Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Braking - My Take

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    A little while back I made a post about stock on the road. It may help some. But every situation is different.

And I've been lucky a few times too.
    Bumping into a blind Irish wolf hound following the barks of the other dogs herding sheep across the road is an ineresting experience. He was HUGE with the top of his head at the same hieght as the 1" rise handle bars on a CX500.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I ride Road bikes, dirt bikes and raced both and have a horses for courses approach.
    Road riding has it's own challenges, so I have a set up and ride style pretty much exactly like bonez. My rear brake is set up that it only kinda starts to lock at the very bottom of the lever travel arc, and my riding style is based around button off and engine braking (mild) and roll the throttle on gently just before the apex - in other words, ride in a way the brakes are not required. Emergency braking I use both in measures dictated by road surface, road incline and grip available.
    Bonez also mentions critters, especially the ever popular wayward NZ sheep. I'm my much younger days I came over a rise and through a set of esses at speed, and a bloody sheep launched a surprise attack. I braked as best I could, and managed to chop down a gear and just before impact, I got off the brakes and hit the throttle as hard as I could, while aiming for it's flanks and punched it straight off the road. If hitting an animal is unavoidable, what ever you do, don't hit it while under brakes, if at all possible scrub off as much speed as possible, then accelerate into it - trust me, it is your best chance of staying on the bike.
    I can vouch for this technique with badgers. Weight back and a touch of throttle turns them into a furry kicker. Like hitting a bag of concrete.

Well, it worked on an XT 350.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Will keep it in mind it I ever see one.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Several old ones

Dirt entirely different to tarseal

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    A lot of this depends on your biking background too. Dirt bikers tend to use the rear brake a lot (Such as myself) as it has a number of uses on an off road bike. For instance it took me a while to realise that applying the back brake when in the air helped bring the front wheel down - Sounds obvious but it took a number of goes to get the feel for it.

On the road I've always seen the back brake as a means of 'Sucking' the bike to the road. 'Sea anchor' also covers it pretty well too. Any time there's a twisty road and I want to scrub off a little excess speed going into bends I'll use the back brake. On a bumpy road I'll also use it on the way out of a tight/hairpin bend in order to allow the power to apply more smoothly. This has become even more important in recent years with fuel injected, emissions-friendly bikes' abrupt throttle response. In fact I'll still do this even on bikes with TC as I don't want to rely on the TC as a matter of course.

The occasional practicing of emergency braking using both is a good idea and is something I'll remember to do more often having read this thread. Of course when riding something such as the m109 brakes assume less importance given the amount of engine braking on offer!
    I got back on a dirt bike (WR250) after years of road riding, it had been raining the day before but surface was dryish, going down a slight grassy slope about 50km/hr, tapped the front brake and a little back brake, I hit the deck before I knew what happened, and hit hard , the guy following me said man you went down fast, are you ok, luckily I was only shocked a bit sore but no real damage. I can only put it down to the fact that I was used to front braking on road bikes and was a bit over confident of the front brake. I learnt a lesson from that and if road or surface is a little greasy, wet , shiny, or dirty be very careful on over using front brake.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That's kinda exactly how I broke my ribs 4 weeks ago. Grass is slippery. Didn't tap brake though.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    That's kinda exactly how I broke my ribs 4 weeks ago. Grass is slippery. Didn't tap brake though.
    Hurt like a motherfucker for a long time dont they ?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I've just had a couple of nights that I could sleep in a bed rather than a chair. I've done floating ribs before and they were a piece of cake in comparison.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I've just had a couple of nights that I could sleep in a bed rather than a chair. I've done floating ribs before and they were a piece of cake in comparison.
    Get some titanium bits to hold them together, that's what I did
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ribs.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	348539
    Pretty much caused by a lack of braking due to slippery downhill bumpy surface
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Get some titanium bits to hold them together, that's what I did
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ribs.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	348539
    Pretty much caused by a lack of braking due to slippery downhill bumpy surface
    Looks like a iud......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    If hitting an animal is unavoidable, what ever you do, don't hit it while under brakes,
    That's good advice. It also applies to inanimate planks of wood and other detritus that suddenly appears in your path.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's good advice. It also applies to inanimate planks of wood and other detritus that suddenly appears in your path.
    I don't think you'll get a responce from numbnuts for a wee while yet pritch. If you can not see an inanimate piece of debris lying on the road in broard daylight you are either blind or traveling at 170kph over hill and dale out side city limits everywhere.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I've had several experiences of objects falling off peoples trailers, trucks and so on in front of me. I've also been following vehicles in front that have run over debris redistributing them, and wammo, one has to take action to mitigate. Think you will find most motorcyclists have at some stage experienced thus. Unless one lives a charmed life. When it comes to motorcycle safety threads, it may not be the best place to troll in an effort to score points over a personal vendetta.

Just sayin.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I don't think you'll get a responce from numbnuts for a wee while yet pritch. If you can not see an inanimate piece of debris lying on the road in broard daylight you are either blind or traveling at 170kph over hill and dale out side city limits everywhere.
    ...if only I had the Magic Lamp, the Genie and the Three Wishes...I'd actually consider wasting one on making you go away...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...if only I had the Magic Lamp, the Genie and the Three Wishes...I'd actually consider wasting one on making you go away...
    Oh you poor poor thing. You south Island blood nuts should get a room.

Having been a red head for 61 years and counting it is unbelievable to see what softkocks you lot down there are. Bitter angry little men wearing skirts all of you.

You're a complete disgrace to the Ginga gen pool. Piff!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    Right. Everyone check the back of their cupboards and at any garage sales, old relatives etc. Must be able to find one somewhere.

Thread Information