Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tutoro automatic chain oiler

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I've been using a Tutoro since just after buying my bike, now around 25k of riding with it installed. The reservoir is good for a couple of thousand km of riding between fill-ups. Definitely nice to be able to just ride and only top up a reservoir occasionally. I've been using their chain syrup but I might buy some of that chain bar oil. I'm generally using 1-turn out on the knob for hot weather, 1.5 turns for cold weather and 1.25 turns for in-between weather.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2017 Honda NC750 SA

Tutoro housed in front sprocket cover

Hi, first post on the forum. I don't know how to rotate the pics, sorry.

Having been satisfied with a Tutoro on my Tiger 955i I decided to fit one on my present bike, a 2017 Honda NC750S. After thinking about siting and oil delivery options I opted to purchase a spare front sprocket cover from a bike breaker and modify it to house the Tutoro.

I've only had this fitted for about 5000 miles, but so far it is working as it did on the Triumph. It doesn't foul my boot (see pic of the view downwards from the seat, the Tutoro can be seen just forward of the gearchange lever.). It is protected by being tucked under the frame rail, the heatshield keeps it just warm even when I've just been hammering the bike for a while, and there's enough headspace to lift off the cap for re-filling.

The pics don't show this properly, but the unit is vertical when the bike is. The cover (with my TegraGuard logo on it) gives access to the delivery nozzle for adjustment. The pic shows the arrangement of a stainless 4mm cable gland gripping the delivery tube. The gland nut wasn't tightened for the pic, but I've found that finger tight is fine.

The two holes in the sprocket cover allow finger and thumb access for flow adjustment, but the knob is otherwise protected.

It can't be seen, but the Tutoro is mounted rigidly on a metal bracket welded onto the sprocket cover stiffening plate. The bracket is designed to allow bike accelerations ("bumps") to activate the Tutoro properly, but to be clear of the chainway and sprocket run.

The cover, after being cut away enough to accept the Tutoro was modified using standard glassfibre technique moulded on a suitable former. In this case the centre cardboard tube from a toilet roll. The cover, like the other Honda trim, is made from thermoplastic, which self-releases from epoxy resin, so the cover edges at the fibreglass junction have to be perforated to provide a mechanical anchor.

I know the arguments about front versus rear sprocket delivery options, but in my experience both options produce similar amounts of oil-fling on the rear tyre and gloop-drips on the garage undertray from around the front sprocket cover.

Phew, long post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto oiler pic 3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	514.5 KB 
ID:	353749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto oiler pic 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	353748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto oiler pic 4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	353750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto oiler pic 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	353751  

Thread Information