Thread: Track day advice, Pukekohe

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer

Track day advice, Pukekohe

kia ora

im looking into track days at Pukekohe for cars.. i see on the official website that you can turn up with your road legal tin top and get out there for a few
    laps. My question is, do these days include a bit of tuition?

The idea is to shout my teenage son a track day for his next birthday, mainly to advance his car handling skills and therefore enhance his road driving skills etc etc.
    ive known of others who've done them and tuition was included.. ie, a guided lap then an accompanied lap and so forth, but i dont know if that was arranged
    via their car club kinda thing.

would the boy be best to join a car club and go along with them or wll the regular track days suffice?

For what its worth he's Turning 19 this march, has a restricted licence and drives a baisc 1500cc manual pulsar.

any constructive advice appreciated!

Cheers
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    BMW were running training sessions at tracks but they might cost rather more than you were anticipating. Holden did something similar at rather less, but still not inconsiderabe, expense.

http://www.holden-driving.co.nz/Course/pricing.htm
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Thanks for that Pritch.. looks pretty good, i was aware of driver training courses being about that price.. its worth it im sure
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Usually its car clubs that add a bit of structure around it, skills etc, like Lotus, if not the commerical providers.

Track days are exactly that, here's the track, your session is up, out you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Usually its car clubs that add a bit of structure around it, skills etc, like Lotus, if not the commerical providers.

Track days are exactly that, here's the track, your session is up, out you go.
    My contact has done a number of days with BMW, he was very enthisiastic about the experience but then he is a "BMW ambassador ." He suggested I point out that all tuition is in new BMWs. A phone call to BMW NZ should elicit up to date info.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    My contact has done a number of days with BMW, he was very enthisiastic about the experience but then he is a "BMW ambassador ." He suggested I point out that all tuition is in new BMWs. A phone call to BMW NZ should elicit up to date info.
    Have you demonstrated to your BMW contact your ability to ride around over hill and dale everywhere outside ciity limits at 170kmp then fall in ditches pritch?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Many moons ago I did a Track day at Pukekohe - it was an outfit that was aimed at young drivers, You showed up - drove their Cars, had some tuition, did some hazard avoidance drills and did a mock racing lap around the circuit with 2 drivers (so to experience the closeness of actual racing).

I can't remember who the company was or if they are still going, but it would seem to me that there'll be something similar.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Other premium car brands do the same (Audi etc) to suck you in wrap the branding around you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    thanks for input folks... i half expected that car club or vehicularly biased mobs would have a bit more action involved.
    i know he would still enjoy any kinda track time... but some kinda advice on lines and braking points would be choice.

anyone remember the Nissan advanced driver training schools that went around 30 years ago? nissan sentras set up in a cradle that simulated different conditions and hazards etc

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Many moons ago I did a Track day at Pukekohe - it was an outfit that was aimed at young drivers, You showed up - drove their Cars, had some tuition, did some hazard avoidance drills and did a mock racing lap around the circuit with 2 drivers (so to experience the closeness of actual racing).

I can't remember who the company was or if they are still going, but it would seem to me that there'll be something similar.

what youve just described sounds like the ideal, i might have to google advanced driver stuff........

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Thread Information