Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1564

Thread: Jacinda

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    The left believes in everyone has nothing or everyone has everything there is no middle ground for them.
    You feel that you think someone else thinks a certain way....this doesn't sound conclusive now does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure this cunt has much capacity for thinking at all.

Beyond McFat Burger with fakeCheese and double fat fried potatoe sticks with extra salt and fat.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Jacindas legacy of inaction…
    Bullshit, that sort of thing has always happened under multiple different Governments.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Because that is equality mentality of the left. A person earning say 50k a year would say it’s unfair a “rich” person (in their eyes) is on same tax rate at 120k.
    It’s the same people who get shitty when someone wins 10million on powerball and say that the prize pool should never get that big it should be shared out every week instead of javkpotting.
    You cannot please some people.
    The left believes in everyone has nothing or everyone has everything there is no middle ground for them.
    You must know some odd people. Nobody I know says those things and I've worked with some pretty far out lefties.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Bullshit, that sort of thing has always happened under multiple different Governments.
    Yes and no - I agree that random acts of violence have always happened, however as someone who used to live around that area, I cannot recall a time where a child was assaulted outside the Glenfield Maccas.

Certainly can remember numerous fights around the seedier parts of Gfield, but those were generally from pissed up Adults (which doesn't make it 'right') and not a sober kid.

When i read that article last night, they mentioned the ethnicity of the Victim being a recent philipino migrant.

Curiously nothing was said about the ethnicity of the attackers. There's some inferences that I think can be drawn here. I will wait for confirmation though.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Yes and no - I agree that random acts of violence have always happened, however as someone who used to live around that area, I cannot recall a time where a child was assaulted outside the Glenfield Maccas.

Certainly can remember numerous fights around the seedier parts of Gfield, but those were generally from pissed up Adults (which doesn't make it 'right') and not a sober kid.

When i read that article last night, they mentioned the ethnicity of the Victim being a recent philipino migrant.

Curiously nothing was said about the ethnicity of the attackers. There's some inferences that I think can be drawn here. I will wait for confirmation though.
    I think most people would consider the problem to be worse than it has previously been, I can't recall people being beaten up and having things stolen outside westfield riccarton being a problem until recently, now it certainly is to the point of some schools telling their students not to go there in uniform to avoid being subject to vioience.

Saw an interesting discussion the other day regarding the increase in this sort of behaviour, one of the contributing factors identified was the normalising by social media, and the lack of consequences if actually identified. The other notable thing was that when something like this happens the most common response is to get out the phone and start filming, rather than any attempt to intervene to help the victim.

Not sure that the ethnicity of the attackers or the victims is relevant to the prevalence of this type of incident, in any case they probably weren't able to speak to the attackers to find out the details of their ethnic background and how it relates to their desire to beat up 12 year olds, but accusations of racism would be highly possible even if it was only reporting verifiable fact.

Don't know if we can entirely blame the current government, but you can probably include them along with normalising of violence in various media, previous parenting philosophies which removed consequences from actions, and a narrowing self interested view with diminishing empathy for other humans.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I think most people would consider the problem to be worse than it has previously been, I can't recall people being beaten up and having things stolen outside westfield riccarton being a problem until recently, now it certainly is to the point of some schools telling their students not to go there in uniform to avoid being subject to vioience.
    It's definitely gotten worse. I was having this chat with someone the other day, who happens to work primarily in Childcare - something she mentioned was that the Children we are seeing grow up now are being raised by Parents who grew up after the Anti-Smacking bill became law - She had some spicy observations around discipline in kids before and after that legislation came into effect.

She also mentioned cultural things - for example, I can remember growing up that if I was being a shit in public, it wouldn't be unheard of to be told off by an adult who wasn't my parent, same with giving a kid a smack in public in the 90s wasn't the big taboo it is now.

It was her belief (and I don't entirely disagree with her) that part of the problem is that the increase in social issues has been due to a lack of corporal discipline amongst kids.

To give the debate the other side though, I have a different friend who works in the courts and they say that the bill meant that parents who abused their kids (actual abuse, not just a clip round the ear) were no longer able to use discipline as a defense and so it's been good.

I'm guilty of sitting somewhere on the middle on this issue. I see the arguments both ways,

Saw an interesting discussion the other day regarding the increase in this sort of behaviour, one of the contributing factors identified was the normalising by social media, and the lack of consequences if actually identified. The other notable thing was that when something like this happens the most common response is to get out the phone and start filming, rather than any attempt to intervene to help the victim.
    I don't buy the normalization behavior to be honest.

