Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Random thoughts on luggage

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Interesting topic this one. I do like hard luggage, especially good OEM stuff such as the BMW kit as well as the panniers I had on my Sprint GT. :
    Best BMW cases I've had were the expandable side cases on my F800ST. Same as the ones on the K1200S. Sort of soft cases with an exoskeleton.

BMW always seems to have functional attacments too. And when you take the luggage off, the fixings don't look goofy.

Just really expensive. You need to buy a bike with luggage included. Buying it separately is false economy.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...7?bof=dpBucpCc

Like this one, which I keep lusting after.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that kinda limits you to a certain style of bike and some people want something that won't bore them to sleep.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Like this one, which I keep lusting after.
    Yeah I can see why you like that.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSXR1000K7,GSXR1100K.

+1 for the Ventura pack and rack

Quote Originally Posted by Batcerb View Post
    Bit late, but anyway

Luggage is very much down to personal preference as opposed to what is ‘the best setup’.

In my early days of riding, a seriously overloaded K2 backpack was used for trips up and down the country. I would be stopping every hour just from the discomfort but that’s just how it was.

I look at someone riding with a pack now and I feel their pain straight away.

Since then I’ve always just fitted a Ventura rack to every bike I’ve owned, paired with a tardis like RJs bag and tank bag, it is pretty unbeatable.

My bikes have never exactly been that suited for distance but even with the luggage and a pillion, managed week long trips.

I’ve never ridden a full dress tourer so who knows what the next acceptable level will be

Attachment 348647
    My last half dozen or so bikes have been GSXR1000s/GSXR1100s and have stuck a rack and tank bag on each bike when going on trips/touring. On day trips just a tank bag. Not far away from a touring or adventure bike as am getting too old and broken to keep folding myself onto a sports bike.

Bike
    MV Brutale 800
    Have just gotten back from a 9-dayer round much of the South Island, we were travelling pretty light and staying in motels so didn't need much gear (spare undies, t-shirt, jandals, ferry strops and toothbrush right? :-). One of me cobbers strapped a tank bag on the tail of his Trumpy, I splashed out on a 20L Kriega bag, and the BMW driver had Givi side paniers which was handy for carrying tools, and beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	602.9 KB 
ID:	348776

The Kriega bag is great, you can stack the things, they come with a solid strap system and you can cinch the bag down nice and firm so it doesn't wobble around. Excellent product.

Useful thread, gonna keep an eye on this one.
    A Ship in Harbour is Safe, but that is NOT what ships are built for

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by deeknow View Post
    Have just gotten back from a 9-dayer round much of the South Island, we were travelling pretty light and staying in motels so didn't need much gear (spare undies, t-shirt, jandals, ferry strops and toothbrush right? :-). One of me cobbers strapped a tank bag on the tail of his Trumpy, I splashed out on a 20L Kriega bag, and the BMW driver had Givi side paniers which was handy for carrying tools, and beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	602.9 KB 
ID:	348776

The Kriega bag is great, you can stack the things, they come with a solid strap system and you can cinch the bag down nice and firm so it doesn't wobble around. Excellent product.

Useful thread, gonna keep an eye on this one.
    Yeah, ya gotta carry beer in the South Island, as beer shops just aren't that common.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Yeah, ya gotta carry beer in the South Island, as beer shops just aren't that common.
    Have you not seen how far apart the pub's are ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Have you not seen how far apart the pub's are ...
    Got to carry extra hydration as you should always have liquid gold at hand.

they are quite far apart

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2019 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    So I'm off for a 3 or 4 or 5 day tour (weather dependent!) at crack of dawn tomorrow and had to figure out how to secure some luggage on the Fartpillick 701. It doesn't have the usual tie-down points and you can't run a strap from one side to the other under the pillion seat. Did a quick 30 minute run to see if it flapped about or moved. Nope, all seems good. In fact I reckon the Givi bags look good on the black bike. Roll on some tasty back roads from here to Coromandel loop and probably East Cape return and maybe Gentle Annie. This ride was meant to be to Northland, thanks Covid but we won, our plan B is looking sweet.
    They look good and seem to have enough clearance of the pipe, how did they go on the trip?
    I've been struggling to find something for my Svart

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by tairl View Post
    They look good and seem to have enough clearance of the pipe, how did they go on the trip?
    I've been struggling to find something for my Svart
    Hah the irony of your comment. How did they go? You missed my thread about the useless bloody new Bridgestone tyres dumping me into a bend and bouncing me off the armco. Funny part is the Givi bags and the radiator side shroud acted as perfect slides protecting the bodywork well. The bags got some road rash but are still looking ok and in working order. That's a big well done Givi bags.

They fitted well. Place one of the straps under the rear tail light which stops the bags sliding forwards. Ran a bungy cord from the front of the bags under the pillion peg area and that's all. Remained totally secure even in a slide down thee road.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information