Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    That's one metric, GDP shows a similar trend that there was steady progress under Obama but under Trump there was a significant increase of Progress. The unemployment rate (before Covid) was also extremely good.
    Not so sure that I agree with you, but that's fine.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-1990/

The 2008-09 slump is obviously due to the GFC.

As for steady growth in GDP, it would be interesting to know the proportion due to "price increases" - as compared to increased volume of manufacturing and trading activity.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Not so sure that I agree with you, but that's fine.

The 2008-09 slump is obviously due to the GFC.

As for steady growth in GDP, it would be interesting to know the proportion due to "price increases" - as compared to increased volume of manufacturing and trading activity.
    On the grand scale - you can see the general upward trend of the US economy, but if you look at the detail - towards the end of Obama's presidency, Economic growth slowed down.

The other thing to note is that after you've had a massive crisis - the numbers can be misleading: going from 1 to 2 represents a 100% increase, whereas going from 10 to 15 is only a 50% increase, despite being a greater absolute change. I should add this is not a knock on Obama, whilst there are things to critique him on, overall he did okay - but look at the data from 15-16, you'll see a Slump, then Trump gets elected and it kicks back up again.

The other thing to note on things like Unemployment is the law of diminishing returns - so as the rate gets lower, the effort needed to lower it further becomes exponentially harder.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    President Donald Trump halted flights from China this time last year in an attempt to prevent the Wuhan coronavirus from spreading throughout the United States.

When he implemented those travel restrictions, the left – including now President Joe Biden – accused Trump of being a "xenophobic" and a "racist."

Health care leaders have repeatedly said that decision, especially being made so early on, helped prevent the outbreak in the United States from being worse than it currently is.

Before leaving office, Trump decided to roll back travel restrictions on those coming from Brazil, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

On Monday, Biden reimplemented those very travel bans.

But - it's different when the left do it. Yeah, nah.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Unlike Obama, trump did have the advantage that he was not up against a senate that was determined to block every proposed piece of legislation. Yet, even with that advantage, trump could not get Obamas signature piece, the ACA, repealed.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries

As for Biden - he's already killed 70,000 jobs and the Sword of Damacles is hanging over New Mexico's oil and gas industry. There's been some rather hilarious posts by people who publicly supported Biden and have now found themselves on the chopping block crying 'No one told us he would do this' - and people like me going 'Yeah, we did - you called us names - and now you get what you fucking deserve'
    The World does not need more fucking oil and gas pipelines, get with the program dinosaur.
    Biden said many more jobs will be created with renewable energy initiatives. I believe him - on this one.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    On the grand scale - you can see the general upward trend of the US economy, but if you look at the detail - towards the end of Obama's presidency, Economic growth slowed down.

The other thing to note is that after you've had a massive crisis - the numbers can be misleading: going from 1 to 2 represents a 100% increase, whereas going from 10 to 15 is only a 50% increase, despite being a greater absolute change. I should add this is not a knock on Obama, whilst there are things to critique him on, overall he did okay - but look at the data from 15-16, you'll see a Slump, then Trump gets elected and it kicks back up again.

The other thing to note on things like Unemployment is the law of diminishing returns - so as the rate gets lower, the effort needed to lower it further becomes exponentially harder.
    Granted, the rate of GDP growth for the "real" economy did reduce towards the end of Obama's second term (from +2.9% in 2015 down to +1.6% in 2016), but it was still positive. Given that some annualised statistics are not complied and finalised until well after the end of a period, this data might not have even been available (to voters) in November 2016 when the 2016 US election was held.

Furthermore, the US share-market was still looking positive at that time: See the 10 Year window for the lower chart: https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/djia/charts

I doubt very much either were significant reasons for Obama to be "shown the door" in 2016. Or for Trump to be elected.

Though I can however recall some other issues that might have contributed to Obama's exit. Such as:

1. Healthcare Plan (ACA) - over the course of 2008-10 - one that only a lobbyist for a health provider could love (effectively kicking single payer "Medicare for All" to the curb).

2. Backlash against Obama's tolerance of banking behaviour that led to the 2008-09 GFC - the Occupy Wall Street movement (and its eventual close-out by the Obama administration and some Democrat mayors in 2011).

3. Proposed Bank Regulation Legislation - culminating in the tepid Dodd-Frank Act in 2011 (supposedly to prevent the excesses leading to the 2008 GFC from ever happening again).