First it was Jazz corrupting our youth, then Rock and Roll, then Heavy Metal, then Violent movies, then Violent video games etc. etc.

However - on the point about filming something to get internet clout rather than help and get caught up - I agree 1000% with you on that. Something very wrong has happened in our culture where this is the behavior that people choose to take.

Not sure that the ethnicity of the attackers or the victims is relevant to the prevalence of this type of incident, in any case they probably weren't able to speak to the attackers to find out the details of their ethnic background and how it relates to their desire to beat up 12 year olds, but accusations of racism would be highly possible even if it was only reporting verifiable fact.
    I'm waiting for the facts - but let me say this - if it was someone of a caucasion persuasion, then it is likely that this would be found out rather quickly and it would be plastered all over the headlines and the accusation of Hate Crime would be leveled squarely at the attackers.

That leads me to suspect what the ethnicity and gender of the attackers is.

Don't know if we can entirely blame the current government, but you can probably include them along with normalising of violence in various media, previous parenting philosophies which removed consequences from actions, and a narrowing self interested view with diminishing empathy for other humans.
    I think the 3 areas you can absolutely blame the current government for is:

1: Making things economically worse for everyone.
    2: Targetting otherwise law-abiding citizens with harsh penalties, whilst simultaneously going soft on serious crime.
    3: Divisions in society - whether that's on racial lines with the likes of 3waters and co-governance, Medical lines with Vaccine passes etc. or the other areas where there has been a 'good' and 'bad' narrative pushed by the Government.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You must know some odd people. Nobody I know says those things and I've worked with some pretty far out lefties.
    I have several very good friends who are radically left - and I've heard those exact sentiments before.

Probably (no offence) a generational thing.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-ba...ention-imposed

“ young man who stole $15,000 worth of clothing from a store, attacked a person with gardening pruners and smashed a windscreen has been released from jail - and put on home detention instead.

The judge who re-sentenced him says that Free Usher Dani Wiki, who was 21 at the time of his most recent offending, is a young and vulnerable man, having regard to his personal background.

High Court Justice Jonathan Eaton said care needed to be taken to reduce the chance of Wiki coming out of prison a “more hardened criminal” than before.

In May this year, Wiki was sentenced to two years and three months in prison for burglary, assault with a weapon, intentional damage, receiving, driving while disqualified, breaching intensive supervision and community work, and failing to answer bail.

Wiki’s assault conviction related to an unprovoked attack on a man he knew in December 2021, when he struck the victim four hard blows to the head with a pair of long-handled pruners. He then smashed the windscreen of his victim’s car using the same weapon.

On January 30, 2022, a Honda Odyssey car was stolen in Napier.

Wiki was sentenced by District Court Judge Michael Turner, who is based in Dunedin, who began with a starting point of 53 months in prison for all the offences, which he reduced without comment to 36 months.

He noted that Wiki had a troubled background, having been born into a family with close gang involvement and exposure to violence that the judge accepted would have shaped his mindset.

Taking into account Wiki’s guilty plea, rehabilitative steps already taken, seven months on a 24-hour curfew while on bail and six months on a night-time curfew, the judge allowed a 25 per cent discount. This reduced the 36 months in prison to 27 months.

Wiki appealed against this sentence to the High Court on numerous grounds.

Justice Eaton reviewed the sentence and adjusted the starting point to 35 months in prison. With uplifts for Wiki’s prior offending and credits for his personal factors, he arrived at a sentence of 26 months.

He then allowed a further three-month reduction to reflect the time Wiki spent on restrictive bail conditions, leading to an end sentence of 23 months in prison.

This brought the sentence to below the two-year threshold at which home detention can be considered instead of prison.

ustice Eaton said, in considering whether to commute the prison sentence to home detention, he was mindful of Section 16 of the Sentencing Act, which directs judges to consider keeping offenders in the community “as far as that is practicable and consonant with the safety of the community”.

“Most particularly, I am mindful that Mr Wiki is a young man who, having regard to his personal background, is vulnerable,” Justice Eaton said.

“In my view, care needs to be taken to reduce the prospect of Mr Wiki emerging from prison a more hardened criminal than when he was taken into custody.”

Justice Eaton noted that Wiki had already served two months in prison, quashed his jail term, and imposed a new sentence of nine months of home detention.

Before his latest offending, Wiki had accumulated five convictions for disqualified driving and had prior convictions for burglary, failing to answer bail and receiving stolen property.“

Bike
    husaberg
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-ba...ention-imposed

“ young man who stole $15,000 worth of clothing from a store, attacked a person with gardening pruners and smashed a windscreen has been released from jail - and put on home detention instead.

