Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Intenet vs Hedge Fund

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Soros did it in 1992 with an entire country. It likely happens far more often than is reported and is a fantastic waste of human talent.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    Soros did it in 1992 with an entire country. It likely happens far more often than is reported and is a fantastic waste of human talent.
    Soros played with currency hedges, that's a little different. But just proves that one person can be difference between a good day or a bad day.

Seriously speaking, if it was a billionaire investor who had played this game (instead of many retail investors) and made profit (or ended up buying out GME completely). That billionaire would be hailed a hero, a savvy investor. It's only a problem when someone else figures out how the game is played by hedge funds, and then use it against them.

I enjoy the stock market and what it has to offer, but do not agree with the hedge fund philosophy. We are not allowed to sell something we don't own, but it's legal for hedge funds to do. I understand the logic behind it, but it needs more checks and balances than what is available in US at present.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Soros played with currency hedges, that's a little different. But just proves that one person can be difference between a good day or a bad day.

Seriously speaking, if it was a billionaire investor who had played this game (instead of many retail investors) and made profit (or ended up buying out GME completely). That billionaire would be hailed a hero, a savvy investor. It's only a problem when someone else figures out how the game is played by hedge funds, and then use it against them.

I enjoy the stock market and what it has to offer, but do not agree with the hedge fund philosophy. We are not allowed to sell something we don't own, but it's legal for hedge funds to do. I understand the logic behind it, but it needs more checks and balances than what is available in US at present.
    A short is a result, was more my point. Lots of ways to do achieve one no doubt as it's all about knocking/enhancing confidence enough to make things go your way innit (cryptos/stocks/financial instrument etc... all gameable where the numbers exist.)... but as you say, likely ever so slightly frowned upon for the Robin Hoods (not the gamestop crowds) of the world.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post

I've no problem per se with the way they operate now, the part I have a problem with is the Hedge Funds crying when the same tactics they use are deployed against them.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I've no problem per se with the way they operate now, the part I have a problem with is the Hedge Funds crying when the same tactics they use are deployed against them.
    Institutional investors, pension funds and such use hedge fund returns to make money. They are not common in NZ and Australia, but they certainly do exist.

Thread Information