Thread: Yamaha Recalls Over 18,000 Bikes For Faulty Front Brake Switch

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

Yamaha Recalls Over 18,000 Bikes For Faulty Front Brake Switch

https://advrider.com/yamaha-recalls-...-brake-switch/

Front brake switch and cruise control may fail due to contamination.

Yamaha is recalling numerous motorcycle models for a problem with the front brake switch. The problem stems from “increased internal resistance caused by silicon oxide.”

If the motorcycle has this condition, the brake light may stay on constantly. In addition, the cruise control, if it can be set, may cancel unexpectedly. According to Yamaha, each of these conditions could increase the risk of a crash.

After a quality control review, testing, and a review of foreign models, Yamaha Motor Co., LTD notified Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA of the defect’s existence. As a result, Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, is issuing this recall.

Front brake switch

The Yamaha Nikken is part of a wide range of Yamaha bikes affected by this recall.

A wide range of Yamaha motorcycles may have this defect. The recall spans model years from as early as 2013 through 2021. See the below chart for affected models:

YAMAHA FJR1300 2013-2020
    YAMAHA MT-10 2017-2020
    YAMAHA Tracer GT (MTT9GT) 2018-2020
    YAMAHA Nikken GT (MXTGTKL) 2019
    YAMAHA Super Teneré (XTZ12) 2018-2020
    YAMAHA Star Venture (XV1900) 2018-2021
    YAMAHA Star Eluder (XV1900B) 2018

In all, 18,203 bikes may have this issue.
    Brake switch recall timing

Yamaha is still determining the correct VIN ranges for the affected motorcycles and finalizing the recall technical service bulletin. They are also waiting for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to approve Yamaha’s owner notification letter.

As such, Yamaha anticipates that the owner’s mailing process and the associated recall will begin sometime between January 13th and 15th.

Once finalized, Yamaha will notify owners of the affected bikes and advise them to take the bike to a Yamaha dealer for repair. Dealers will then replace the front brake switch free of charge. In the interim, for additional information, owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926 and cite Yamaha recall number 990140.

Bike
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300
    Guys
    So does this affect all the above bikes in NZ or only the USA. Honestly can't see myself getting a call from Yamaha NZ to bring my bike in for a brake switch replacement of which i have had problems with. Your'e dreaming mate lol.

No pun intended.

regards
    Gezza
    Of all the things I've lost, my mind is the one I miss the most.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezza View Post
    Guys
    So does this affect all the above bikes in NZ or only the USA. Honestly can't see myself getting a call from Yamaha NZ to bring my bike in for a brake switch replacement of which i have had problems with. Your'e dreaming mate lol.

No pun intended.

regards
    Gezza
    Guys on the Tenere forum from UK,USA,Canada have got the letter from Yamaha for brake recall, my CC works intermittently.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'd imagine they'd do the mcountries with the most impact first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezza View Post
    Guys

No pun intended.

regards
    Gezza
    I passed this info on to our local Yamaha agent Evolution motorcycles. They said it is just a matter of time until NZ owners are contacted.

I'd imagine they will do the markets where most of these bikes were sold first for logistics reasons. Which makes sence.

Bike
    2009 Kawasaki Versys 650
    I am surprised to see old models on this list.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Calix Lee View Post
    Why? If it is the same part number.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Calix Lee View Post
    I'm not.

The front brake switch has been crap on every Yamaha I've ever owned, it has been pretty much the only bit that needed attention before going for a WOF to avoid a stupid fail.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Thread Information