The judge who re-sentenced him says that Free Usher Dani Wiki, who was 21 at the time of his most recent offending, is a young and vulnerable man, having regard to his personal background.

High Court Justice Jonathan Eaton said care needed to be taken to reduce the chance of Wiki coming out of prison a “more hardened criminal” than before.

In May this year, Wiki was sentenced to two years and three months in prison for burglary, assault with a weapon, intentional damage, receiving, driving while disqualified, breaching intensive supervision and community work, and failing to answer bail.

Wiki’s assault conviction related to an unprovoked attack on a man he knew in December 2021, when he struck the victim four hard blows to the head with a pair of long-handled pruners. He then smashed the windscreen of his victim’s car using the same weapon.

On January 30, 2022, a Honda Odyssey car was stolen in Napier.

Wiki was sentenced by District Court Judge Michael Turner, who is based in Dunedin, who began with a starting point of 53 months in prison for all the offences, which he reduced without comment to 36 months.

He noted that Wiki had a troubled background, having been born into a family with close gang involvement and exposure to violence that the judge accepted would have shaped his mindset.

Taking into account Wiki’s guilty plea, rehabilitative steps already taken, seven months on a 24-hour curfew while on bail and six months on a night-time curfew, the judge allowed a 25 per cent discount. This reduced the 36 months in prison to 27 months.

Wiki appealed against this sentence to the High Court on numerous grounds.

Justice Eaton reviewed the sentence and adjusted the starting point to 35 months in prison. With uplifts for Wiki’s prior offending and credits for his personal factors, he arrived at a sentence of 26 months.

He then allowed a further three-month reduction to reflect the time Wiki spent on restrictive bail conditions, leading to an end sentence of 23 months in prison.

This brought the sentence to below the two-year threshold at which home detention can be considered instead of prison.

ustice Eaton said, in considering whether to commute the prison sentence to home detention, he was mindful of Section 16 of the Sentencing Act, which directs judges to consider keeping offenders in the community “as far as that is practicable and consonant with the safety of the community”.

“Most particularly, I am mindful that Mr Wiki is a young man who, having regard to his personal background, is vulnerable,” Justice Eaton said.

“In my view, care needs to be taken to reduce the prospect of Mr Wiki emerging from prison a more hardened criminal than when he was taken into custody.”

Justice Eaton noted that Wiki had already served two months in prison, quashed his jail term, and imposed a new sentence of nine months of home detention.

Before his latest offending, Wiki had accumulated five convictions for disqualified driving and had prior convictions for burglary, failing to answer bail and receiving stolen property.“
    Justice Eaton was a QC prior to becoming a high court judge. He represented Mark Lundy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    young man who stole $15,000 worth of clothing from a store, attacked a person with gardening pruners and smashed a windscreen has been released from jail - and put on home detention instead.
    We blaming Jacinda for that as well are we? Home detention was brought in long before she was PM. I distinctly recall though that when home detention was introduced we were told that it would not be used for violent offenders. Yeah right!

Periodic detention has become problematic too. The guys who supervise the work didn't get assaulted previously because people on PD were there for driving offences or theft. Now there are seriously bad bastards on PD and assaults are more frequent.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    We blaming Jacinda for that as well are we? Home detention was brought in long before she was PM. I distinctly recall though that when home detention was introduced we were told that it would not be used for violent offenders. Yeah right!
    It's the expansion of Home D to people who it shouldn't be applied to Under Jacinda specifically due to the radical left-wing notions about Crime, Inequality and Injustice that are fundamentally wrong.

I'm not a huge fan of Home D - but I can accept that for some minor offences where going to Prison is too severe and a Fine is too light that an intermediate form of punishment is acceptable.

I've known, tangentially, of some people who have gone through the process who are otherwise okay people who just did something very silly one-time. Would society have been better off if those individuals were in prison? probably not.

The issue here though is that it's not a marginal case. Even if I concede all the points being made as the justification for it, it's still wrong to do so.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    One of the definitions of terrorism is the use of violence to effect political goals…

Now in this country we’ve had some ugly protests at times but we’ve always reflected the rights of others to express their views. Stuff is starting to get out of hand thanks to Jacindas legacy…

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    One of the definitions of terrorism is the use of violence to effect political goals…

Now in this country we’ve had some ugly protests at times but we’ve always reflected the rights of others to express their views. Stuff is starting to get out of hand thanks to Jacindas legacy…
    So you're ok with violent protests, then? So you must be equally alright with the protestees (who would probably be the Government) using violence back against the protesters? BTW the Springbok tour violence was way before Jacindas time but yeah, no problem blaming her for that, eh?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information