Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Death toll on the roads is virtually identical to 2019

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Admiting fault has consequences including insurance liability. But that's only if one has insurance (non-compulsory in NZ).
    That would depend ENTIRELY on the individual policy held by individual concerned. Not all insurance policies are the same. Being at fault in itself ... is not really/usually the major issue. Having the premiums paid and up to date ... IS. That's the whole principal of having insurance. BUT ... being held at fault might (ok WILL) see your premiums go up.

Those looking for a particular type of insurance ... read all the policies of the companies first. Some clauses may trip you up ... like being "Under the influence of alcoholl" ... which is not the same (with some companies) as being over the (any) legal limit to drive.

There are a few good past threads on insurance ... worth a read.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Interesting. I've worked on bikes for some years, though not at the moment. A day of riding a bike is more fatiguing than a day of driving a car, IMHO.

Back to the topic, when we stop looking at the number of deaths as being someone else's problem, we can start to do thgings to reduce the problem.

As long as we continue to blame roads, drivers, government, councils, NZTA, ACC, Police, not much will change.
    Riding a big bike through the city (any city) center is bloody hard work. Especially in summer.

Looking at road deaths as a problem wont fix anything. But being at fault should also mean ... that there WERE steps we could have taken to avoid the accident ... BUT DIDN'T. At the moment ... it's who broke the road rules and will end up in court. How many times have you heard ... "I had right of way so it's not my fault" .. ?? The fact that they could have slowed or stopped before it happened ... not mentioned.

For a motorcyclist ... Proactively looking out for things that might kill us (and avoiding them) ... should be our primary defense process.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    The aviation industry seems to freely admit their faults and share knowledge so others don’t repeat.
    Pilots have a saying to the effect, "You may survive the accident, but you won't survive the enquiry."

Without wishing to suggest for a minute that Hollywood should be considered historically accurate, the movie "Sully" might be relevant.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    That would depend ENTIRELY on the individual policy held by individual concerned. Not all insurance policies are the same. Being at fault in itself ... is not really/usually the major issue. Having the premiums paid and up to date ... IS. That's the whole principal of having insurance. BUT ... being held at fault might (ok WILL) see your premiums go up.

Those looking for a particular type of insurance ... read all the policies of the companies first. Some clauses may trip you up ... like being "Under the influence of alcoholl" ... which is not the same (with some companies) as being over the (any) legal limit to drive.

There are a few good past threads on insurance ... worth a read.
    That's not the same as admiting fault for the accident. Most insurance policies clearly require the insured to not readily admit the fault (and liability). Let the assessor do their job and assign where the fault lies.

Insured can be at fault and insurance will cover it (most of the times, depending on the situation). That's how insurance works. But if you say to the other party it's all your fault before the case is even handled by the insurer, then you are taking away their ability to defend their legal liability. A bit unfair and it starts becoming messy.

Finding the root cause to remidiate future risk is a different matter. And that is what I am interested in. Whether it's my own mistake or someone else's.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/123...ickets-in-2020

Waikato issued nearly twice as many speeding tickets in 2020, compared to 2019 - saying science backs up the assertion that mean reduction in speed results in fewer fatalities.

Road toll stats don't support that scientific claim. So what gives? Targeting drivers doing 1-5 percent over the posted speed limit is really harsh with minimal gain (perhaps monetary gain only). Even with cruise control set at 100 kms/hr it's impossible to not occasionally go over by 1-2 kms (eg on a hilly descend before the computer has time to react).

Bike
    It was on the good
    In a page linked from the one you quote -

Quote Originally Posted by Buggers Grips
    Matthew-Wilson said almost all speed-related accidents involve a tiny group of “yobbos”, impaired drivers and motorcyclists.

This group is effectively immune to road safety messages.
    For once I agree with the twat.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    That's not the same as admiting fault for the accident. Most insurance policies clearly require the insured to not readily admit the fault (and liability). Let the assessor do their job and assign where the fault lies.

Insured can be at fault and insurance will cover it (most of the times, depending on the situation). That's how insurance works. But if you say to the other party it's all your fault before the case is even handled by the insurer, then you are taking away their ability to defend their legal liability. A bit unfair and it starts becoming messy.

Finding the root cause to remidiate future risk is a different matter. And that is what I am interested in. Whether it's my own mistake or someone else's.
    I understand that angle. I was instructed by my Driving instructor when training for my very own drivers license ... if involved in a motor vehicle accident ... speak only to Police about the accident. Do not lie, just say what happened. The only thing you say to the other people involved in the accident ... is an inquiry in relation to their health.

For the very reasons you mentioned.

Bike
    welbike

relative road toll

I do understand that any road death or injury is bad but I do wonder what the death rate is over the last 40 years compared to the actual miles driven. I would take a stab in the dark that its probably on tenth of what it was per K. I would suspect the govt would know the exact figure based on WOF odo readings but if they told the public they couldn't scare us with there advertising . Anyway if they were serious about reducing carnage on the road and the big accidents just kill all subaru drivers .

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    I do understand that any road death or injury is bad but I do wonder what the death rate is over the last 40 years compared to the actual miles driven. I would take a stab in the dark that its probably on tenth of what it was per K. I would suspect the govt would know the exact figure based on WOF odo readings but if they told the public they couldn't scare us with there advertising . Anyway if they were serious about reducing carnage on the road and the big accidents just kill all subaru drivers .
    You are talking about VKT, vehicles kilometres travelled. The more vehicles, the more VKT. The more mobility, the higher the VKT.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/statis...-travelled-vkt

Bike
    It was on the good
    Be part of the only real solution -

Driving Instructor Vacancy

Motorcycle Instructor Vacancy.

Bike
    A
    Driving Instructor Vacancy

Motorcycle Instructor Vacancy.

That's about half the solution.

Political willpower for meaningful road user education and enforcement is largely MIA. Not just in NZ either

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    On my wee 433km ride yesterday the other road users were 99.99999% well behaved. Even those pesky white tourist vans folk here moan about moved over when I was approaching.

If you suffer from road rage take a deep breath and get over yourselves and enjoy the extra time on your m/c.

Just saying...

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    On my wee 433km ride yesterday the other road users were 99.99999% well behaved. Even those pesky white tourist vans folk here moan about moved over when I was approaching.

If you suffer from road rage take a deep breath and get over yourselves and enjoy the extra time on your m/c.

Just saying...
    This echoes my time on the roads over recent weeks. Of course it's only those that exhibit dork-like behaviour that you remember...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    This echoes my time on the roads over recent weeks. Of course it's only those that exhibit dork-like behaviour that you remember...
    The sheep need vehicle awareness training though I noticed. Any takers?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Fuck me old boot! (Old rural expression.) It's almost as if there are people in this country who have not yet realised there is a pandemic. There are border controls. Currently the tourist vans are driven by Kiwis.

SMH
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information