Thread: Correct Fuel For XR400

Bike
    1969 Honda S90

Correct Fuel For XR400

Hi all-I have a bit of a hybrid bike fitted with a 2003 XR400 RFVC motor-I have been having a bit of difficulty starting it lately-I suspect its fuel,been using 91 but wondering if 95 might be better especially seeing I dont ride this bike that often.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Hi all-I have a bit of a hybrid bike fitted with a 2003 XR400 RFVC motor-I have been having a bit of difficulty starting it lately-I suspect its fuel,been using 91 but wondering if 95 might be better especially seeing I dont ride this bike that often.
    leave it on 91 if that is otherwise ok to run it on. If you don;t run it often, leave the carb dry after you do run it. (ie turn the fuel off for the last few hundred yards or whatever).

The shit fuel we have does not last well in very small quantities, especially if vented to the atmosphere. It can gum up carb jets and passges, or you are trying to start a bike on stale fuel in the carb

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    As said, fuel type is not the problem, it's the residue left.

Take carb out and clean pilot jet, plus check, blow through other passageways.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Drop some injecter/carb cleaner in the tank and take it for a decent run. You my have to do a few tank fulls.

This worked great on my Susuki XF650 when I discovered it's carbs were a bit gummed up when trying to remove the carb drain screws and running ruff. I was way more responsive with not hick ups and the bonus no disassembly required .

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks guys-I suspect stale fuel as I have not run the bike in a while,also as we all know,the fuel we get these days is crap.
    I normally run the bike "dry" before I park it up but will give the carb a going over as suggested.Thanks again.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Thanks guys-I suspect stale fuel as I have not run the bike in a while,also as we all know,the fuel we get these days is crap.
    I normally run the bike "dry" before I park it up but will give the carb a going over as suggested.Thanks again.
    My '76 Honda CB550F and '98 XF650 runs fine on the stuff. The trick is actually riding them instead of have them sitting idle for no good reason. They start first pop most often.

Thread Information