Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your comments am speechless

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Looking at google maps "streetview", if a driver/rider turns into Tram Rd from Old Main Rd, heading west, there are 3 T-junctions, on the left, within the next 600metres. And yet before reaching the first T-junction there is a speed de-restriction sign...

Who makes the decision to allow a speed limit of 100km/h through a section of road where there are vehicles turning right into a roadway across oncoming traffic [right turn onto southbound on-ramp or turning right onto Greigs Rd] or turning right out of a roadway across a traffic flow [turning right off northbound off-ramp or turning right out of Greigs Rd]?

BTW, was there another crash at this off-ramp/on-ramp more recently involving someone turning right at the end of the off-ramp?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Looking at google maps "streetview", if a driver/rider turns into Tram Rd from Old Main Rd, heading west, there are 3 T-junctions, on the left, within the next 600metres. And yet before reaching the first T-junction there is a speed de-restriction sign...

Who makes the decision to allow a speed limit of 100km/h through a section of road where there are vehicles turning right into a roadway across oncoming traffic [right turn onto southbound on-ramp or turning right onto Greigs Rd] or turning right out of a roadway across a traffic flow [turning right off northbound off-ramp or turning right out of Greigs Rd]?

BTW, was there another crash at this off-ramp/on-ramp more recently involving someone turning right at the end of the off-ramp?
    Maybe they have been listening to the usual KB whingers complaining about more and more speed restrictions.

Just saying....

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The summary of facts raised the issue that the rider was in excess of the speed limit. That was the only mitigating factor I could see.

I agree though, perhaps we have not seen the whole story.

Who was the suitably qualified person who determined the speed? Just happened to be a radar trap nearby?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

business man vs family man?

Neither party were completely blameless, but if the motorcyclist wasn't speeding he might have avoided the crash. It's kinda why they say don't speed because one day someone who forgot to take their trailer into account decides they can make the turn in front of you in time.

What if the roles were reversed and someone speeding hit a turning motorcycle?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Who was the suitably qualified person who determined the speed? Just happened to be a radar trap nearby?

There's a bunch of scientific methods to use the scene examination to determine speed. Impact, debris field, surface markings, impact point crush, all that sort of stuff.

I've done a few crash reconstruction courses, and I ain't an expert. The guy in the photo is an eccentric police Sergeant who could tell how high in the air a fly was from the impact damage it had when it hit the floor. I know him, if he says the bike was doing 100, he's probably right.

You probably know more than him though, its the KB way, after all.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    ... Who makes the decision to allow a speed limit of 100km/h through a section of road where ...
    Look at it this way ... Who makes the decision to travel at 1oo km/hr on any road ... be it fog ... or pissing down rain ... or on heavy traffic areas bumper to bumper .. ??? The drivers of Motor vehicles. But that speed limit isn't a target. Apparently. If the system/layout in the area is working ... because if not enough idiots have proved it's a problem ... there isn't an issue. And NOTHING will change.

High crash areas usually attract a Government sanctioned lower speed limit ... and then EVERYBODY bitches about the few stupid drivers causing lower speed limits imposed in areas that should have the higher speed limits.

And YOU want a lower speed zone ... because YOU think it's dangerous .. ???

Two questions ...

(1) Is the area you described a "High Crash Zone" ... ???

If the answer is yes ... the lower speed limit will be there soon.

(2) If the answer is NO ... then not enough shit drivers have shown it to be a "Dangerous" area/road. And the speed limit will not change.

Look around a bit more at the "Logic" of speed zone changes ... like 100 km/hr signs placed 50 meters before Stop and Give Way signs.

Most idiots don't crash at those either. Have YOU crashed in the area you mentioned .. ??

Are we now breeding smarter idiots ... ??? Perhaps ... Go figure.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Look at it this way ... Who makes the decision to travel at 1oo km/hr on any road ... be it fog ... or pissing down rain ... or on heavy traffic areas bumper to bumper .. ??? The drivers of Motor vehicles. But that speed limit isn't a target. Apparently. If the system/layout in the area is working ... because if not enough idiots have proved it's a problem ... there isn't an issue. And NOTHING will change.

High crash areas usually attract a Government sanctioned lower speed limit ... and then EVERYBODY bitches about the few stupid drivers causing lower speed limits imposed in areas that should have the higher speed limits.

And YOU want a lower speed zone ... because YOU think it's dangerous .. ???

Two questions ...

(1) Is the area you described a "High Crash Zone" ... ???

If the answer is yes ... the lower speed limit will be there soon.

(2) If the answer is NO ... then not enough shit drivers have shown it to be a "Dangerous" area/road. And the speed limit will not change.

Look around a bit more at the "Logic" of speed zone changes ... like 100 km/hr signs placed 50 meters before Stop and Give Way signs.

Most idiots don't crash at those either. Have YOU crashed in the area you mentioned .. ??

Are we now breeding smarter idiots ... ??? Perhaps ... Go figure.
    Must spread some rep around unfortunately.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Serious question: people are talking a lot about fines / public naming / jail time but nobody seems to be talking about drivers licenses.

What if this businessman loses his license? Totally? Y'know, restart the whole bastard of a process from absolute learner scratch?

What if this becomes a very real penalty if someone gets hurt or killed on our roads?

Would this actually work? (in terms of modifying ordinary kiwi driver behaviour?)

Is this penalty already on the books?

For that matter, is it enforceable?

Would it be counterproductive, in terms of an increase in hit and runs or simply unlicensed drivers not bothering to go through the process in the first place?

