewhere and a tube of super glue. Held for another 200km or so until I came to a shop.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So no tits?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So no tits?
    Jesus. Wairoa?
    Well hard. Nice area but fuk me.

Spent night in motel with bike locked to Post 400mm from my head. Wasnt particularly welcomed there.

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Been here a few months. The town seems like it’s being gentrified, surprising population of rich retirees.

It has it’s rough edges but I’ve found it a friendlier town than areas in Wellington, Auckland and even Nelson I lived in. As with anywhere, the way you preconceive people affects your experience a lot.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok so my experience has been fleeting and quite a bit out of date.

And go you. I moved to the hutt when it was shit. But things change. Be real. Tell everyone to fuk off with their preconceptions.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Except me of course because I'm beautiful.

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    https://www.thirdgear.com.au/

these guys were on trademe, cheap reasonable, ive used their stuff on dirt bikes.

Thread Information