Thread: Registering a classic bike thats never been registered

Bike
    Suzuki Minitan (OM50) 1978

Registering a classic bike thats never been registered

Hey guys this might be an interesting one. I have been collecting Suzuki Minitan (om50)'s recently and am currently in possession of 4 which are all in some state of disrepair.
    To cut a long story short I will soon have one complete bike and plan to get it road legal. The thing is these are all farm bikes which have likely never been used on the road.

I noticed this thread from 2015, but that seems to only be for bikes that have been registered before.

I assume I need an ownership form from a jp?
    Has anyone gone through this process before and how did it go?
    Thanks for any help, Calum.

ps. for anyone who doesn't know what this bike is as I have heard its somewhat rare? heres is a video I found on youtube.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Farm bike or not you will need to demonstrate that it met NZ safety standards when it entered the country to get it vinned. Safety standards aren’t uniform across the years, but your bike only needs to meet the standards at the time it entered the country and was first registered.

If it was never registered then I think there is chance it still can be vinned. As long as it is the same spec as those that were registered, you can argue it still qualifies for vin. If 100 OM50’s entered the country in 1982 and most were licenced for road use ( but yours wasn’t) then it shouldn’t matter. Yours was capable of being licenced so it should be fine.

You’ll have to go to Suzuki NZ or someone to prove all that of course.
    Ginge

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginge09 View Post
    Farm bike or not you will need to demonstrate that it met NZ safety standards when it entered the country to get it vinned. Safety standards aren’t uniform across the years, but your bike only needs to meet the standards at the time it entered the country and was first registered.

If it was never registered then I think there is chance it still can be vinned. As long as it is the same spec as those that were registered, you can argue it still qualifies for vin. If 100 OM50’s entered the country in 1982 and most were licenced for road use ( but yours wasn’t) then it shouldn’t matter. Yours was capable of being licenced so it should be fine.

You’ll have to go to Suzuki NZ or someone to prove all that of course.
    get it done asasp as i'm pretty sure if it was registered before it complies as built, but if done first time will have to have current standards added. ask your certifier, they ar the ones doing it, the waters can be murky here

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calum View Post
    The thing is these are all farm bikes which have likely never been used on the road.
    A lot of farm bikes WERE registered for use on roads near the various farms ... mostly for farm insurance purposes though.

There is a few threads in the KB forums on this subject. Might pay to dive in and go looking through. Once you've figured out how the search engine works though. Good luck with that.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information