Thread: Auckland rider refresher course suggestions

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet

Auckland rider refresher course suggestions

After 11 years off the bike I am really keen to get back riding (along with half the world looking at the worldwide shortage of new bikes and rise in second hand prices).

Being 47 I am in a bloody high risk category. I am full of screws (over 2 dozen) and plates (4) as it is from various crashes, and keen not to add to that number.

I think it would be wise to do a course off the roads (probably a few hours of private tuition), with a rental bike before looking at which bike to buy. I started with a KX80 in my early teens, got my road license on an XR250 and spent a reasonable amount of time on a '74 triumph and a hornet (my favourite). I am hoping that old skills come back reasonably quickly, bearing in mind reactions will never be what they were.

Anyway, putting motorbike skills training Auckland into Google, 3 companies come up - a) Absolute Motorcycle Training, b) Riderskills and c) Pro Rider. Any thoughts on who is worth doing a course with? It would be ideal if they had their own bikes for hire where the course is run.

Thanks for your thoughts/comments.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    I got my licence at age 15 and did 2.5 years in London as a motorcycle courier on a Honda CB250RS before returning to NZ and doing the same here in Auckland for another 3 - 4 years on a Katana 650 and Yamaha XJ900 (and towards the end, a Honda Spacey 250cc).

I had 20-something years off the bike when I "got back on the horse" at age 56.

Bought an ex-rental BMW G650Gs and rode it back from Christchurch to Auckland over a couple of days (during a VERY cold August!). It was glorious getting back on the bike, and I wished I had done it years before!!

I now have a 2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA and the odo is reading over 50K!

But I would strongly recommend refresher training. I have done a Silver, two Gold's and a Gravel Riding course with ProRider and would recommend them.

I did learn a couple of new techniques, but most was just reinforcing stuff I already knew (which is not a bad thing considering the gap in riding).

Have fun and ride safe!!!

Sent from my OnePlus7T using Tapatalk

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    I would like to throw Passmasters into the mix. I have great experiences with them although up North.

I am not aware that there are any training companies who can provide bikes to participants.

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet
    thanks for your thoughts @johcar & @BMW_BeMyWings.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You have 2 main options available. Rideforever is subsidised by ACC, but you need your own bike, and it's a group course (depending on how many actually turn up on the day of course, but usually 2-6). Usually costs you ~$50, depending on the course, and it's a whole day.

Other option is private one to one tuition. Depends where you are in Auckland, if one suits more than another, but Riderskills is out Westgate way, and my pick of the 3 you listed.

Other option which is a bit unusual is Passmasters track training, which is off the public road as such. Rideforever and one to one stuff will be based on the roads. Hit up the one you select and see if they have something for hire, otherwise some dealers have motorcycles for hire - mainly for the purposes of passing tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW_BeMyWings View Post
    I would like to throw Passmasters into the mix. I have great experiences with them although up North.

I am not aware that there are any training companies who can provide bikes to participants.
    Passmasters have a couple of bikes for hire to take part in either licence testing or Ride Forever courses, as well as one on one tuition.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW_BeMyWings View Post

I did bronze and silver Ride Forever courses with Passmasters, one in west Auckland and one in east Auckland. Both were very professionally run. In one of the courses a student turned up on a Yamaha Scorpio supplied by Passmasters.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    I did bronze and silver Ride Forever courses with Passmasters, one in west Auckland and one in east Auckland. Both were very professionally run. In one of the courses a student turned up on a Yamaha Scorpio supplied by Passmasters.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    The way passmasters work, having instructors in the areas they offer training meaning they have no offices in all these areas, I assume this is not a "normal" service they offer. I also can't find anything on their webpage about bike rentals for courses. Our passmasters instructor has 4 bikes in the garage. Maybe the instructor lend the participant one of his bikes?

But I might be wrong.It happened before.

Thread Information