Thread: Securing a helmet

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016

Securing a helmet

My bike has a helmet clip/lock but it’s tiny and I can’t get it through the D rings. And the d rings could be cut anyway.

My jacket is also too fkn hot to wear as soon as I get off the bike, so that + helmet ends up being a huge PITA to carry around.

I was thinking of getting a topbox, or DIY mounting some sort of case in board (after reading how much people hate the way topboxes mess with balance by sitting high and far back), but maybe the cheapest and simplest option is to get a bike chain or U lock and go through the helmet face + jacket sleeve, and onto the rear grab bars/handles?

I’ve read people say they’ve had their helmets pissed on by drunks etc, but I’m almost never in town at night with the bike so I reckon I’d be safe in that front. And maybe top box would attract more unwanted attention?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yep, I've seen that done - cable lock through both arms of the jacket, overpants leg and the chin bar of the helmet. The bloke had chosen to leave his stuff on the ground, I'd be worried about dog owners losing attention for just that crucial moment... anyway yes I agree, hot and PITA to carry gear. Been there done that.

Is it a regular stop? Is there a friendly local business that you could leave stuff with, negotiate some sort of arrangement (gold coin in the tip jar each time maybe)?

In the UK they have bike lockers beside some bike parks, brilliant idea, dump gear and go. I'm not sure of anywhere in NZ that does something similar though.

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Definitely don’t have anything like that in Wairoa! But that’s a good point. I haven’t been there long enough to have made friends with local shop owners. The “town” is a street a few hundred meters long so befriending a shop keeper might be the a good way to go.

Thread Information