4. Weak Economic Stimulus post GFC - Anaemic economic stimulus package during first term, coupled with large numbers of Americans losing their jobs and their homes (the latter often due to illegal bank foreclosures)

5. Democrats losing control of the Senate in 2014 (hat-tip to Pete376403 - post #108).

6. Obama and Israel - culminating in Netanyahu speaking to the (Republican controlled) Senate in 2015.

7. Obama - Nobel Peace Prize winner and his human rights record - His drone assassination program; His failure to close Guantanamo Bay; Continuation of surveillance programmes initiated by GW Bush, and his failure to restrict domestic surveillance programmes following NSA exposure by Snowden in 2014.

8. Obama's lack of support for the Black sector of the US community - that their economic difficulties were the result of their own self-defeating and dysfunctional behaviour , and not in any way due to institutional racism [ Likely cost the Democrats dearly in terms of support in a number of swing states in the 2016 election ].

9. Hillary and her "basket of deplorables" and her "extreme carelessness with an email server".

10. The Tea Party and its strong advocacy for tax cuts - with support from organisations such as AFP (Americans for Prosperity) funded by the Kochs [ Perhaps the two words "Tax Cuts" resonated ].

As for Trump, how did Don - the least desired of the Republican candidates (from the GOP perspective) - end up as the Republican candidate ? And beat Hillary in the election ?

Perhaps his support for "tax cuts" (culminating in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act) provided some early support:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Cu...bs_Act_of_2017

I struggled to find any mention of "swamp cleansing" within the GOP policy portfolio:
    https://www.thebalance.com/do-republ...s-work-4129139

Perhaps that explains why the "honeymoon" did not last long.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

As for unemployment, I can't recall either of the two main parties having "reduction in unemployment" as a major policy plank. Especially in this heavily globalised world.

Not that I'd necessarily believe US job number reporting in any case:
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/51582.htm

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    The World does not need more fucking oil and gas pipelines, get with the program dinosaur.
    Biden said many more jobs will be created with renewable energy initiatives. I believe him - on this one.
    And what do you do, if you are one of the ones laid off, between now and when these supposed jobs appear?

Like it or not - Oil and Gas is still the primary means of transportation. On top of that, I think there is great benefit to the world if the US is Energy sufficient and doesn't have to go poking it's nose in certain other areas of the map....

Now, if certain renewable technology had at least reached true parity with the current tech, it might not be so bad - I think I've pointed out in other threads that Constant Torque throughout a rev range, elimination of Gear Boxes (where applicable) and Motors per-hub are actually really good things for EVs, but until Battery recharge is on par with the time spent refuelling - they aren't comparable.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Gasoline fuel alone is a 16 billion dollars a DAY industry, never mind associated revenues.

Your giant windy fairy wind turbines NEED dinosaur oil for the MASSIVE shear loads in their gear boxes, about 60-400L per turbine and needs frequent changing as it’s below spec of what they would like it to be.

Fossil fuels have highest energy density by weight and easiest to move and store. This is important when the military is the biggest user in world. An army can’t be idle waiting for batteries to recharge. EV will be great around town but petrol ain’t going away in a hurry
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And what do you do, if you are one of the ones laid off, between now and when these supposed jobs appear?

Like it or not - Oil and Gas is still the primary means of transportation. On top of that, I think there is great benefit to the world if the US is Energy sufficient and doesn't have to go poking it's nose in certain other areas of the map....

Now, if certain renewable technology had at least reached true parity with the current tech, it might not be so bad - I think I've pointed out in other threads that Constant Torque throughout a rev range, elimination of Gear Boxes (where applicable) and Motors per-hub are actually really good things for EVs, but until Battery recharge is on par with the time spent refuelling - they aren't comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Gasoline fuel alone is a 16 billion dollars a DAY industry, never mind associated revenues.

Your giant windy fairy wind turbines NEED dinosaur oil for the MASSIVE shear loads in their gear boxes, about 60-400L per turbine and needs frequent changing as it’s below spec of what they would like it to be.

