Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Death toll on the roads is virtually identical to 2019

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Death toll on the roads is virtually identical to 2019

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123...order-closures

I have suspected this all along. Kiwi drivers are not as competent as they believe they are. In fact, my most recent road trip also supports the notion. In some respects, I don't believe speed is a significant contributor as well. It's the attitude that is the problem, particularly the unwillingness to train existing license holders for improving skills. Cars and bikes are much more powerful now than ever before, yet people got their licences some years ago with no further training required to handle extra power.

Just my thoughts for the year 2020. May the year 2021 bring much joy and happiness to everyone.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    What about the effect of wanking while driving?. Or updating Farcebook which is largely the same thing.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    A
    This revelation isn't news to anyone who can read statistics.

Nor is it a surprise to anyone involved in driver/rider education.

Lack of political willpower to make meaningful change

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    This revelation isn't news to anyone who can read statistics.

Nor is it a surprise to anyone involved in driver/rider education.

Lack of political willpower to make meaningful change
    What changes would you suggest? NZTA and AT are full of idiots as far as I can see with respect to traffic management and planning.

Driving license should not be perpetual. A refresher every 10 years at renewal should include at least some sort of testing. If the driver can provide evidence of attending a training course, this could be exempted. But then do we even have such courses available for drivers? I know about the rider training courses. Why doesn't ACC sponsors such courses for drivers?

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    What changes would you suggest? NZTA and AT are full of idiots as far as I can see with respect to traffic management and planning.
    How's about actual policing, rather than speed management.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Why doesn't ACC sponsors such courses for drivers?
    Because drivers would then have to pay for it and they're the majority, not minority like us.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I don't believe speed is a significant contributor as well.
    Speed in itself in not the issue. BUT ... if you believe that "Speed" is anything over the posted speed limit for the road you're on ... you've got it wrong.

The "I have right of way ... therefore I have no need to slow down as I approach this next intersection controlled by the give way/stop sign" is an attitude issue. Not a skill or ability issue.

It's the same as driving at the same speed (on dry or wet roads) and expecting the same stopping distances ... which also makes an it an attitude issue. Rather than a skill issue.

It's the attitude that is the problem.
    This is the major factor in any accident. The attitude of the person that was in control of the vehicle. Speed can be a factor in retaliative to the situation/conditions at the time. And not necessarily over any posted limit for that area. Just simply too fast for the conditions ... or the ability of the driver/rider to control their vehicle IN those conditions.

Reducing damage and increasing your chance's of survival ... can be achieved by reducing speed. Which funnily enough ... is the basic reason speed limits are reduced in high crash zone area's.

But ... who wants to live forever ... eh ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Because drivers would then have to pay for it and they're the majority, not minority like us.
    There is an ACC levy attached to all motor vehicle registration. Not just for motorcycles.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Passing the drivers licencing test should be the beginning of a driver's education. Sadlly in this country most people never do anything else to improve their knowledge or ability. A small percentage will do a defensive deiving course but that'll be it.

Holden and BMW were running driver training courses but they are expensive and only a few will do those. Other than that the only people who will do anything about improving their skills are the enthusiasts and they are a small proportion of the total number of drivers on the road.

Apparently my next "driving test" will involve the Montreal Cognitive Assessment. The same test made famous by Donald J Trump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719_loc_MOCA2_t603.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	348218  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I blame the tourists. It was much safer when they were here, clogging up the roads and therefore keeping the average speed way down.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    No surprises really, Humans do dumb shit !!

30 odd years as a Copper has helped mould me into negative bugger.

Just look after yourself guys and girls, try to keep all your experience to the forefront of your thinking when out driving/riding.

Good luck for 2021 xx

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    There is an ACC levy attached to all motor vehicle registration. Not just for motorcycles.
    I was referring to the $25 safety levy that's only applied to motorcyclists.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Last week on my road trip, I came across a section where everyone was driving at 90 (posted speed limit 100). At the passing lane I went past a few cars and the reason became apparent, a cop car was doing a leisurely 90. I was the only one to overtake the cop (still remaining within the limit).

This is how road rage starts.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    How's about actual policing, rather than speed management.
    What would you have them police?

Bike
    suzuki
    What would you have them police?
    all roading offences, they do speed as it's backed my a machine, no sitting in court for hours waiting to appear in front of the judge when someone challenges your 'judgement' on the offence etc. they should put cameras in the cars, record the offence on the road, ticket people and have the video evidence to back it up, then the coppers on the road will actually want to deal with all offences rather than the easy one

Thread Information