Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutoro automatic chain oiler

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

Tutoro automatic chain oiler

A while ago I purchased, installed and rode with a Tutoro automatic chain oiler. It's been about 4,000 kms so far, haven't been through a chain and sprocket set change yet. I haven't used a Scottoiler or any of the other similar systems for continual chain oiling.

The Tutoro is an unusual chain oiler in that it doesn't have any interface with the bike aside from bolting it on. It doesn't need either a vacuum feed or connection into the electrical system. It works by bumps: there's a weighted plunger and a valve system, with a single needle valve for controlling oil flow. The plunger is marked as sensitive - do not touch - and nothing inside the reservoir / housing is user serviceable. Once bolted as rigidly to the bike frame as possible, a plastic hose is routed to the rear sprocket and a shark fin with a single nozzle is directed at the chain's entry point on the rear sprocket.

Tutoro supply simple, clear and comprehensive instructions with the oiler, making fitting (if you're reasonably handy) very clear. There is a fitting kit supplied but I wasn't satisfied with this and fabricated my own specific bracket out of a bit of stainless sheetmetal. Deciding where and how to fit it took about two hours. There are three main requirements for mounting the oiler:

a) rigidly attached to the frame
    b) as vertically as possible
    c) somewhere it won't get clouted by the swingarm's full travel

It's also got to be placed somewhere that it won't interfere with luggage, get cooked by a header, or heeled by a boot or similar. So placement on some bikes can get a bit tricky. I've chosen to set the adjustment knob inboard, requiring reaching across the inside of the rear behind the engine in order to make an adjustment, but this way the needle valve is protected against contact from a boot.

Tutoro themselves are clear that nothing should be used with this oiler except their own specific oil. No ATF or 90 weight. That sounds a lot like a preferred business model and locking the customer in, but the oil they supply isn't all that expensive and I'm finding that one bottle lasts quite a few months worth of dedicated riding.

Tutoro mention the single nozzle specifically in the instructions: they supplied twin fork type nozzles earlier but found in practice that single point works very nearly as well while being significantly more robust and reliable. The oil migrates sideways across and inside the chain, and on teeth surfaces of sprockets. I found in practice that this is true: the contact surfaces of the chain receive even oiling. The side plates don't, but sufficient oil makes it across to the inboard chain plate that it does get a film and so gets corrosion protection.

Adjustment is simple and yet finicky. There's only the one valve to turn. There are lots of variables: how hot is the day, how bumpy is the road, how hard is the rider going to cane the bike across those bumps... anyway I found that although perfect adjustment is impossible, good enough adjustment is easy. The chain should be filmed with oil but not flingy; there should be enough oil flow that dirt gets thrown off, or oil replaced as it is washed off in rain. Everyone using these will have their own preferred adjustment setting. I found mine was about 1/4 out from closed, maybe a little more open than that.

All this said, it's set and forget. You don't have to press a plunger or turn a dial while riding, or turn the thing off once you stop. It oils if there's a bump. That's all, so it might be a good idea to turn it off completely if trailering a bike - it's not responsive to engine revs, chain speed, water splash or similar, just bumps.

Chain life is something I haven't yet tested personally. The wisdom with chain oilers (of any type) is that chain life goes through the roof: 20,000 km's with spray on lubricants, 70,000+ with an oiler if correctly set up. I don't see any reason to doubt this sort of chain lifetime with the Tutoro and its specific oil. The big advantage here is steady, continuous oiling. The chain is always given a light film of oil, replenished constantly. Using an aerosol, it's deluged before a ride and dry afterwards (I've seen this on my bikes many times).

Another virtue is the absence of wax, or lubricant anti-fling binder: I got curious once and put a hacksaw through the center of an old chain's pin bushing to see what was inside the O-ring seals. I'd been conscientious about cleaning with kero and re-lubing from the aerosol as per the suggested schedule. What I found was not encouraging: not one trace of original grease, or lubricant of any kind. The pin bushing was completely packed with tarry glue. Not good. Hopefully I'll avoid this scenario but it'll take sectioning an old chain to verify this.

Chain fling is a reality. There's a drip from the front sprocket / chainguard area, while parked overnight, and the rear wheel and most of the rear quarter of the bike gets spray marked. This is much easier to clean off than the usual tacky aerosol lubricant though, one or two quick passes with a noodle sponge and some water soluble degreaser and everything's clean again. It really doesn't take much to clean up. Excessive oiling would result in fling going onto the grip surface of the rear tyre but I haven't seen this so far.

I'd bought the oiler as preparation for an extended trip. A major advantage of these oilers (any brand) is that multi-day rides don't require spending time cleaning and relubing the chain, or riding with a dry chain. The oiler is topped up again if necessary. Maybe the rear wheel is cleaned up a bit. That's all that would be needed. The particular tour that this was initially used on covered around 3,000 kms, during which the oiler needed a top up once. That was all. I had to go over the chain with kero, a brush and a rag when I got back, but the entire bike needed a clean anyway. The photos are of the state of the bike on return. It had been clean when I set out.

Tutoro also mention that if a spray lubricant has been used, it's best to clean the chain thoroughly before starting use of the oiler. I didn't follow this advice: maybe the oil would soften the existing spray-on lube and it'd fling off? In the end I wished I'd gone over everything and done a thorough clean, front sprocket, chain guards and swingarm guides included. It'd have been easier overall.

