Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fines on an unregistered bike.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I just almost choked on my morning capochino.
    ...such a pity it didn't come to fruition...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...such a pity it didn't come to fruition...
    Must share the love. Sorry goldilocks you don`t get a nice red rose today.

And you need to do something with that anger issue you have. It'ts been reported Dr Phil have a few spare session available this week.

Just saying....

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    I'm assuming that parking tickets are not that same as police tickets, so they go to the council? The parking wardens are hired by the councils to manage parking, so wardens don't have to look for bikes to ticket for old or missing reg/wof. The wardens I've seen chalk car tires and stuff but never look at the car's reg/wof.

Soooooo...

bikes in most of the world get to park for free without a time restriction like P60 or whatever. For councils to get money from motorcyclists, they go for the reg/wof and whatever they can - low tire tread, missing mirrors? I'll wager that if you're on a bike with an old or missing reg/wof and you park in town during the day, you're odds of getting ticketed are higher than if your car was missing those things.
    Bullshit. And if you get caught with no reg/wof tough shit and cough up.

Just saying....

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I'll wager that if you're on a bike with an old or missing reg/wof and you park in town during the day, you're odds of getting ticketed are higher than if your car was missing those things.
    Not where I live. The Council always wants more money, so they check all vehicles on council parking spaces for warrant and rego issuing a ticket if they find anything expired. The constabulary may consider compliance, the council don't.

One little ray of sunshine, two people I worked with who received tickets for expired warrants, wrote to the council pointing out that the vehicle was legally parked and as such the council had no right to check further and in doing so the council staff had breached the Privacy Act. It worked both times.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSXR1000
    The wardens I've seen chalk car tires and stuff but never look at the car's reg/wof.
    Here in Christchurch they do. They even send them out to the suburbs checking all vehicles parked on streets.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Mainly just around the city district here at the moment.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfOfCanaryWharf View Post
    Howdy all,

I was being a prat and went out briefly to road-test some recent work done myself on a 400cc (LAMS), parked up for a bit and of course Auckland Transport pinged it for being unregistered ($200) because I'm not quite ready to get everything legal in one sitting.

Now, the bike isn't registered to me (although I legally own it, transfer/sale doc signed by local police a while ago). They didn't have it towed or anything.

Are they going to flag this in some way? The plate on it has long since expired (early 2000s) and there was nothing on the bike to ID me.

Obviously, I when I re-reg it wont be the same plate issued.

Cheers,
    Another ... I got a ticket ... how do I get off it Thread.

(1) If you parked in a free parking area ... odds are ... Auckland parking probably wouldn't look at it. Did you overstay the time limit .. ??

(2) You say it "Got Pinged" for $200. Did you get the ticket .. left on the seat ?? A witness or security camera footage of you receiving the "Ticket" might not be in your favour.

(3) Vehicle records go back further than the "early 2000's" (and will be in the system). If you intend to register it in the future ... Vin/chassis/engine/rego number (proof it Was previously registered in NZ) will be required to re-register it. Start cooking up a good story about when (and how) it came into your possession.

And I am surprised it didn't get "Towed" ... and/or impounded. A newbie traffic parking ticket writer probably.

A "Real man" would suck it up and pay the fine. YOU own it ... you parked it up ... your problem.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Here in Christchurch they do. They even send them out to the suburbs checking all vehicles parked on streets.
    The little Hitlers are Nationwide. No Council areas (with parking wardens) are immune.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The little Hitlers are Nationwide. No Council areas (with parking wardens) are immune.
    The revenue split is what makes it attractive for councils to run parking departments. If the council made no money from parking they couldn't afford a parking department.

As much as we all bag them, its necessary, as people can behave however they want if not held to account.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The revenue split is what makes it attractive for councils to run parking departments. If the council made no money from parking they couldn't afford a parking department.

As much as we all bag them, its necessary, as people can behave however they want if not held to account.
    And it's an area of "Law Enforcement" that has caught a few (in these forums) out ... judging by the number of threads on the topic.

Folks can't say they weren't warned.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Well we could do with some here as there seems to be no rules when it comes to parking - utes parked overnight on wrong side of road near intersection, cars parked across the driveway entrance and blocking the footpath, cars on the footpath parallel to the street and completely blocking the footpath etc etc.

And yet we find people complaining about mobility scooters driving out onto the road to get around a vehicle parked across the footpath...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Well we could do with some here as there seems to be no rules when it comes to parking ...
    Well ... funny you should say that. Most people that park in 10 minute parking areas and similar ... like knowing there isn't a council parking warden on the prowl and simply ignore any time limits. (Alexandra doesn't have one either) All well and good ... until it's THEM that needs a park. A different story then ...

Go figure ..

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    It all goes back a few years.

In the early 1900s councils had their own traffic departments, as the government had a police force, but no national traffic department. As cars became more numerous, the demand for regulation of traffic grew. Eventually, the government set up a traffic department, we knew it as the Ministry of Transport.

Fines were how the various councils funded their traffic departments. For example, for stationary offences the revenue went 90% to council, 10% to central government. For mobile offences e,g, seatbelts, the split was 60% to council, 40% to central government. In this way councils funded their own departments.

Many towns kept their own traffic departments, and anywhere there wasn't one, the MoT had responsibility for traffic matters. When an MoT officer wrote a ticket, the fine went 100% to central government. Over time, cities gave control over to the MoT, as the cost of running their own departments grew beyond the income generated.

When I joined Auckland City Traffic in 1988 as a traffic cop, there were 5 cities left with their own traffic departments. Auckland, Tamaki, Mt Albert,. Napier and Invercargill.

Prebble had a plan to merge the Police with a traffic department, and it was always going to be easier to merge one department with Police. So they adjusted the revenue split, and the last 5 councils merged with the MoT in October 1990. Months later, the Police took over the MoT.

Many cities retained their parking function, due to the higher revenue split making it affordable to do so.

Before the Police integration 1 July 1992, the councils could tell their traffic departments what to do, and it was done. Now, councils have very liuttle influence over what Police do. So if a resident has a parking issue with, say, someone parking in a bad place outside a school, yellow lines etc, and there is no local parking department, the Police get called, and are usually too busy or too disinterested to do anything. Cops don't want to write parking tickets, it's beneath them.

It's how we got to where we we are. Eventually there'll be a move to go back to cities having their own departments, over and above parking. But nobody wants to admit it. I gather that Auckland Transport has some enforcement powers like we used to have as traffic cops. Some cities have cameras for bus lane offences. Speed cameras are reverting to NZTA, since Police have shown that they would prefer to be popular than effective.

Back to the future.

Thread Information