Thread: Aprilia STX150/ETX150 or Yahama YS125?

Bike
    nothing, yet.

Question Aprilia STX150/ETX150 or Yahama YS125?

Will be going for my learner motorcycle licence in a couple weeks. Been browsing around for a bike to purchase on a budget.

I've tried to find some other bikes around this price point ($3000) but haven't been able to find any other decent options.

Which bike would be the better option between the Aprilia STX150, Aprilia ETX150 or Yahama YS125?

It will be used for commuting around the city.

Cheers.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    It's hard to say really without knowing a few more details such as how tall/heavy you are, whether you've ridden before, where your nearest dealers are and so on.

The Yamaha is probably a better known quantity but the Aprilias seem to be fairly well thought of too. It's worth noting that you don't want to spend too much on this machine as you'll likely not hold on to it for too long as you may well grow out of it quite quickly.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    It's hard to say really without knowing a few more details such as how tall/heavy you are, whether you've ridden before, where your nearest dealers are and so on.

The Yamaha is probably a better known quantity but the Aprilias seem to be fairly well thought of too. It's worth noting that you don't want to spend too much on this machine as you'll likely not hold on to it for too long as you may well grow out of it quite quickly.
    Wot 'e said.

A 150 isn't really an open road bike, you'll out grow it pretty quickly. If it meets your immediate needs, fine, but those needs will change fairly quickly as you gain confidence.

Sooner or later you'll want to use the motorway, and in my experience, those bikes aren't really motorway capable.

I'm a big fan of the 300 cc range, but they might not be in your budget. A good 250 is also an option.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    A 150 is great if you want to pootle around town and occasionally use 70-80km/h roads.

I bought a GSX150 as a temporary run around prior to the first lockdown. It did its job, but I had to fully tap it out for sustained periods during my 20+ km motorway run.

As soon as the first lockdown was over, I swapped it for an R3. As a bonus, I've now gone from 4k to 10k service intervals, so if you're not technically minded, it can actually be a false economy running with a small bike when you take some of those other costs into account.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    A 150 is great if you want to pootle around town and occasionally use 70-80km/h roads.

I bought a GSX150 as a temporary run around prior to the first lockdown. It did its job, but I had to fully tap it out for sustained periods during my 20+ km motorway run.

As soon as the first lockdown was over, I swapped it for an R3. As a bonus, I've now gone from 4k to 10k service intervals, so if you're not technically minded, it can actually be a false economy running with a small bike when you take some of those other costs into account.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    That's a good point about the service intervals. Plus a 150 will be working really hard if you use it on the open roads or motorways for any length of time whereas a 300+cc machine will have more in reserve. As others have said the 150 machines are fine in an urban environment but as soon as you head outside town/city limits then their limitations become very evident very quickly.

By way of context I'd quite happily ride a 300-400cc machine even though I have access to far larger-engined machines. Their combination of light weight and peppy performance is fabulous and you'll struggle to beat it when you do eventually move up the cc ladder. In a lot of ways they represent a sweet spot between low running costs and weight, manageability and reasonable performance too. Plus they're good on fuel to boot. What's not to like?

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiep View Post
    Will be going for my learner motorcycle licence in a couple weeks. Been browsing around for a bike to purchase on a budget.

I've tried to find some other bikes around this price point ($3000) but haven't been able to find any other decent options.

Which bike would be the better option between the Aprilia STX150, Aprilia ETX150 or Yahama YS125?

It will be used for commuting around the city.

Cheers.
    Personally if I was looking at a 150cc commuter I'd be getting a Suzuki FXR150 IF (and I stress IF) you can find one, unfortunately they make awesome bucket racers so finding road registered ones is getting harder every day.
    While they're a 150cc they can still hit high way speeds and wont cost the full 3k of your budget for something you'll outgrow quickly.

Other than that you could easily pick up a Hyosung 250 in that price bracket which for the money will do you well and is something you could keep until you get your full.

I managed to pick up a R3 with 22000ks recently for 3900, it was a steal at that price but you if you can stretch the extra you should be able to get a 300cc bike of some sort for around 4-4500. The market is crazy right now though so if you see a bike you like pounce on it straight away.

Can't advise on the bikes you're asking about, but I'd imagine its much of a muchness, the extra 25cc's of the Aprillia probably is the go though.

Thread Information