I find it surprising that this isn't being discussed, either here or in the very angry posts on FB. I find it even more surprising that the guy is (presumably) still allowed to drive himself around. Kiwi car culture. I reckon we're blinkered by it, we cannot see options outside drive everywhere.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    There's a bunch of scientific methods to use the scene examination to determine speed. Impact, debris field, surface markings, impact point crush, all that sort of stuff.
    I've been to a coroners court from a motorsport fatality and the police at that didn't have clue on estimating the speed
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Serious question: people are talking a lot about fines / public naming / jail time but nobody seems to be talking about drivers licenses.

What if this businessman loses his license? Totally? Y'know, restart the whole bastard of a process from absolute learner scratch?

What if this becomes a very real penalty if someone gets hurt or killed on our roads?

Would this actually work? (in terms of modifying ordinary kiwi driver behaviour?)

Is this penalty already on the books?

For that matter, is it enforceable?

Would it be counterproductive, in terms of an increase in hit and runs or simply unlicensed drivers not bothering to go through the process in the first place?

I find it surprising that this isn't being discussed, either here or in the very angry posts on FB. I find it even more surprising that the guy is (presumably) still allowed to drive himself around. Kiwi car culture. I reckon we're blinkered by it, we cannot see options outside drive everywhere.
    It is totally and completely STUPID to consider EVERY driver that is in control of a motor vehicle on the road is actually LICENSED. If they DO NOT ... one might expect they have a conscious if they hurt (OR KILL) somebody ... hope they might actually care about a bad result to their offending ... and change how they live/drive. Will they even start to consider/understand WHY the rules pertaining to driving on OUR roads are in place. Read the Court pages ... apparently not.

You (or anybody else) DO NOT need a valid drivers license to drive a motor vehicle on the roads of New Zealand. Just climb in one and GO. The LAWS are just a "Technicality" that many just ignore. (If YOU do [or have done] ... you will neither be the first (or last) to do so)

And do you think THOSE that do ... think it is "Counter Productive" .. ???

And if those that choose to reply to yours or my post ... may only do so if they have NEVER driven a motor vehicle outside of ALL the LEGAL driving requirements currently in LAW now/then in New Zealand ... how many replies would YOU expect ... ?? I wouldn't expect any from these forums.

My driving was not ALWAYS within the bounds of NZ law. Was YOUR driving always legal .. ??

Cynical maybe ... but closer to fact than many might think.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I've been posting on another forum about this and I am universally slammed and hated. I infer from this that my stance about drivers being homicidal maniacs actively trying to kill me is in fact correct.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Must spread some rep around unfortunately.
    One of my favourite speed zone changes.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-45.1...7i13312!8i6656

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I've been to a coroners court from a motorsport fatality and the police at that didn't have clue on estimating the speed
    A "motor sport event" covers a very wide range of "events" You need to be a bit more specific luv.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It is totally and completely STUPID to consider EVERY driver that is in control of a motor vehicle on the road is actually LICENSED. If they DO NOT ... one might expect they have a conscious if they hurt (OR KILL) somebody ... hope they might actually care about a bad result to their offending ... and change how they live/drive. Will they even start to consider/understand WHY the rules pertaining to driving on OUR roads are in place. Read the Court pages ... apparently not.

You (or anybody else) DO NOT need a valid drivers license to drive a motor vehicle on the roads of New Zealand. Just climb in one and GO. The LAWS are just a "Technicality" that many just ignore. (If YOU do [or have done] ... you will neither be the first (or last) to do so)

And do you think THOSE that do ... think it is "Counter Productive" .. ???

And if those that choose to reply to yours or my post ... may only do so if they have NEVER driven a motor vehicle outside of ALL the LEGAL driving requirements currently in LAW now/then in New Zealand ... how many replies would YOU expect ... ?? I wouldn't expect any from these forums.

My driving was not ALWAYS within the bounds of NZ law. Was YOUR driving always legal .. ??

Cynical maybe ... but closer to fact than many might think.
    Errr.... yeah. I think maybe I should clarify:

It's an option. We aren't discussing it. I accept that it is a long, long way from a perfect idea. I think that this should be discussed. You're doing that right now.

But damn mate, calm down. It's not about stripping people's licenses because they pushed the law. Or about NZ's problem with illegal drivers or similar... we have penalties for getting caught doing that, it's not risk free. My point ultimately was this: Mr Businessman killed someone. His continued (legal) use of a motor vehicle should at least be questioned. It isn't. That isn't part of our culture.

Get nicked for doing 41 over the limit and that's it, license gone because you might have caused something... actually put someone into the ground and nobody even thinks to ask if you should be allowed to keep driving!! Isn't this fucking bizarre?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Errr.... yeah. I think maybe I should clarify:

It's an option. We aren't discussing it. I accept that it is a long, long way from a perfect idea. I think that this should be discussed. You're doing that right now.

But damn mate, calm down. It's not about stripping people's licenses because they pushed the law. Or about NZ's problem with illegal drivers or similar... we have penalties for getting caught doing that, it's not risk free. My point ultimately was this: Mr Businessman killed someone. His continued (legal) use of a motor vehicle should at least be questioned. It isn't. That isn't part of our culture.

Get nicked for doing 41 over the limit and that's it, license gone because you might have caused something... actually put someone into the ground and nobody even thinks to ask if you should be allowed to keep driving!! Isn't this fucking bizarre?
    The basic premise is that operating a motor vehicle is a right, and until it goes back to being a privilege, and is treated that way...nothing much will change

Got no issue with someone losing their licence, and having to start from scratch after a fatal at fault accident. Not like the victim can push a reset button

Thread Information