Overall: slightly expensive to purchase, a bit of a fuss to set up, has made life a lot easier, wish I'd done this years ago. It's a great little accessory and well worth the money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3541.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	348404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3543.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	348403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3548.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	348401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3546.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	437.9 KB 
ID:	348402  
    Last edited by OddDuck; 14th February 2021 at 19:05. Reason: requirements for mounting

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    I've been running a Scottoiler on my 2017 Tiger XCa since new.

The reservoir is mounted on the rear sub-frame adjacent to the left rear pinion peg at about a 30 degree angle. This means it's a pain to refill because the filler hole is on the inside and difficult to see and it's also impossible to fill to the top. Best I get is about 90% full.

I find that Motomuck easily cleans off the excess sprayed oil from the plastic chain guard when I hose it off.

I have done over 50K and the chain and sprockets are still looking fairly pristine.

So I am a firm convert to automatic chain oiler systems!

Sent from my OnePlus7T using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Been running a Tutoro on my 1090R for probably 7k+ now, after a mate highly recommended one (he was running on a 1190R). Think he's done 80+k on the original chain and sprockets - unheard of to me. I've run scottoilers on multiple bikes (and one is fitted to the CB919), but I'm so slack I even let those run out...

All the positives, installation was OK even for a numpty like me - although I mostly copied my mates pics. It runs through the swingarm from the right side (staying away from the header, KTM advice is right side), down it, then curls around on the top side, dropping oil to the sprocket, which transfers to the chain. Advantage in my case is it keeps the tube out of harms way or catching on something as the KTM definitely doesn't stay on the road (bought for the purpose of adventuring). Mine is probably turned somewhere around 1 full turn out, varies a bit, but using more oil to wash off dust/mud/whatever is preferable to running too dry.

You can indeed run other oil (obviously they recommend their blend, like scottoiler does) and it's not a sensitive wee poppet like the scottoiler is. To this end, my mate and I use Castrol cutter bar and chain lube - https://www.bunnings.co.nz/castrol-c...64186_p0629777
    Very economical of course. Even has niceties like minimising fling. Just trickier to see in the tube as it's not dark.

Just remember to keep the breather hole in the black cap clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Had one of these fitted to the A Twin when I got her at 9000K;s. Done 18000 K's now and haven't used all of the oil I can get into the Tutoro!
    Don't lose your magnet, comes in handy for priming if you do literally run it dry.
    Would recommend to anyone, they simply work.
    I use their oil and get a bit of splash on the rear rim, nothing to be concerned about.
    Worth every cent.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Been running a Tutoro on my 1090R for probably 7k+ now, after a mate highly recommended one (he was running on a 1190R). Think he's done 80+k on the original chain and sprockets - unheard of to me. I've run scottoilers on multiple bikes (and one is fitted to the CB919), but I'm so slack I even let those run out...

All the positives, installation was OK even for a numpty like me - although I mostly copied my mates pics. It runs through the swingarm from the right side (staying away from the header, KTM advice is right side), down it, then curls around on the top side, dropping oil to the sprocket, which transfers to the chain. Advantage in my case is it keeps the tube out of harms way or catching on something as the KTM definitely doesn't stay on the road (bought for the purpose of adventuring). Mine is probably turned somewhere around 1 full turn out, varies a bit, but using more oil to wash off dust/mud/whatever is preferable to running too dry.

You can indeed run other oil (obviously they recommend their blend, like scottoiler does) and it's not a sensitive wee poppet like the scottoiler is. To this end, my mate and I use Castrol cutter bar and chain lube - https://www.bunnings.co.nz/castrol-c...64186_p0629777
    Very economical of course. Even has niceties like minimising fling. Just trickier to see in the tube as it's not dark.

Just remember to keep the breather hole in the black cap clear.
    Thanks for the tip. I ordered two bottles of the Tutoro branded oil with my oiler; it'll be good to have the Castrol as a go-to for later and it's something local as well.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I ordered two bottles of the Tutoro branded oil with my oiler; it'll be good to have the Castrol as a go-to for later and it's something local as well.
    I've just started filling it with the Castrol instead, so they're mixed in. Didn't have the Castrol when I mounted and primed. It's slowly getting lighter in colour...
    Kept all the Tutoro oil in case I need it for something later.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I've just ordered one which I'll fit to my DR650. I like the simplicity of it and the lower price compared to a Scottoiler, especially the X-system ones I've fitted to a few bikes in recent years.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I might try one although I am still unsure what it does to make the chain last longer. I am about to replace the chain on the R1 because some X-rings have failed. The sprockets are still only slightly worn at 50,000 km.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Who sells them in NZ? Looks like Fastbikegear normally have them but only have the optional nozzle listed.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Who sells them in NZ? Looks like Fastbikegear normally have them but only have the optional nozzle listed.
    I've just bought the optional nozzle at the moment. I'll look to buy the unit itself from the Tutoro website direct.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I went direct - delivery wasn't too long, about two weeks or so.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Fastbikegear is no longer a dealer, I went direct.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    I went direct - delivery wasn't too long, about two weeks or so.
    Cool - I've now done the same. Here's hoping it doesn't take too long in the current climate.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Blimey! It's already arrived. A week or so from the UK. That's impressive!

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've had a second unit arrive in similar time. Very impressed given the international situation.

Just a question for other owners, has anyone else found a bit of settling in and use is needed for the valves to shut off properly once the bike is stationary? I'd fitted the second Tutoro but haven't take the bike for a ride because busy, primed and left valve 1/4 turn out as per the first, found a leaky oil patch on the floor under the rear sprocket. I've shut the valve again for now.

There's no issue with the first bike behaving like this, it's working perfectly.

Thread Information