Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 day mixed metal & seal, North Island run looking for a fellow inmate.

Bike
    DRZ400E

Exclamation 6 day mixed metal & seal, North Island run looking for a fellow inmate.

Hi All, long time lurker, etc, etc,

I am in the process of planning a 6 day ride around the middle of the North Island on a DRZ400. It will be as much metal and gravel as I can reasonably muster without intimate knowledge of the area. Below is a link to the proposed route divvied up by day. I am thinking early March at this point though weather permitting as the the Mighty Motu river run is one leg of the journey.

Starting point is generally the Titirangi area of Auckland, but the ride doesn't really start until around Drury. Likewise, nothing is set in stone so bailout points are there anytime.

I am still in the planning phases for lodging petrol spots and such. So have a look and PM or reply if you are keen. If you just want to slag the ride and talk crap, fire away.

I ride a DRZ400 with an 18L tank so can get about 200kms between stops. My experience riding gravel is moderate and the days I have laid out may not be reasonable, but somewhat punishing is what I'm going for. I'm not a fast rider, just persistent. No camping on this one, it will be hostels/backpackers/motels/roadside pubs, mangers or whatever can be gotten.

Ideally any one(s) interested, we would meet up to discuss and do a bit of a scoot around and shakedown.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...mq&usp=sharing

I will crosspost in ADVRider as welllllll.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    If you get further south closer to Palmerston North for some reason Connie and I can put you up for the night if needed. Very secure parking with surveillance cameras.

Welcome to the mad house.

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Much thanks Bonez!! I will keep you in mind as the nuts fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    If you get further south closer to Palmerston North for some reason Connie and I can put you up for the night if needed. Very secure parking with surveillance cameras.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

and banjo music all night long where you'll be sitting on the front porch whittling away some sticks with a peice of straw in your mouth...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    and banjo music all night long where you'll be sitting on the front porch whittling away some sticks with a peice of straw in your mouth...
    Sushhhhhhh

wizzard I'm Csaluser2000 over at AdvRider- https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-z...17729/page-133

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    from New Plymouth down to Stratford, up the forgotten highway 43 to whangamomona and taumaranui, to bennydale, through the Pureora Forest would get you to taupo, then off the napier taupo road at Iwitahi, lots of gravel to Murapura, down to waikarimoana to frasertown, up to gisborne and on to Motu from there.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Sweet! I will have a look at those! Thank you!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Oparau to Urenui, look up Kiwi Rd.

If you haven't already, sign up here and see lots of North Island stuff available to you https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Cheers Gremlin, added as it is right on the way! I'm looking into that road along with SH43 and will see what I can come up with to maximise and not loop around too much. Nothing is set so far and clicking and dragging is easy!

5th edit now... DANG, if I add in some of the stuff from the suggestions, I may have to add a 7th day!!!

Bike
    DRZ400E

Modified the tracks going south along the west

In taking on the suggestions from fellow innmates I have created a couple of alternate routes which effectively get me to the same places, but via twistier paths and without adding hugely to the time. Have a looksee

Cheers,
    Whiz

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    In taking on the suggestions from fellow innmates I have created a couple of alternate routes which effectively get me to the same places, but via twistier paths and without adding hugely to the time. Have a looksee

Cheers,
    Whiz
    where is the link to your new track?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Hmmmm I thought the original link would go to the same page, perhaps not, anyway here it is, nothing major just a few tweaks. Now looking for good spots for the night around the stop points.

Planning on Oponui Road house first night and likely a backpackers in Stratford.

https://tinyurl.com/y6bdare9

Any suggestions for places to stay with company in the areas of:
    Stratford
    Taihape
    Wairoa
    Opotiki

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    Hmmmm I thought the original link would go to the same page, perhaps not, anyway here it is, nothing major just a few tweaks. Now looking for good spots for the night around the stop points.

Planning on Oponui Road house first night and likely a backpackers in Stratford.

https://tinyurl.com/y6bdare9

Any suggestions for places to stay with company in the areas of:
    Stratford
    Taihape
    Wairoa
    Opotiki
    Your original link does get updated and works just fine whizzard

Bike
    DRZ400E

Van Houtte Road heading south out of Raglan, passable?

Looking through the step by step directions and noticed a Van Houtte Road in Raglan. Following the street pics it gets up to a cow crossing and what looks like a pic of a heavily overgrown private road sign.

Anyone been on it or know if you can pass or if it's private access by permission?

Cheers,
    Whizzard

Here's the road: https://tinyurl.com/4y8nzh7p

Bike
    DRZ400E

Moki Track

Also, anyone taken the Moki Track recently? Looks nice!

Thread Information