Fossil fuels have highest energy density by weight and easiest to move and store. This is important when the military is the biggest user in world. An army can’t be idle waiting for batteries to recharge. EV will be great around town but petrol ain’t going away in a hurry
    Clearly you dinos have not been paying attention to the very fast in advances in battery tech - they have no been manufactured by a mass production factory - 5 minutes charge time, and this tech is in it's infancy, watch it fly when they develop it even further.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...21-1?r=US&IR=T

And as to DL's question what do they do for a job? Find another one, re-skill if need be. Same with all other jobs that have been made extinct by other tech.
    And R650R, the time has well past for the humans to take the easiest, or cheapest option.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Clearly you dinos have not been paying attention to the very fast in advances in battery tech - they have no been manufactured by a mass production factory - 5 minutes charge time, and this tech is in it's infancy, watch it fly when they develop it even further.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...21-1?r=US&IR=T
    I'm happy to see progress - but as you say 'in it's infancy' - so that's at least 10-15 years away from being a viable option, even with the rapid pace of development.

And as to DL's question what do they do for a job? Find another one
    "The Peasants have no Bread!"
    "Well let them eat Cake!"

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    5 minutes charge time, and this tech is in it's infancy,
    For maybe five years I've had a trick musical pick up that charges to full in sixty seconds. I was imprssed then, still am.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

World best oil for most properties is Castor based.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    World best oil for most properties is Castor based.
    That may be out of date now with the arrival of synthetics, most of which are mineral based.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    President Donald Trump halted flights from China this time last year in an attempt to prevent the Wuhan coronavirus from spreading throughout the United States.

When he implemented those travel restrictions, the left – including now President Joe Biden – accused Trump of being a "xenophobic" and a "racist."
    really.....................
    forty-five nations imposed travel restrictions on China before the United States did. The earliest of those restrictions went into effect Jan. 24, nine days before the U.S. travel ban went into effect on Feb. 2. The U.S. travel restriction came a month after China first announced its outbreak and at a point when the United States and more than 20 other countries had already reported coronavirus cases. Several of those countries, including Germany and the United States, were already reporting local transmission of cases. Between the first official report of an outbreak in China and the announcement of U.S. travel restrictions, more than 40,000 travelers from China were estimated to have entered the United States.

The measure that the Trump administration implemented could not be described as a “ban” that “closed the country”: It only prohibited U.S. entry to foreign nationals who had visited China in the last 14 days. Americans and U.S. permanent residents returning from Hubei Province were still allowed, subject to a 14-day quarantine. After these policies were enacted, hundreds of thousands of travelers continued to arrive in the United States via direct flights from China. Until Feb. 27, no other travelers to the United States faced such travel restrictions and quarantine requirements — even if they were arriving from other nations that were reporting coronavirus cases.

Restricting flights from China did nothing to prevent the virus from arriving from other parts of the world. Genetic analyses have shown that the large epidemic that unfolded in New York was linked to travelers from Europe. In the early days of the U.S. epidemic, testing was restricted to people with a travel history to China, which limited the ability to detect locally the cases and infections among travelers from other countries.

By the time Trump expanded travel restrictions to Iran on Feb. 28 and to European nations on March 12, it was largely too late. By mid-March, the United States was approaching 2,000 confirmed cases and experiencing severe shortages in testing capacity that meant many infections likely went undiagnosed. The travel restriction did not initially apply to the United Kingdom, which already had hundreds of reported cases.

Before this pandemic, the World Health Organization had warned that travel bans contribute to “a false impression of control” — the misperception that a ban would stop the spread of disease. The reliance on travel bans over domestic readiness.

The combination of travel restrictions within China and international travel restrictions against China may have delayed the spread of the coronavirus across the globe in the first 50 days of this pandemic. Those delays were useful to nations such as New Zealand, Australia and Taiwan that used the opportunity to expand testing, contact tracing and other aggressive domestic measures to control the spread of the virus. The United States did not do so. Before March 1, U.S. public health departments conducted fewer than 100 tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That may be out of date now with the arrival of synthetics, most of which are mineral based.
    You would think so, but Castor is still rated as good or better in most extreme applications.
    up until the end of the 2ts in 500GP (ie the real actual top notch high output racers over 400HP per liter) not tthe farty noise wantabees.
    But despite what the stickers on the fairings said it was still mostly always castor from a company famous for it.
    That is not to say it doesn't have some drawbacks for daily use.
    it matters not anyway, as r650's point was rather silly considering the oils needed for the other source of energy. h'es throwing out a rather smelly red hearing
    http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy to see progress - but as you say 'in it's infancy' - so that's at least 10-15 years away from being a viable option, even with the rapid pace of development.
    It is at 5 minute charge now Using someones words against them is only effective it it is actually meaningful - your effort is pfffffft.
    10 to 15 years? They will probably have gone through 2 if not 3 completely different and better battery tech in that time.
    You really are a dino

Thread Information