Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 337

Thread: Death toll on the roads is virtually identical to 2019

  1. #151
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    18,241
    People supposedly use to fall off dust themselves down, carry on back to the cop outside the copshop door and still pass. So goes the urban legend,


    . . . which if I apply critical thinking 🤔 several decades later, I'm less likely to believe. Oh well good story.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  2. #152
    Join Date
    15th February 2017 - 13:17
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    In days of yore nobody used to fail. Well, very few failed.
    I have realized that, particularly looking at the stats for sure and the way a lot of the older drivers/riders go about their business.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    16th December 2006 - 11:22
    Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Location
    In the hedge
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    People supposedly use to fall off dust themselves down, carry on back to the cop outside the copshop door and still pass. So goes the urban legend,


    . . . which if I apply critical thinking several decades later, I'm less likely to believe. Oh well good story.
    I'm convinced that I should have failed my test. However, my father had built the tester's house, and all the tester did was go on and on about how much he loved his new house. I don't think he took that much notice about what I was actually doing, which was for the best as I rode appallingly badly due to nerves and not really being ready to take the test.



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  4. #154
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    18,241
    When I did my car licence, the 6 1/2' cop kinda groaned as I led him outside Peirce house as I pointed out our 850 mini and dutifully squeezed in to the passenger seat with his bike boots on.

    It was rush hour Wellington heading back onto the motorway which circa 1983 meant nose to tail but doing 80kph. I had to fuking $#Cane the poor mini to get up to speed and push my way into a gap.

    As we went into the tunnel he said. Well I might as well tell you now that you've passed. I've sat there 15min with timid drivers. A fair change in attitude to today I'm sure.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  5. #155
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    7,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I have realized that, particularly looking at the stats for sure and the way a lot of the older drivers/riders go about their business.
    I blame old cunts in New Plymouth riding outside city limits traveling at 170kmh over hill and dale everywhere.

    Just saying.....

  6. #156
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    7,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I have realized that, particularly looking at the stats for sure and the way a lot of the older drivers/riders go about their business.
    I wonder how other road users view YOUR driving/riding ability.

    Just saying.....

  7. #157
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    4,400
    Interesting the comments in regard to licence testing. Mine was marginal, in 1981 in Invercargill.

    I think the process (CBTA, since 2014) turns out better riders now than used to be. My experience of looking at riders both as a popo and an instructor tells me that riders who start now and go through the CBTA process to get their licence are generally better riders than self taught experts.

    People complain about how expensive it is, how long it takes. In France and Germany it cost around 2500 Euro to get a motorcycle licence, due to the requirement to spend a lot of time getting professional tuition.

    So here we complain that the system is too easy, but that it takes too long and costs too much.

    Conversely, the harder or more complex you make it to get a licence, the more likely it is that people will either not ride, or ride without a licence. Neither of which are good outcomes.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    2nd December 2009 - 13:51
    Bike
    A brmm, brmm one
    Location
    Upper-Upper Hutt
    Posts
    2,142
    Thing I hate most about the licence is the 10yr renewal of the "it's not an ID" licence, where literally the only thing you do is update your ID; not even the multi-choice test... but you know, "it's not an ID"
    Science Is But An Organized System Of Ignorance
    "Pornography: The thing with billions of views that nobody watches" - WhiteManBehindADesk

  9. #159
    Join Date
    12th September 2004 - 17:40
    Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Location
    Horowhenua NZ
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    Thing I hate most about the licence is the 10yr renewal of the "it's not an ID" licence, where literally the only thing you do is update your ID; not even the multi-choice test... but you know, "it's not an ID"
    How true, photos aren't updated either are they ?

    There's money in renewals, lifetime licence didn't work for them. Hard to argue it's not a NZ card ?

    You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

  10. #160
    Join Date
    25th June 2012 - 11:56
    Bike
    DR650XT Dakar
    Location
    Target moving no signal
    Posts
    2,121
    Driver licencing is not about safety, it's about you signing a contract with the state to agree to pay a schedule of fines that they choose to expose. If it wasn't a contract you wouldn't have to sign anything.
    Same with hazardous goods, you are taught the bare minimum on the subject...

    OSH forklift training seems to be about the only thing out there that properly trains people in nearly all the modes of failure that will result in small or large scale disaster....

    Our population has nearly doubled in 30 years the road toll has pplummeted in comparison, its barely newsworthy these days now the media has a new genre of fear porn to peddle.
    The road toll now is just a political tool that will be leveraged to end free travel completely eventually under the guise of climate and covid controls.
    Tragic as it is our fear is over blown due to it being so visible... but no ones grabbing the sugary drink off the fat kid in aisle 7. "Don't do it Jonny, you die of pancreatic cancer in 20 years time,"

    As we all board the trains to health camps well suddenly be interested in rail safety....
    Nothing to see here...

  11. #161
    Join Date
    2nd December 2009 - 13:51
    Bike
    A brmm, brmm one
    Location
    Upper-Upper Hutt
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    How true, photos aren't updated either are they ?

    There's money in renewals, lifetime licence didn't work for them. Hard to argue it's not a NZ card ?
    Photo's are.
    Photo, signature & expiry date are the only thing updated.
    No care if you know the current rules or if you should have got a licence in the 1st place, only that your pic is updated & give them money for the privilege
    Science Is But An Organized System Of Ignorance
    "Pornography: The thing with billions of views that nobody watches" - WhiteManBehindADesk

  12. #162
    Join Date
    15th February 2017 - 13:17
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    Photo's are.
    Photo, signature & expiry date are the only thing updated.
    No care if you know the current rules or if you should have got a licence in the 1st place, only that your pic is updated & give them money for the privilege
    Don't forget the free eye test you get.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    16th December 2006 - 11:22
    Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Location
    In the hedge
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I think the process (CBTA, since 2014) turns out better riders now than used to be.
    When I did the silver Ride Forever course last year, I was the only rider on a full licence, with the others being on their restricted licences and going through the CBTA process. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the general level of skill and roadcraft within the group. They were far better riders than I was at the same stage of my riding career.



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  14. #164
    Join Date
    15th February 2017 - 13:17
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    400
    https://youtu.be/wM8Xli2KTzI

    I gave up on bicycle commute because nobody actually sees you.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    When I did the silver Ride Forever course last year, I was the only rider on a full licence, with the others being on their restricted licences and going through the CBTA process. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the general level of skill and roadcraft within the group. They were far better riders than I was at the same stage of my riding career.



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    This is much the same in the UK where driving tests and standards have been on the up (Both in terms of difficulty and cost) for many years now. The same complaints surface too - That is that it's too difficult and costly which then drives poor behaviours such as driving/riding without licences and insurance. The fact is that the system produces better riders than it used to - But it needs to given the increased traffic volumes from 20/30/40 years ago.

    The best we can do is use this to our own personal advantage. I try to do this by attending a Ride Forever course at least once per year and I always manage to learn/re-learn something whenever I go. Plus it's a day's riding for peanuts in terms of $. Good all round me thinks.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •