Thread: Two Stroke road bike

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)

Two Stroke road bike

Hey guys, I'm just going through some ideas and looking at getting a dual sport sometime next year, I've owned a DRZ400 but thats gone now. I'm currently looking at older XR models (250,400) , and possibly WR250R. I was thinking, would It be wise to get a street kit for say a YZ125, 250 or some other 2 stroke dirt bike? (No KTMs or Husq's as I dont have that kind of money). I know they aren't like 4 strokes so you cant ring them out for long so my intentions are doing some trails, beaches. I don't have a car so I'm unable to just tow one to a riding place. LMK what you guys think or another type of 2 stroke to consider.

Cheers

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    what you guys think
    It's a shit idea, you'd be lucky to get one road regoed and they'd be arse to ride on the road no matter how short the distance is

Find a road legal four stroke
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yup, a competition 2t on the road can be quite unpleasant.

I have a pair of 90's 2t trail bikes, great fun off road and pretty civilised on road. A DT 230 and CRM 2 fiddly.

Compared to competition bikes they are dialed down and reliable. Not particularly viby, auto oilers, light and poky. About 40hp / 135kg on a good day.

Might be another avenue to explore. A CRM popped up on trade me awhile ago but I had to bow out of buying it.

Summit like this may be an easier route, particularly if it is already in the rego system.

RMX 250
    Manopausal.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yup, a competition 2t on the road can be quite unpleasant.

I have a pair of 90's 2t trail bikes, great fun off road and pretty civilised on road. A DT 230 and CRM 2 fiddly.

Compared to competition bikes they are dialed down and reliable. Not particularly viby, auto oilers, light and poky. About 40hp / 135kg on a good day.

Might be another avenue to explore. A CRM popped up on trade me awhile ago but I had to bow out of buying it.

Summit like this may be an easier route, particularly if it is already in the rego system.

RMX 250
    Awesome cheers, would it be equally as hard if I got a YZ250/125X enduro model?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Awesome cheers, would it be equally as hard if I got a YZ250/125X enduro model?
    If they weren't a model that was ever road registered here you're wasting your time
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    If they weren't a model that was ever road registered here you're wasting your time
    Sweet, cheers

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    The Yamaha's are impossible to get road legal. KTM300 is possible. I have seen a few running about and they look pretty zippy. I have a KTM530. I just ride it steady on the road - it's a bit skittish over 80km/hr. Needs a steering damper and cush damper/drive on the back wheel. But gravel roads are my target :-)
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Thread Information